Friend flashed my 112DBK to Buffalo and did not ask!

Hi, I don’t know if it is possible, but I would like my drive returned to normal pioneer 112dbk firmware. Please somebody help me:sad:

I loaned my drive to a friend while I went away, (Big Mistake!) and while I was gone he decided to try and booktype some +r disks to play in his dvd player. So he flashed my drive to Buffalo 112L 8.21. His burns were successful and thought nothing of it.

I arrived home and got my drive back and after a couple of days put in a cd to rip to my ipod the drive won’t recognise any cd’s, burned or retail.

I have used dvdinfo pro to view my drives stats. All of the checkboxes in the “Drive Supported Read Features” section for cd have been cleared. I know there were a lot of other boxes filled in the “Drive General Features” Section which are now not filled in.

Has he done something seriously wrong and can it be fixed?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

[QUOTE=JayT69;1947004]I arrived home and got my drive back and after a couple of days put in a cd to rip to my ipod the drive won’t recognise any cd’s, burned or retail.[/QUOTE]

Hey mate, I think it most unlikely the firmware has done this, can you grab the drive out and tell me the build month from on top of it?

We had a problem between Dec06 and Feb07 where we had some problematic CD mechanisms.

Thanks for speedy reply Brad. My Drive is March 2007. So I should be in the clear?

Is there a way to return my drive to stock as I liked my drive just the way it was.

Many thanks

@ JayT69,

SOME Pioneer DVR-112 Drives had a manufacturing defect problem that the Drive after some amount of CD Read/Write cycles became unable to Read/Write CD Media.

Suggest reviewing the below Pioneer Web Link ->

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/top/cat/article/0,,2076_310069579_484923529,00.html

If you completely follow the above link you will be able to enter your Pioneer DVR-112D serial number and it will tell you if your particular Pioneer DVR-112D is one of the Pioneer DVR-112’s that has Read/Write CD Media problem.

As Forum Member Brad-Pioneer states the problem is not a Firmware problem so attempting to revert back to DVR-112D Firmware isn’t going to correct the problem.

Regards,
bjkg

This is not a firmware problem!!!:disagree: So if you revert back you will still not recognize cd’s!!:disagree: I had a drive manufactured in May, 07 way after the call back & it stopped writing cd’s. I have now sent it in for repair, so you can still have cd read write failure on DVR-112D.

BTW I own 3 of these drives
2 are manufactured May, 07
1 is " " Aug, 07

Hmm March should be clear, but you never know, we DID have faulty CD mechanisms before the big fault, so I am sure we will still have some after, just not as many.

If you can check it in another system and it still won’t read CD’s you just need to RMA it.

Does it make funny noises when you put a data CD in?

And your music CD isn’t possibly a protected one maybe?

[QUOTE=Brad-Pioneer;1947111]Hmm March should be clear, but you never know, we DID have faulty CD mechanisms before the big fault, so I am sure we will still have some after, just not as many.

If you can check it in another system and it still won’t read CD’s you just need to RMA it.

And your music CD isn’t possibly a protected one maybe?[/QUOTE]

What was wierd about mine is it would read, most of the time, but it would not write at all. When I first got it it burned about 5 cd's & then the cd mechanism failed. I also tried it in a different machine.

BTW I mostly burn dvd’s so it is lucky that I even noticed this. I burn maybe 1 cd per month.

[QUOTE=Brad-Pioneer;1947111]Hmm March should be clear, but you never know, we DID have faulty CD mechanisms before the big fault, so I am sure we will still have some after, just not as many.

So what do you do with the drives that were RMA’d for faulty cd mechanisms?

Do you just replace the cd mechanism and ship it back?

[QUOTE=max_clif;1947148]So what do you do with the drives that were RMA’d for faulty cd mechanisms? Do you just replace the cd mechanism and ship it back?[/QUOTE]

Nah no way man, we replace with a brand new drive. For the price it aint worth servicing them. We normally have a certain % failure rate we just write off, and replace the drives with brand new ones.

