Frustrated with dvd 16x writing

vbimport

Hi,

After hours of frustration to write to 16x dvd media, I am shouting for help.

I have the following setup:

System:
Intel P4 3 GHz
ASUS P5AD2 Premium
512X2 Kingston 1 GB Dual Channel
160 GB SATA
NVIDIA 6600GT 128 MB
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

Optical:

SONY DRU 820A IDE

Software:

WinXP SP2
Nero Burning Rom 6.

My probelms are:

1. The drive creates a lot of noise. I think the noise comes down after spin down period but it again keeps increasing and decreasing.

2. I can not record at 16x. I tried moserbaer and sony media but the same problem continues. I can burn at 4x and below which takes a lot of time to burn. I can not burn successfully all the time at 8x or above.

3. I have tried opening the drive completely and cleaning the lens etc (as its not in warranty anymore). The drive did have some dust, but the lens was clean.

4. I did update the firmware to latest 1.0C but the result is the same.

By now I have wasted too many hours of efforts and a lot of media. Sometime with success and most of the time with failed media and $s.

My questions are:

1. What is the solution to above?

2. Is it that my disk IO is slow? how do i know whether my HDD/Optical are fast enough or not? I wonder if the IO of P5AD2 premium would be ‘less’?

3. Why does the “used read buffer” buffer of my system fluctuate? It does reach even to 0 many times during the burn (however, remember my drives are properly in DMA and not in PIO). Than why does this occur?

4. After wasting efforts and $s on moserbaer, I tried Sony 16x media. Its interesting to note that initially, a few disk got created beautifully without any large noise or anything at 16x perfectly. After a few days, its not working at optimal. Does this media get ‘old and not usable’ with time?

5. Is my drive aging? In that case, do these drives have a running life of around 1 or 2 yrs? Earlier with Samsung drive also I faced the same trpe of issues.

6. Which DVD burner do you recommend? I heard a lot about LiteOn.

Please help.

-KishorK.

Anyone?

BTW, find more details:

1. The noise does not occur at 4x and below. Only at 8x or above, the drive makes a lot of noise…

2. The reducing “used read buffer” of Nero, occurs even if I do a same drive to same drive copy or from another dvd reader to this drive in my system…

3. The drive is in master mode on 80 pin cable. Is this okay to do? Am I supposed to attach a 40pin cable?

4. The mentioned media of moser and sony declares 16x on the media… so i believe they are 16x…

5. What I mean as not working on 8x or above is that Nero ultinately gives message of the kind of “Power calibratrion failure” or something like that at 8x or above…

Please help…

-KishorK

[quote=kishork;2029413]Hi,

After hours of frustration to write to 16x dvd media, I am shouting for help.

I have the following setup:

[B]System:[/B]
Intel P4 3 GHz
ASUS P5AD2 Premium
512X2 Kingston 1 GB Dual Channel
160 GB SATA
NVIDIA 6600GT 128 MB
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

[B]Optical:[/B]

SONY DRU 820A IDE

[B]Software:[/B]

WinXP SP2
Nero Burning Rom 6.

My probelms are:

1. The drive creates a lot of noise. I think the noise comes down after spin down period but it again keeps increasing and decreasing.

2. I can not record at 16x. I tried moserbaer and sony media but the same problem continues. I can burn at 4x and below which takes a lot of time to burn. I can not burn successfully all the time at 8x or above.

3. I have tried opening the drive completely and cleaning the lens etc (as its not in warranty anymore). The drive did have some dust, but the lens was clean.

4. I did update the firmware to latest 1.0C but the result is the same.

By now I have wasted too many hours of efforts and a lot of media. Sometime with success and most of the time with failed media and $s.

My questions are:

1. What is the solution to above?

2. Is it that my disk IO is slow? how do i know whether my HDD/Optical are fast enough or not? I wonder if the IO of P5AD2 premium would be ‘less’?

3. Why does the “used read buffer” buffer of my system fluctuate? It does reach even to 0 many times during the burn (however, remember my drives are properly in DMA and not in PIO). Than why does this occur?

4. After wasting efforts and $s on moserbaer, I tried Sony 16x media. Its interesting to note that initially, a few disk got created beautifully without any large noise or anything at 16x perfectly. After a few days, its not working at optimal. Does this media get ‘old and not usable’ with time?

5. Is my drive aging? In that case, do these drives have a running life of around 1 or 2 yrs? Earlier with Samsung drive also I faced the same trpe of issues.

6. Which DVD burner do you recommend? I heard a lot about LiteOn.

[B]Please help.[/B]

-KishorK.[/quote]

Any chance you can actually provide a burn log from Nero? It’ll help us find out what’s going wrong with the burn and when. :slight_smile:

Also. Download CD-DVD Speed, and with a burned disc in the drive, and the Benchmark tab open, go to the Run Test menu, and select “Burst Rate” - please give us the figure it reports (it’ll be in MB/s)

80 wire cable is ideal, no worries there :iagree:

Thanks a million Arachne for the reply.

