From Too Good To Be True Dept: 750w Gold PSU $70-$10 Rebate?!

vbimport

Nov 20-21 - NewEgg has hoisted a Thermaltake PSU 750 GOLD up the mast with a $70 price then offering a $10 mail-in-rebate.

GOLD?!! 750?!! Heck, I don’t think I’ve seen ANY Gold-rated PSU at this price!

While I’m not a big believer in Reviews, I have believed that “significant percentages of variance indicate ungood possibilities”.

I see that this PSU has garnered almost as many Negative Reviews as Positive. And it hasn’t garnered too many at all.

Fortunately, the Negatives mostly say “DOA or dead-soon”, but there’s an occasional mention of “wisp of smoke”. Ugh. That’s never a good comment. Granted, I seldom fire up new PSUs in our haybarn, but ‘sparks’ and ‘wisps of smokes’ are something fireplaces are designed for - not PC cases, not PC workbenches. Much less weeks or months later under dusty desks, near carpeting, etc.

On the other hand, Thermaltake’s posted their own offers of help on a lot of those, so that’s a good indication. At least they care enough to give lip-service… that’s more than some vendors do.

Still… that price… that Gold rating… is this from the Too Good To Be True Department?

I have found that a lot of electronics especially those that have a coil for a resistor are coated with a wax to stop them from rusting before being put into service. Thus when fired up they will smoke some till it burns the wax off . It is a long automotive story of how I found this out.

Hubby mentioned that, too. “And don’t substitute that napalmolive for wax, either.” Oh. Good thinking. I think I need to get him some new bags of Ma Rainey’s Whole Moleskin Cookies… “eat 'em once. Wipe 'em off. Eat 'em again. Your first bag will be your last.”

Well, that’s the marketing campaign, at least. I’m not sure those are better than Loosner’s Castroil Flakes, though. The all-weather breakfast!

(We did order a set of these PSUs. “What have we got to lose?” Gee - wot a great attitude!)

I found some Seasonic Gold 750W PSUs on sale for 99.99 and they were fully Modular like this one, I would rather have the Seasonic and spend 30 bucks more.:slight_smile:

Well, multiply that by 5 units and those pennies add up. But only experience will tell with these units. It’s interesting to note that in many of these reviews, they comment on the similar $70 price so this unit’s “been here before”.

And GOLD is still just a standard for testing performance, not endurance. “Hey! It delivered Gold Performance… just before blowing itself to smithereens! Therefore, it’s a GOLD rating! Sorry about the building… and that side of the block…”

Gee. I’m glad those standards have stopped at Platinum ratings. What would be next - “U-235” and “kilotons”? “Measured in half-life”?

Time to set up that bicycle generator, I think…

Christine, I think there was a deal on a Corsair HX750 a couple of days ago where after rebate it was $79.99 If I’m remembering right, the HX and AX units used to be Seasonics rebadged by Corsair. Those type of under $100 sales happen about once every 2-3 months for Seasonic PSU’s(Almost always the 650-750W). However that was the lowest price I can remember seeing for a HX series Corsair PSU.

I’ve wondered about this relatively fixed pricing standards among computer parts. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 3-4 year period of such price ‘stability’ before these last ones.

For an industry that built itself on “cheaper parts next year”, this stability portends a bad omen and, in fact, that’s exactly what the industry has endured. Or perhaps, created. Their own little Frankenstein pricing scheme. They jerk up one price (HDDs or RAM) here and there, hoping to pilfer enlarged profits from a critical element, only to whine and moan when their monster goes flat.

Well… join back into the push for downward price models, then-! 16Gb DDR3 2400 at $50. See what THAT does. And those 14Tb Drives for $139, too. C’mon, Industry - Black Friday’s a great chance!

I’d stick with Corsair… AFAIK they don’t cut corners on the build quality! Even back when I was in the market for a PSU (2010) Thermaltake had mixed review, while still positive-- I just didn’t like the design specs & review data.

I bought a Thermatake Black widow 850 gold a few years ago because I NEEDED a PSU with a huge 12 volt rail to power my new to me 4870x2 video card. The reviews on it were somewhat good, but a LOT of DOA, or shortly dead ones too. So far mine has been rock solid and for the money I spent after the rebate I figured it was worth the gamble as it does have all the latest safety shutoff things too. It has been very stable and quiet so far, doesn’t run hot, and the 4870 firing up a big game and trying to run no longer shuts my PC off.
SO it kinda depends on you, is it worth a gamble seeing how the price is great, and most reviews are good, but some are just nasty? For me it was and I did have a 750 before that worked great for many years BUT it had 4 12 volt rails and the video card would always overload the one it was on during a game unless I shut off half the features and one core. Each rail could only support 18amps max, new ones does about 70:bow:

Dart, thanks for this reminder about “and sometimes, a few weeks or a couple of months…” isn’t too uncommon for failures.

As someone once euphemistically said, “Save the (ticket)!”

[QUOTE=Dartman;2710252]I bought a Thermatake Black widow 850 gold a few years ago because I NEEDED a PSU with a huge 12 volt rail to power my new to me 4870x2 video card. The reviews on it were somewhat good, but a LOT of DOA, or shortly dead ones too. So far mine has been rock solid and for the money I spent after the rebate I figured it was worth the gamble as it does have all the latest safety shutoff things too. It has been very stable and quiet so far, doesn’t run hot, and the 4870 firing up a big game and trying to run no longer shuts my PC off.
SO it kinda depends on you, is it worth a gamble seeing how the price is great, and most reviews are good, but some are just nasty? For me it was and I did have a 750 before that worked great for many years BUT it had 4 12 volt rails and the video card would always overload the one it was on during a game unless I shut off half the features and one core. Each rail could only support 18amps max, new ones does about 70:bow:[/QUOTE]

These days, if you had it to do over again, it’s probably better to replace the video card than the PSU… 48xx series are power pigs (mores so as X2). I could see if your running everything to the max, yeah 850+ is where it’s at… but I’m not a fan of big power bills. As it is, I try to keep my desktop running around 65watts (@120v)or less-- so whatever that is in 12volts watts. My corsair 750 is plenty for that & room to spare with age. In plenty of the head-to-head benchmarks the TT’s had higher line noise values and for some models modular plugs (ugh… maybe for some builders this is a plus… but I still favor the medusa head approach and tie-up what’s not needed).

I’m heading to the shop this morning and see how the weekend-run of these units held up. THey all fired up, all passed initial measurements. And since there were no firetrucks wailing, I assume none blew up and destroyed the building (which I consider a minimal base-line of proper functioning).

I see that NewEgg has one of their Rosewill 750 Golds on sale for this same $79 with a $20 mail-in rebate, too. I might not press my luck further, though.

I definitely fall into the camp of “not a fan of big power bills”.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2711540]I’m heading to the shop this morning and see how the weekend-run of these units held up. THey all fired up, all passed initial measurements. And since there were no firetrucks wailing, I assume none blew up and destroyed the building (which I consider a minimal base-line of proper functioning).

I see that NewEgg has one of their Rosewill 750 Golds on sale for this same $79 with a $20 mail-in rebate, too. I might not press my luck further, though.

I definitely fall into the camp of “not a fan of big power bills”.[/QUOTE]

These are most probably rebadged from some other company, I wonder what one.

Wed, and all five units have been running for 6 days straight, all at varying loads. They’ve had several shutdowns-hot-restarts and a couple of cold-restarts.

They’ve repeatedly passed the stability and load tests along the way.

This batch is ready to be given a good bill o’ health, and maybe someone will crack open one of them to see whose parts are used.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2711900]Wed, and all five units have been running for 6 days straight, all at varying loads. They’ve had several shutdowns-hot-restarts and a couple of cold-restarts.

They’ve repeatedly passed the stability and load tests along the way.

This batch is ready to be given a good bill o’ health, and maybe someone will crack open one of them to see whose parts are used.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they are Seasonic if you are lucky , they sell a lot of rebadged PSUs, like Corsair uses them.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2711509]These days, if you had it to do over again, it’s probably better to replace the video card than the PSU… 48xx series are power pigs (mores so as X2). I could see if your running everything to the max, yeah 850+ is where it’s at… but I’m not a fan of big power bills. As it is, I try to keep my desktop running around 65watts (@120v)or less-- so whatever that is in 12volts watts. My corsair 750 is plenty for that & room to spare with age. In plenty of the head-to-head benchmarks the TT’s had higher line noise values and for some models modular plugs (ugh… maybe for some builders this is a plus… but I still favor the medusa head approach and tie-up what’s not needed).[/QUOTE]
I agree but intitially set this box up with that card two years ago and it was still a good though very power hungry card then. I have since figured out all the power saving tricks and also use this box as my media center PC so it sits here 24/7 sleeping until my HD HomeRun prime wakes it up to record shows for me on any of it’s three tuners, or I come in here to surf, check mail, and post to forums. Right now it’s drawing about 250 watts, when playing a full on game it can get to about 500, but when sleeping it draws a watt, and these days it mainly is sleeping as I also have a very nice quad core tablet I can do mail and surfing on so some days it only fires up when a show I like comes on then goes back to sleep. I’ll probably eventually setup a dedicated media center box as we now have the room in the new house to have a spot for about everything, but broke so far so it can wait but it is on the agenda. My geek friend builder even said you have a media box right?..I said nope, the 6 core monster I got from you, it’s all I have and can afford right now.
My power bill considering everything in here and the fact that this house is almost twice as big as my old one is usually lower now because this place has new windows and is way better insulated and we have converted to CFL bulbs and keep the heat at 66 during the winter.
Might have to check on the newer lower power video cards though, bet the better ones are just as fast now as this 4870x2 with at least half the power draw.