French media is going to ban adblock users for a week

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: French media is going to ban adblock users for a week[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/02/adblock-95x75.jpeg[/newsimage]

A group of French websites including those of radio stations, TV stations and newspapers will ban adblock users for a week. Users with such software installed are asked to whitelist the affected site or to turn off their adblocker. If they don’t, access to the website is denied in most cases.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/french-media-going-ban-adblock-users-week-78950/](http://www.myce.com/news/french-media-going-ban-adblock-users-week-78950/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

if i was one of the people who usually visits the websites in question, regardless of whether i used adblock or not, i would vacate the websites and go elsewhere! how dare people be told that they MUST allow a site to throw adverts at customers f*****g cheek!!

No lost love here… I just go to others sites. Do they think we want only one site for news and stories???

I think I’ll simply go with coolcolors on this :clap:

You know what else these websites could do to stop people from using ad blockers? They could try to pressure advertisers into behaving responsibly, for once. Here’s a brief explanation of how to advertise in the web responsibly:

1.) Limit the size of each ad, so as to ensure the users’ bandwidth isn’t completely saturated with ads.

2.) Stop the drive-by downloads.

3.) Stop the Flash Player-based advertisements. Flash has only continued to suck for the last several years.

4.) End the “click here to download” advertisements.

5.) Stop spying on users. At the very least, honor DoNotTrack headers. Of course, considering DoNotTrack has been around for at least 6 years, I don’t think this will happen anytime soon. Of course, a better solution would be to stop tracking all users.

6.) Web designers: keep the quantity of advertisements to a reasonable level. Too many ads make websites slow and borderline-unusable, while saturating the users’ RAM, CPU, and network bandwidth.

7.) Web designers: stop with the pop-ups and pop-unders. People have been complaining about these annoyances for 2 decades, now. This unwillingness to listen can’t possibly lead to anything other than a raise of content blockers.

There are all known reasons why people use ad blockers. Until these issues are dealt with, ad blockers will only continue to grow in popularity. Of course, considering the industry’s refusal to change, I doubt ad blockers will go away anytime soon.

Just using other sites is a simplistic option, but what if those sites then start doing something like this, and then the other sites you go to after that do it?? If this trial is judged as any form of success by those taking part it could open a huge can of worms and many others could look seriously at trying this out in future.Â

If we do not let such a scheme succeed, it will not. it is all up to us.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2770652]No lost love here… I just go to others sites. Do they think we want only one site for news and stories???[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! :iagree:

The only way this would have any impact on anyone is if the site was providing a unique service that people couldn’t manage without.

Otherwise people will just go elsewhere.

They might even find their number of regulars reduces after this.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2770708]Absolutely! :iagree:

The only way this would have any impact on anyone is if the site was providing a unique service that people couldn’t manage without.

Otherwise people will just go elsewhere.

They might even find their number of regulars reduces after this.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
And I am not talking about Faux News but other reliable sources that gives facts and challenges ones on views to find the real sources of the News.

Can we ban the French for a week ? Or longer :)Â

Spme forms of ad blocking still work with L’Express. I have found that the Web Advertisements in Blue Coat’s K-9 parental control softwwre can block ads on L’Express without being detected.

Spme forms of ad blocking still work with L’Express. I have found that the Web Advertisements in Blue Coat’s K-9 parental control softwwre can block ads on L’Express without being detected.