Frusturating laptop Integrated microphone

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lenovo ThinkPad T61p. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a laptop with an integrated microphone.

When I would go into video games and record video and audio, the audio would come in through my integrated microphone (picking up background noise in my room as well as the sound from my physical speakers).

I fixed this problem by running a cable from my headphones jack into my microphone jack. The only problem is, now the mic doesn’t work for it’s previous use, to talk to the other players in the game.

What can I do to broadcast my voice while receiving the game’s sound directly from my computer?

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=txenakis;2451004]I have a laptop with an integrated microphone.

When I would go into video games and record video and audio, the audio would come in through my integrated microphone (picking up background noise in my room as well as the sound from my physical speakers). [/quote]That’s normal.

I fixed this problem by running a cable from my headphones jack into my microphone jack.
:eek: Not a good idea. :disagree:

What can I do to broadcast my voice while receiving the game’s sound directly from my computer?
I’d suggest getting a USB headset for the “game communication”.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2451012]Hi and Welcome!That’s normal.

:eek: Not a good idea. :disagree:
I’d suggest getting a USB headset for the “game communication”.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Why is it not a good idea? It works quite well.

Can you elaborate more on how a USB headset would fix my problem?

[QUOTE=txenakis;2451016]Why is it not a good idea? It works quite well.[/quote]The line-out and the mic-in work on different “voltage” levels. Feeding a line level signal to a mic input might cause overloading that input. Some onboard audio can be reconfigured, in order to switch the mic-in to line-in level. In such case, there is no overload.

Can you elaborate more on how a USB headset would fix my problem?
An USB headset works like a second sound card and is recognised as such by the operating system. In many games, this second soundcard can be configured to be used for in-game-communication. Check the documentation of your games if such options exist.

Also, the mic from the headset is closer to your mouth, so there is less “game sound” when you speak to others. And you can speak to your game friends while recording the game sound with your onboard audio system.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2451025]The line-out and the mic-in work on different “voltage” levels. Feeding a line level signal to a mic input might cause overloading that input. Some onboard audio can be reconfigured, in order to switch the mic-in to line-in level. In such case, there is no overload.[/QUOTE]

Well its working just fine now, should there be any signs that it is overloading?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2451025]An USB headset works like a second sound card and is recognised as such by the operating system. In many games, this second soundcard can be configured to be used for in-game-communication. Check the documentation of your games if such options exist.

Also, the mic from the headset is closer to your mouth, so there is less “game sound” when you speak to others. And you can speak to your game friends while recording the game sound with your onboard audio system.
[/QUOTE]
Will this USB headset nullify my existing integrated microphone? Therefore causing my recording program to record the sound comming out of my computer (as apposed to comming into my computer) while allowing me to communicate my voice in-game?

For more information i’m u sing Fraps and playing Left 4 Dead

Michael

Hi,[QUOTE=txenakis;2451037]Well its working just fine now, should there be any signs that it is overloading?[/quote]Distorted sound is one sign. You may check the options of your audio driver. Perhaps the input has automagically switched from “mic” to “line” mode.

Will this USB headset nullify my existing integrated microphone? Therefore causing my recording program to record the sound comming out of my computer (as apposed to comming into my computer) while allowing me to communicate my voice in-game?
I expect a setup

[ul]
[li]Line-out connected to line-in (onboard sound used for recording)[/li][li]Internal mic disabled [/li][li]USB headset for in-game communication[/li][/ul]to do what you want.

I have no personal experience with that :frowning:

Michael

[QUOTE=txenakis;2451037]Will this USB headset nullify my existing integrated microphone?[/quote] Generally yes, because by default only one source is defined (in this case your headset microphone)

If you want to record both the gaming sounds (speakers, audio out stuff) and your voice (microphone usb headset stuff) you need to define these 2 sources in your recording program.

If you want to record both the gaming sounds (speakers, audio out stuff) and your voice (microphone usb headset stuff) you need to define these 2 sources in your recording program.

These are the only settings in my recording program.

Edit:

I totally missed the point - null post.

[QUOTE=txenakis;2451304]
These are the only settings in my recording program.[/QUOTE]Doesn’t matter, unless you want record both, game sound and in-game communication. In case you want to use a USB headset for in-game communication (only), then the settings in your “fraps” application remain unchanged.

If you want to [I]record [/I]audio from two different sources at the same time, you need (semi-)professional audio recording software.

Michael

Thank you for your help Michael and Belvedere, I will try the USB headset.

Logitech has a good quality usb headset. I do believe it’s automatically recognized and needs no additional software.