From MPEG to DVD without "authoring"

I have some MPEG files which I want to view as a DVD exactly as it is.
What is the simplest way to create a DVD from a MPEG file ?

1. Would I need to create an ISO first then burn with maybe IMGBurn ? Or can burn the DVD straight from the MPEG ?

2. Any command line tools that can do this ?

Thanks for your advice.

Hi,

It depends on the format, your source material is. My digital TV card creates .MPG files, that are MPEG2 (nearly DVD format). You need to convert the file into DVD compliant file and directory structures. That means, they have to be demultiplexed and reauthored then. If the source material is not MPEG2, then it has to be converted additionally (this would be the first step them).

1. Would I need to create an ISO first then burn with maybe IMGBurn ? Or can burn the DVD straight from the MPEG ?
    Since there is a “build” option in recent Imgburn releases, it does not matter if you create an iso file or burn the VIDEO_TS folder onto the disc.
  1. Any command line tools that can do this ?
    DVDauthor can be used for the last step (creating the VIDEO_TS folder with DVD compliant files).

Michael

Try DVDFlick…

Thanks for the replies. I’m trying ImgBurn now.

I use the command:

“D:\Program Files\ImgBurn\imgburn” /mode isobuild /buildmode device /src “D:\data\xxxx.mpg” /volumelabel “Test” /Speed 4x /verify yes /start /dest r: /close /closeinfo /erase /eject no /NOIMAGEDETAILS

I end up having a *.MPG on my DVD Disk !

Do I need to do a 2 pass ? First to create an ISO on my HDD and then 2nd pass to burn it ?

Thanks for all the help !

If the source material is not MPEG2, then it has to be converted additionally (this would be the first step them).

How do I convert my MPEG to DVD Compliant MPEG ? What utility should I use ? I downloaded DVDAuthor, MEncoder. I read the doc but I’m still not sure. Can advise me please ? Can point me to the utilities. I’ll try to figure out the command line to use. Thanks very much.

I personally use SUPER ©. http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

I then use NeroVision4 to build the menus.

But here is how to do it without IFO/VOBs <(FAQ#32)>,threadhttp://www.erightsoft.com/faqt.html#Q032

@csc12345678: your thread title says “without authoring”; do you really mean that?

…because that seems to be what you wanted.

If you have changed your mind and want the MPEG file authoring to DVD-Video, please confirm; otherwise it’s going to get a bit confusing.

Please forgive me… I’m very new to this and I think I’m attempting something that’s not difficult if using GUI software. But I think it’s more difficult in my case as I want to use command line (as I want to automate the process).

Yes, I want to create a DVD that is viewable on a DVD Entertainment System (not just a PC). I have recorded a TV program using Hauppuage PVR-150 with GV-PVR (not Wint TV).

I’ve figure out that I need to:

• create a DVD Compliant MPEG, with the VOB information inserted into the MPEG
  • create a VOB
  • create the DVD File Structures
  • create a ISO
  • burn the ISO

I think the missing part for my situation is how to convert a DVD MPEG using command line tools. Can I use FFMPEG, MEncoder, Super ? Which one should I use ? And what command line I should I use ? I’m doing my researching now, reading the info off the internet. But due insufficient knowledge, I have difficulty understanding MEncoder, codecs, etc, etc, etc. But I’m get a better picture now since I first wrote to the forum on this topic.

Any help is greately appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Hi,

Looks like the thing, I am doing (but I prefer GUI apps for this). Please find out if the files created by your recording software are already MPEG2 (this should be stated in the software documentation). If so, then this workflow should apply:

1. Demultiplex (split the file to separate audio and video files), I am using ProjectX for that.
  • create a DVD Compliant MPEG, with the VOB information inserted into the MPEG
  • create a VOB
  • create the DVD File Structures
  1. This is the job of DVD author if fed with demultiplexed audio and video. I am using GUIforDvdauthor.
  • create a ISO
  • burn the ISO
    This is optional since Imgburn build mode can be used to burn the DVD. GUIfordvdauthor can also create .ISO files if wanted. Burn with Imgburn then.

If your recording software creates other file formats (not MPEG2), then you’ll have to convert them to MPEG2 with some converter software. Continue with step 1 above after converting.

Michael

Please find out if the files created by your recording software are already MPEG2 (this should be stated in the software documentation).

Yes. The Hauppauge PVR 150 generate MPEG2 files.

1. Demultiplex (split the file to separate audio and video files), I am using ProjectX for that.

So this was my problem… I didn’t know DVDAuthor takes in separate audio and video input. I thought that I needed 1 MPEG file with the VOB information properly coded inside it. OK, now I need to look for a demultiplex-or. I think the DVDAuthor package has some… I think it’s spuxmux. I go home and check.

This is optional since Imgburn build mode can be used to burn the DVD. GUIfordvdauthor can also create .ISO files if wanted. Burn with Imgburn then.

OK. Let me confirm with you. I can use ImgBurn to take in the audio and video stream and create a ISO and burn it ? I don’t need DVDAuthor ?

Good.

OK. Let me confirm with you. I can use ImgBurn to take in the audio and video stream and create a ISO and burn it ? I don’t need DVDAuthor ?
:disagree:
You need DVDauthor, and you need a demultiplexer to prepare the DVD video structure.
ImgBurn does only burn the specified data (either VIDEO_TS folder or .ISO image) onto the disc.
Again the workflow:

[ol]
[li]Demultiplex (ProjectX or other demuxer software)
[/li]Result: audio file and video file separated.

[li]Authoring the DVD structure (DVDAuthor)
[/li]Result: VIDEO_TS folder with VOB etc. in it.
(OPTIONAL: .ISO image created from the VIDEO_TS folder)

[li]Burn ISO file or VIDEO_TS folder onto DVD disc (ImgBurn)
[/li]Result: Video DVD that should work in your player.[/ol]
I personally would start with GUI applications, just in order to learn more about the workflow. If you know more about this, then you can switch to command line processing.

Michael

Hi
Going back to first post: it seems there is a confusion here as we need to know if we are talking about video editing (you want to see the Mpeg files as they are, so with no changes) or about DVD video authoring (to play them using a home player).
The VOB files are created out of Mpeg2 DVD compatible files, but video authoring software can take other file formats and turn them to a DVD without complications.
Nero has an application that can do that (Nero Vision) and you have commercial packages that do the same with no fuss and at a reasonable cost (Ulead, Pinnacle, etc.).
If you want to spend no money, you can find freeware that can do the same.
And if you want to go out of Microsoft Universe, you cna find O/S and DVD authoring applications for free: as an example - Linux and ManDVD.
Maybe you can have a look at this one, that can produce DVDs out of movie clips and slideshows at zero cost and no need to demux and other complications.
And “authoring” can be just an intimidating word, as it can be an authomatic proccess you don’t notice but it is there - example, when you record a playable DVD from a home DVD recored.

I want to play it on a home player.
I already have some authoring software that comes with my DVD burner and TV Card. But it does not take command line. That’s why I’m going through this exploratory path.