I have attached the below files:

[B]FailureLog.txt : [/B]the log produced by Nero when the copy operation failed.

[B]SONY____DVD_RW_DRU-820A_1.0c.txt :[/B] The log of Burst Rate from CD-DVD speed. (This was csv I renamed to txt) The burst rate reported is 35 MB/s. Is that too good or too bad?

[B]InfoTool.txt : [/B]The log of Nero Info Tool.

[B]Burn Failure.JPG :[/B] The snap shot at the time when the burn failed. A few remarks at the time of this failure:

1. The failure in this case occured at 7% writing.

2. It waited for a LONG time at 7% before reporting failure.

3. This time the failure reason was some “seek error” compared to “power calibration failure”.

4. Most of the time, the failure occurs at 3%.

5. For this test, I was copying a dvd from my Samsung DVD Rom. Just clarifying
    as that would be mentioned in the log. The error occurs even otherwise.

6. The drives are attached to ITE8212 as primary master (sony) and secondary master (samsung). The error occurs even if i connect these to master slave of my only available IDE port.

7. The media is [B]SONY16D1[/B]

[B]BurstRate.JPG : [/B]The snap shot of burst test.

Awaiting further help…

-KishorK

FailureLog.txt (7.62 KB)

SONY____DVD_RW_DRU-820A_1.0c.txt (106 Bytes)

Hmmm, well the burst rate checks out, that’s good :slight_smile:

It looks like you have the Intel RAID drivers installed, and perhaps the drives don’t like that.

Cressida or Albert are good at those sorts of things, so hopefully they’ll come along and advise further on that. :wink:

Copying on the fly (directly from drive to drive), especially at the full 16x, is something I wouldn’t recommend. Have you tried copying to the hard drive first, then burning at say 8x?

If that causes a problem, then I’d say it’s possible the problem lies with the Intel RAID driver. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the QUICK response.

Yes the problem is with WRITING in general at above 8X. It was only for this test that i used a DVD in other drive and media in this drive. But otherwise, even if I try to burn say a .NRG image from HDD, it will fail if I dont speed below 4X. At 8X and above (i.e. 16x) it WILL fail almost all the time than not.

How do I remove the raid drivers that you mentioned?

Please guide further.

-Kishor K.

[QUOTE=kishork;2029536]
How do I remove the raid drivers that you mentioned?

Please guide further.

-Kishor K.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that part I’m not too sure about (I also have an Intel chipset board, but it’s not running in RAID mode).

As I said, hopefully someone else will come along and advise you on that (and also pick up on anything I’ve missed!). :slight_smile:

Your burst rate is more than adequate for 16x burning, so the problem shouldn’t lie there.

The buffer fluctuating is worrying, though. And Sony is usually very good media (Moser Baer are also good IMO, but a little less consistent in quality).

Open up device manager and find this device:

“ITE IT8212 ATA RAID Controller”

This is the device for which you will be changing the driver.

Right-click the device, select “Update driver”, don’t search Windows Update >>, “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” >>, “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install” >>, select “Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controller” >>, let the drivers install, and restart your system. Then try again.

Hi Albert,

I tried to so as you mentioned.

But I dont get to see “Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controller” in driver selection list for “ITE IT8212 ATA RAID Controller”.

I get a list as shown in the attached JPG and none of the selection has what you mentioned. Do i need to get this from my WinXP cd? If so, in which directory do i look for that?

But otherwise, if i install all these on my standard mobo IDE port and disable ITE8212, still the same problem is occuring. just fyi.

Awaiting…

• KishorK

Okay guys, taking a clue from Albert about update of ITE controller, I made couple of change…

1. I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Asus mobo site.

2. I uninstalled AnyDVD.

Now:

1. Its burning at 16X !

2. However, it took a long time to complete on the fly (>30 mins), may be due to slow source (?). So you are right Arachne, not to trust on the fly for 16X unless I have a trusted fast source drive.

3. Offline (direct from HDD) was really good speed (~8 mins).

4. the noise is silent like never before.

I dont know who played the trick - driver updates or AnyDVD. Or may be I dont know if the problem is over. I need to test few more disks.

Thanks Arachne and Albert. I was completely frustrated untill I came in contact here. I know its not over yet. I think there are a little couple of things to do still (like just now i can see that its stuck on 99%). But that must be due to the bad source. I will check and update you further.

Tell me the following:

1. Is it advisable to have optical on ITE8212 or shall I install on IDE?

2. Is there any real major concern if I have writer (dvd rw) on primary and reader (dvd rom) on slave on same IDE port? (I have only one IDE port).

-KishorK

Well, the Intel PATA controller might be a better choice, as it’s usually more widely compatible.

Many systems come set up as you said, with DVD RW as master, and CD-RW/CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or even a different DVD RW as slave. Some drives don’t play well with each other, but most of the time it is just fine. :iagree: