Frozen, Locked up , AND B S D

vbimport

I just found out some interesting Info that I thought I would put out just for us nooobies and food for thought.

Now my Sony DRU-820A just locked up for the first time ever while I was trying to back up one of my movies. Doing it the same way as I always do, using the same media that IT likes. What I noticed different was the amount of fragmentation I had on my separate drive E: that I use to copy my files to.
The interesting part is I had just Defraged that drive BEFORE coping my files to it , I do this out of habit trying to keep my hard drive clean.
When my Sony crashed and I had to do a Hard reboot I checked my E: drive and it said it was CRITICAL . I had just Defraged it not 15 mins. before it crashed. Said it was 55% frag. The Sony stopped the burn process at 32% so that disk was no good.
I decided to do another defrag while the movie folder was still on the drive ( do this at your own risk) your program might not like a defraged movie folder, and I tried my burn again. Sony burned a perfect burn as usual.
Maybe some of us are suffering from a fragmented drive when our burners freeze up. Ck. and defrag before this happens. Now I’m wondering if this was the problem with my Pioneer 115-D.

Yo-

I use Perfect Disc 9 Pro for my defrag and optimize program - and do a complete defrag/optimize every night before shutting down-

I have never had a BSD or tossed a coaster since I adopted this routine-

(actually do a cclean first - then defrag/optimize with Perfect Disc)

[quote=bigmike7;2040651]Yo-

I use Perfect Disc 9 Pro for my defrag and optimize program - and do a complete defrag/optimize every night before shutting down-

I have never had a BSD or tossed a coaster since I adopted this routine-

(actually do a cclean first - then defrag/optimize with Perfect Disc)[/quote]

I’m assuming cclean is Crap Cleaner or CCLeaner. I use that too.

mikkaph-mike…what defrag app do you use?

Hey Bob

Any Good one (DeFrag) you use?

I use [B]Diskeeper Pro.[/B] but I’m open to New suggestions.

I was thinking about just [B]formating the drive E:[/B] and starting over as it only has two things on it [U]right now[/U] but the two things are system prog. I have my [B]Pageing file[/B] there and my [B]System Restore file [/B] both I’ll have to move and put back after Format.

What do you think?

Hey mike,a couple of ?'s…Since you only show one HDD in your specs,I gather E: is in separate partition on C: drive…so how big is it? and why keep system restore and pg file there?..just use for copying movie files to…But IMO, 80 gigs is way to small for backing up/storing flick files since you’ll be constantly deleting some to store others…Just upgrade to larger HDD or add a second HDD for backing up movies…

I have Three partitions C: , D:, E:

C: Has [B]Oper. sys. only [/B] = 6 Gigs
D: Has Programs = 34 Gigs. [B]I fixed Regs. to have ALL prog by default
go to D:[/B]
E: Has Storage = 40 Gigs But [B]usually[/B] only has 10 to 20 % usage.

[B]WHY?[/B]

I thought the Page file and Restore file would be better there because I’m Always cleaning (Defrag.) that Drive E:.

You are right, I need to do a better job of proof reading my Sig. and fix that.

Yes I do that. " [B]constantly deleting " [/B]That’s why I Defrag alot before and after putting a movie on E:.

[B]Drive E: Partition to 40 Gigs[/B]. just for storage and movie BackUp till burned, which is usually as soon as I get them. I DELETE within a day or two after the Backup and I have confirmed it was a good Backup.

I don’t “Store” the Backups there on E: it’s just a [B]Name[/B] I gave E: .

I have 8-GrandKids :sad: Very hard on my DVD’s. LOL.
I’ve seen them as flying saucers going across the living room and used as " ninja stars" between the twins (Boys). I have to have Backups :iagree: the originals are under LOCK and KEY in my media cabinet.
I’m sorry I’m just rambling now.

This is way longer than it needs to be, Sorry about that.