French ISP Free installs an adblocker into their modems

vbimport

I just posted the article French ISP Free installs an adblocker into their modems.

[quote][/quote]

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/french-isp-free-installs-an-adblocker-into-their-modems-65501/](http://www.myce.com/news/french-isp-free-installs-an-adblocker-into-their-modems-65501/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Although i am surprised by it i do not 100% agree with it. Let me explain:

It is my opinion that an ISP is a provider and should not block anything on anything at all. Each and every port or possible form of communication that the ISP can provide should be provided, as well as all information. Torrents, VPN, Vlan, SSL, SSH, Telnet, FTP, SFTP, UseNet, you name it.

The end-user though, should (be able to) decide what to block and what not to block.

VLAN could become a little difficult because that’s Ethernet layer while ISPs generally only provide IP layer access if I’m not mistaken.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2671483]VLAN could become a little difficult because that’s Ethernet layer while ISPs generally only provide IP layer access if I’m not mistaken.[/QUOTE] Usually ISPS have their own way of routing through various VLANS from and to your destination address, because they want to have the connection as cheap as possible. Indeed not something for the average consumer. Not really a problem if everything is accessible as it should be.

Although i am surprised by it i do not 100% agree with it. Let me explain:

It is my opinion that an ISP is a provider and should not block anything on anything at all. Each and every port or possible form of communication that the ISP can provide should be provided, as well as all information. Torrents, VPN, Vlan, SSL, SSH, Telnet, FTP, SFTP, UseNet, you name it.

The end-user though, should (be able to) decide what to block and what not to block

I agree with this. Besides, I think if this “blocking ads by default” can cause problems to those, who block ads by themselves. Don’t know whether have you encountered websites which require user to disable AdBlock in order to use website, but there’s already a similar experience with turning Do Not Track header on in IE10 and (correct me if I’m wrong) Yahoo’s claim to deliberately ignore DNT.

An interesting service, to be sure. I would be somewhat concerned as to what actually gets “blocked”, since ad blockers don’t always know for sure what’s what.

Their goal is to sell ‘access’ to their customers to any website willing to pay them to unblock them. It’s like TV cable companies selling time-blocks to infomercials. “Rather than compete with national companies for mini-commercials, we’ll grant you full 30-minute blocks IF you’ll pay us enough.”

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2671858]Their goal is to sell ‘access’ to their customers to any website willing to pay them to unblock them. It’s like TV cable companies selling time-blocks to infomercials. “Rather than compete with national companies for mini-commercials, we’ll grant you full 30-minute blocks IF you’ll pay us enough.”[/QUOTE]

When it comes down to it there’s money involved in everything really. :rolleyes:

[B]Wombler[/B]