FS02 to FS0J firmware update causes crash (411S)

vbimport

Hope I found the right place to post this. I also searched the forum for similar problems but did not see anything. Sorry if this has already be covered.

I have a Lite ON 411S. I recently updated my firmware from FS02 to FS0J which I downloaded from liteon.

The flash indicated that it installed fine but on reboot my computer boots into Windows but then crashes after message about finding new hardware CD-ROM.

I am left with the blue screen and a message about Stop … ‘cdr4_xp.sys’. If I disable both of my optical drives I am able to boot into Windows.

I currently have a DELL 400SC with Win XP PRO.

Any direction/advice would be helpfull. TIA

You could try uninstalling the drive from Device Manager and restarting…

Or if that doesn’t work; to see if it’s a firmware problem you could use mtkflash (see tools guide in my sig) to re-flash the drive.

You could also try deleting that file “'cdr4_xp.sys” and see what happens. Just make sure to backup a copy first and write down where the file was located so you can replace it afterwards.

THank- you very much for the prompt response.

I have to disable both of my optical drives to even boot into Windows (ie via F2 entering setup and turning OFF both Secondary IDE drives). There are no DVD/CD ROM Devices even present in Device Manager when I do this.

Thanks again!

If you take a second to read the tools guide you will see mtkflash is run from DOS. Therefore it doesn’t need to be detected in Windows to work.

Does the drive show up in the BIOS?

Did you try deleting that file like I asked yet?

Ssseth am working on your ideas/suggestions … my response was directed toward ‘dhc014’ I didnt see your message until after that post.

I will try your ideas. Your Comprehensive LiteOn Tools Collection is awesome.

Thank-you.

Originally posted by tankm1a2
[B]Ssseth am working on your ideas/suggestions … my response was directed toward ‘dhc014’ I didnt see your message until after that post.

I will try your ideas. Your Comprehensive LiteOn Tools Collection is awesome.

Thank-you. [/B]

No problem and thanks.
Let us know how it goes either way.

1. I tried deleting ‘cdr4_xp.sys’. Windows booted and the device manager showed both optical drives but with a ‘?’. The driver was not able to load. I moved on to tryin to reflash the FW from DOS.

2. I created a bootdisk to for WinME and booted with CDROM support. I used idediag to verify LiteON drive could be seen and the location (Secondary Master). idediag did show FS0J firmware that I flashed from windows.

3. I downloaded FS0F bin from liteonmods.bonwalcpm.com/

4. I tried mtkflash (MTKFLASH 3 W /B FS0F.BIN) to the appropriate IDE location and I got a message about it starting but could not load file.

Results:

1. Now idediag no longer sees the liteon drive
  2. Now on normal windows boot the liteon drive is no longer even recognized by the bios. I have to turn Seconday Master OFF.

Can I recover from this? TIA

Can I recover from this? TIA

Have you tried this:
MTKFLASH 2 W /B XXXX.BIN ?

I had a “dead” Lite-On CDRW drive long time ago. Hooked it on PS and flashed back to ‘live’.! :slight_smile:

Whats the chipset of your mobo?

Originally posted by pinto2
[B]Have you tried this:
MTKFLASH 2 W /B XXXX.BIN ?

I had a “dead” Lite-On CDRW drive long time ago. Hooked it on PS and flashed back to ‘live’.! :slight_smile:

Whats the chipset of your mobo? [/B]

Thanks for the reponse pinto2 …
DELL PowerEdge 400SC
P4-3.2Ghz CPU, Intel Pentium 4C
Intel 875P chipset

Another question (or two) :

1. Does the drive actually have to be seen by the BIOS (ie does idediag have to report/see it before you even have the chance of flashing it) or can MTKFLASH see it regardless if it is simply installed.
  2. When I boot from my WinME boot disk … should I select Boot w/CDROM support, Boot without CDROM support or Minimal boot … or does it even matter?

Again my BIOS no longer recognizes my liteon drive so I am trying to understand if MTKFLASH can see/flash it?

I will try your advice on connecting it as the Slave on the Primary IDE … any advice on how did you do this … the HD slots are far from the CD slots (I will look for an alternate cable).

