Front Panel Audio Connectors

Hi there,
I am trying to connect the front audio panel connectors from my case (Pro-Power, some cheapo brand) to my motherboard (MSI K9N2GM-FIH ). I am not having much success as the instruction manual for the motherboard doesn’t seem to match the writing on the front panel plugs. I hope someone here can help me! The rear audio works great so there is no issue with drivers or anything, of which I always have the latest anyway. Here is what the manual says:

Pin - Signal - Description
1 - Mic_Out - Microphone-Left Channel
2 - Ground - Ground
3 - Mic_R - Microphone-Right Channel
4 - NC - No Control
5 - LINE_out_R - Analogue Port-Right Channel
6 - Mic_JD - Jack Detection Return From Front Panel Microphone JACK 1
7 - Front_JD - Jack Detection Sense Line From the High Definition Audio CODEC
– Jack Detection Resistor Network
8 - NC - No Control
9 - LINE_out_L - Analogue Port-Left Channel
10 - LINE_out_JD - Jack Detection Return From Front Panel JACK 2

Then the front panel connectors and their wire colors are as follows

GND - Black 1
GND - Black 2
L-OUT - Red
R-OUT - Yellow
R-IN - Purple
L-IN - Blue
MIC BIAS - Orange
MIC IN - Green

Thanks for any input you can give me guys, this has been doing my head in for hours!!:confused: I am scared to randomly test them in case i plug the wrong thing in the wrong place and damage the motherboard, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hi,[quote=Shaolinfist;2211492]Hi there,
I am trying to connect the front audio panel connectors from my case (Pro-Power, some cheapo brand) to my motherboard (MSI K9N2GM-FIH ). [/quote]Do you have also a manual for your case? Normally there is a sheet of paper that comes with it.

I am not having much success as the instruction manual for the motherboard doesn’t seem to match the writing on the front panel plugs.
Check MSI website if there is a better mainboard manual. MSI loves to feed the market with different versions of a certain motherboard model. :rolleyes:

Then the front panel connectors and their wire colors are as follows

GND - Black 1
GND - Black 2
L-OUT - Red
R-OUT - Yellow
R-IN - Purple
L-IN - Blue
MIC BIAS - Orange
MIC IN - Green

Thanks for any input you can give me guys, this has been doing my head in for hours!!:confused: I am scared to randomly test them in case i plug the wrong thing in the wrong place and damage the motherboard, so any help will be greatly appreciated!
If there are markings on the connectors from the case, then I’d connect them according to the real connector setup as present on your motherboard.

Michael

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately I do not have a manual for the case, it is a really cheap one made by Pro-Power who don’t even have a website… In fact it came with a PSU in the case which died on Sunday after a week… I have a new much better PSU on the way now, I am just praying that the dead PSU didnt take the motherboard or anything else with it. :bow:

Anyway back to the problem at hand. As I said I do not have a manual for the case. I downloaded the latest manual from MSI and it is exactly the same as the one that came with the mobo. Here is a screenshot of the manual.

](http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fpacgi5.jpg) [/IMG]

The problem is that the markings on the case connectors do not match the ones on the motherboard. Here are the case connectors again…

GND - Black 1
GND - Black 2
L-OUT - Red
R-OUT - Yellow
R-IN - Purple
L-IN - Blue
MIC BIAS - Orange
MIC IN - Green

For example there are 2 x ground wires for the case but only 1 on the motherboard. Also there is no MIC BIAS or MIC IN on the mobo. Once again any help is greatly appreciated.

OK I am making a little progress, I think that the case connectors are in the AC’97 format, and the motherboard audio connectors are HD audio. The question is, how do I plug the AC’97 audio connectors into the motherboards HD audio connectors?
Thanks again for any input.

Apologies, I misread your initial post.

I would not mind about the additional GND wire, but since the pinout is that different, I’d only take the risk to connect the L-OUT and R-OUT (plus GND), unless all these connectors are in a 10 pin connector block.

Perhaps an inexpensive USB audio device is the better option. :confused: This depends on your needs.

Or contact MSI support if they have an idea. :frowning:

Google isn’t that bad either :slight_smile:

Michael

Is it possible to damage the motherboard if i connect these incorrectly?

P.S I have asked MSI customer support if they can help me

Thanks again for any input

There is always a chance of of damaging components,when improper connections are made…That being said,at least it’ll give you an excuse to buy a new Mobo…:wink:

OK I have found this guide, im not sure but would this pin layout work on my HD Audio mobo? Or is it a standard layout for AC’97 front panel connectors?

](http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fpacuq3.jpg) [/IMG]

The image was taken from page 21 of this manual

Many thanks…

OK so I got a reply from MSI today! They suggested…

For your issue,if your case is compliant with Intel® Front Panel I/O Connectivity Design Guide.We suggest you to connect the cable with the Jaud1 according to cable color.
connect yellow wire to pin1(Mic)
connect red wire to pin3(MicPwr)
connect white wire to pin5(speaker_R)
connect green wire to pin9(Speaker_L)
connect black wire to pin2(ground)
connect purple wire to pin6(LineOut_R)
connect blue wire to pin10(LineOut_L)
Let pin7 and pin4 left.

I will give this a shot when my new power supply gets here on Friday, assuming that the motherboard isn’t shot!
Thanks again for all your help!

EDIT: Oh I just realised that i dont have a white wire, so this cant be right… back to the drawing board! Any suggestions welcomed!

On your MSI motherboard is a Realtek HD-audio-type chipset. It may not support the AC97 format as shown in the manual, since your old case’s front audio panel seems to only support. So it may be unlikely that you’ll be able to use it.

this is the assignment to use AC97pins on HD
if you want to use lineout and mic stereo mini plugs on your case.

pin 1 on HD to PIN 1 on AC97
PIN2 HD goes to pin2 on AC97
PIN3 HD- PIN3 on AC
PIN5HD- connect to both PIN5 and 6 on AC
PIN9HD-connect t both PIN9 and 10 on AC

All other HD and AC97 pins are not used…
Pls do on your own risk…
I took these pin assignments from my case which has a AC97 connector soldered to a HD Azalia connector by default…

Thanks for the reply Koba, but I dont understand the setup that you have mentioned… What do you mean by PIN1 on the AC97? I dont have a PIN1,2,3 etc for the AC’97 audio connectors. The AC’97 audio connectors are as follows…

GND - Black 1
GND - Black 2
L-OUT - Red
R-OUT - Yellow
R-IN - Purple
L-IN - Blue
MIC BIAS - Orange
MIC IN - Green

Thanks again!

It’s not different from this (already mentioned) information from Intel (who spec’d HDA):

Shaolin: Pls look at the pin assignment in your post about AC97 and HD…
It says PIN1 MIC etc…
And your MB should have pins in the layout that you have in the pic you posted about HD audio…