[QUOTE=bjkg;1947086]@ JayT69,

SOME Pioneer DVR-112 Drives had a manufacturing defect problem that the Drive after some amount of CD Read/Write cycles became unable to Read/Write CD Media.

Suggest reviewing the below Pioneer Web Link ->

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/top/cat/article/0,,2076_310069579_484923529,00.html

If you completely follow the above link you will be able to enter your Pioneer DVR-112D serial number and it will tell you if your particular Pioneer DVR-112D is one of the Pioneer DVR-112’s that has Read/Write CD Media problem.

As Forum Member Brad-Pioneer states the problem is not a Firmware problem so attempting to revert back to DVR-112D Firmware isn’t going to correct the problem.

Regards,
bjkg[/QUOTE]

Hi, thanks for the link, but the thing is I live in the UK and that form is for USA only. I will try and find the link for UK and post it here (if there is one).

Regards,
JayT69

If I need to RMA the drive, would that mean I need to return the firmware to stock?

@ JayT69,

Once again no matter where you live if you completely follow the below Web Link you will be able to enter your Pioneer DVR-112D serial number which will then enter the Pioneer Data Bank and search the Pioneer Data Bank and will definitively reveal if your particular Pioneer DVR-112D was manufactured with one of the known defective CD mechanisms that causes the Pioneer DVR-112 Read/Write CD Media failure problem.

Using the below Web Link you will definitively known if your Pioneer DVR-112D was manufactured with a known defective CD Mechanism and your trouble shooting is completed and you can return your Pioneer DVR-112D for Warranty replacement. If Pioneer DVR-112D was manufactured with a known good CD Mechanism then you will need to peruse more extensive trouble shooting it find out the cause of your CD Media Read/Write failure problem cause.

Your Pioneer DVR-112D has a One Year warranty and if searching the Pioneer DVR-112D Data Bank reveals that your particular Pioneer DVR-112D was manufactured with a known defective CD mechanism Pioneer will replace your Pioneer DVR-112D with a new Drive.

Once again FORGET about Pioneer DVR-112D Firmware. The Pioneer DVR-112 Read/Write CD Media failure problem is a CD mechanism problem and has absolutely nothing to do with Firmware.

Regards,
bjkg

Like everybody stated it’s not the FW and BTW Buffalo FW is excellant :iagree::iagree:

I think he meant that : should the drive still under warranty eve after crossflash ? Isn’t warranty void in such situation ?

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1947553]I think he meant that : should the drive still under warranty eve after crossflash ? Isn’t warranty void in such situation ?[/QUOTE]

With the price of the drives I’d be surprised if it even got checked at Pioneer.

[QUOTE=Brad-Pioneer;1947640]With the price of the drives I’d be surprised if it even got checked at Pioneer.[/QUOTE]That’s kind of what i figured.

Hey Bradpioneer,

I am curious, why doesnt pioneer allow bitsetting for dvd+r automatically, especially when the bios has that feature already hidden?

[QUOTE=max_clif;1947697]I am curious, why doesnt pioneer allow bitsetting for dvd+r automatically, especially when the bios has that feature already hidden?[/QUOTE]

I have said before I don’t see any reason for this feature anyway. Its something Buffalo always requested, but its not been part of our standard firmware for a long time.

As far as I am concerned its no longer a relevant feature for legal uses. There’s excellent choices for -R media, and player compatibility is such that everything made for years and years will play +R regardless.

[QUOTE=Brad-Pioneer;1947730]I have said before I don’t see any reason for this feature anyway. Its something Buffalo always requested, but its not been part of our standard firmware for a long time.

As far as I am concerned its no longer a relevant feature for legal uses. There’s excellent choices for -R media, and player compatibility is such that everything made for years and years will play +R regardless.[/QUOTE]yeah if you need bitsetting/booktyping you need a newer player…

Hi, everyone:D
I would like to thank everyone for their replies, you have all been so helpful, but my problem seems to have resolved itself. Everything is working fine now! How strange!

For those interested here is my latest dvdinfo pro screenshot.

Thanks again to all those offering advice

Regards,

JayT69