TIA

1. Dead is DEAD. Not seen by BIOS…

2. WinME… Loooong time ago since I have seen it.
    Minimal boot, I think. Maybe you have to load “himem.sys” or smartdrv but Im not sure. [Using NT for the last five years]

Yes, Primary Slave is the way to go…:slight_smile:

EDIT: you can create a DOS boot disk in XP. A:, Format–>

[B]1. Dead is DEAD. Not seen by BIOS…

1. WinME… Loooong time ago since I have seen it.
    Minimal boot, I think. Maybe you have to load “himem.sys” or smartdrv but Im not sure. [Using NT for the last five years]

Yes, Primary Slave is the way to go…:slight_smile:

EDIT: you can create a DOS boot disk in XP. A:, Format–> [/B]

I tried the liteon on the Primary IDE as the Slave. The jumper on the HD was set to M and the liteon to S … now the BIOS didnt recognize the HD. I was able to use the same cable I was using so I dont know what the problem was. The HD was on the end.

BTW … I used the WinME boot disc because it also mounts the NTFS drives as readable. That is where I had and ran MTKFLASH.EXE and FS0F.BIN (on the NTFS partition).

Arghhh … this has been a nightmare. Is it hopeless?

TIA

… I used the WinME boot disc because it also mounts the NTFS drives as readable. That is where I had and ran MTKFLASH.EXE and FS0F.BIN (on the NTFS partition).

OK, lets make things clear. You can NOT acces any NTFS partitions from real DOS (aka ME boot disk)…!
[But, there are other tools like NTFSDOS for this. (out of topic)]

Back to start.

Floppy1:
-Make “DOS startdisk” in XP [My compu–>A:–>rightclick, chose ‘format’–>mark ‘make a DOS startd.’–>OK]

Floppy2:
-Copy mtkflash v. 1.80 and the .BIN firmware to the floppy.
(You will find mtkflash v.1.80 here)

-Restart the compu with floppy1 in floppydrive. Load DOS and you will get
‘A:>’
-Put floppy2 in your floppydrive. Run the command as described above.

Load. :cool:

Sorry for delay. I was on my Linux partition

pinto2 …

Thanks for the review of exactly what to do.

But isnt all of this moot since my BIOS is no longer even recognizing my liteon drive?

Thank-you

But isnt all of this moot since my BIOS is no longer even recognizing my liteon drive?
Thank-you

Nope… :slight_smile:

Nope… :slight_smile:

Since my HD wasnt recognized when I installed my LiteOn on the Primary [as Slave] … can I just install the LiteOn on P as M and boot from floppy1 and run mtkflash 1 W /B fs0f.bin from floppy2?

Thanks a millions again.

[B]Since my HD wasnt recognized when I installed my LiteOn on the Primary [as Slave] … can I just install the LiteOn on P as M and boot from floppy1 and run mtkflash 1 W /B fs0f.bin from floppy2?

Thanks a millions again. [/B]

Yes, you can do that.

Myself I’ve always flashed my drive on Secondary Master (aka 3) and haven’t had issues.
I use 1.80.1. That is the newest version and does not require the /b command.

So it’s:

mtkflash 3 w fsof.bin

with 1.80.1

Still NO success

1. I tried connecting the LiteON drive on Primary as Master and booted from Floppy1.
    Put in Floppy2 mtkflash 1 w /B FS0F.BIN
    I got an error message: Failed to initial IDE ports … please reboot.

2. I put the LiteOn [Secondary Master] in a different machine (DELL 8200, WinXP PRO) and booted from Floppy1
    Put in Floppy2 mtkflash 3 w /B fs0f.bin
    I got an error message:
    Flash type: SST (SST39LF/VF080) (3.3v)
    Upgrading … 0%
    Err: Failed to open input file

In attempt 2 … can anyone help on what the error message means? Is it the FS0F file failed to open or failed to open the firmware for writing?

Can someone provide me a known good FS0F.BIN file for the LDW-411S?

I thank everyone for their time in trying to help … it is greatly appreciated!!

Find a known working copy (the one I used to use on my 411S) here.
Have a read through this topic for some more info that might be helpful.

If you still get the same error with that .bin, try 1.80.1 next and see if that helps. (remember with 1.80.1 you don’t use the /b switch)

WOW

I was able to finally update the firmware to FS0F … my LiteON is alive again. Thanks Ssseth and pinto2 for guiding me through this … I learned a lot from you!

But, … I still have the same problem I started with.

When finishing the boot to Win XP Pro and the new device CDROM type device is found Windows crashes and I have the blue screen and a message about Stop … ‘cdr4_xp.sys’.

This seems to happen with any optical drive. The odd thing is both the LiteOn and my Samsung DVD worked before I flashed to FS0J? Now when I install either I get the Stop … ‘cdr4_xp.sys’ crash?

Arghh … thanks agains!!