From DVD to Divx

vbimport

Hi, maybe what I have in mind is quite common… what I’d like to do is to let my kids watch their favorite DVDs WITHOUT them ruining the discs :bigsmile:

I’ve read through many threads in this forum so basically I know that I need to rip the DVD contents and put it onto a HDD based player so that NO DISC is required. I used DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip the DVDs no problem, but now I’m puzzled to which of the media format would preserve the original features of the DVDs, like menus, multiple audio tracks and selectable subtitles. I’ve done some search and learnt that those standalone Divx ultra certified players would support this (in .divx format), and I’m prepared to get one of those players and convert the files myself. However, I couldn’t seem to find the right tools or the procedure that would allow me to convert VOB to Divx together with all the audio tracks & subtitles. Would anyone please help me out? :bow:
(so in short, just want an exact copy of DVD on the HDD media player ;))

P.S. are there any other formats beside Divx Ultra that would work like DVDs?

Thanks!!

I personally don’t know of a way to do this. Not and maintain the original menus. It [B]is[/B] possible to reauthor the dvd into Divx format and make new menus and keep the subtitles.

You can make something very similar to the original using TMPGenc Author 3. Here is a guidefor using this program to create a Divx video with menus.

But it is much simpler to make an exact copy of the dvd and leave it in dvd-video format. The only real reason to convert is to save space. The Divx video will be smaller than the mpeg2 based dvd, but the time it will take to make these should be considered. This is a lot of work for little gain.

But would the standalone player like this one be able to play the VOB straight from its HDD? That’d be the simplest solution for me !!! If not then I guess I’ll need to look into the Divx conversion and if keeping menus, subtitles etc. is too much of a hassle (is it?) I’ll just have to burn-in pre-selected ones (audio, subtitle) as my last resort…

[QUOTE=rtpub;2051182]But would the standalone player like this one be able to play the VOB straight from its HDD? That’d be the simplest solution for me !!! If not then I guess I’ll need to look into the Divx conversion and if keeping menus, subtitles etc. is too much of a hassle (is it?) I’ll just have to burn-in pre-selected ones (audio, subtitle) as my last resort…[/QUOTE]

personally I think that there should be no problem playing the DVD-Video files from the players HDD. But the best way to find it out is to try it. You can always look into the DivX thingie when it doesn’t work.

Why so complicated?

There are standalone mediaplayers that accept ISO. :wink:

I haven’t bought the machine yet so cannot test if it will work.

[quote=chef;2051207] Why so complicated?
There are standalone mediaplayers that accept ISO. ;)[/quote]

Because I need another recorder to record TV shows :wink:
Might need to get the additional media player if this doesn’t work out. :bigsmile: