Freezing vs Ripping

A lot of people use the terminolgy “freezes” to descibe problems when playing DVD-Rs on a standalone DVD player. Can someone descibe the symptoms to me?

I would descibe my symptoms as “corruption” or “ripping” rather than “freezing”.

The movie doesn’t actually stop, just blocks or lines show different colours and change plan on the screen. It’s almost like all the data isn’t there…

Other are blaming the media, it just doesn’t satisfy me. I have tried expensive media and get the same result.

If someone could descibe “freezing” to me it would be great.

If I get a chance I will try and get a digital picute of it happening on my TV and post it (but it’s hard to repeat!!!)

Thanks

The term ‘freezes’ is when a playing DVD stops without interjection from the remote control,or anyone pressing a button on the DVD player itself. Corruption more aptly describes what’s
being done,since an uncorrupted DVD wouldn’t do what you’ve described. Ripping is something completely different,this is the process of taking a CD/DVD with information on it,removing whatever copy protection exists,and placing that information(music,video,et al) on your harddrive,for either watching/listening,or later placement on a blank CD/DVD with a burning program (Nero,et al) The color/blocking you describe happens in two mediums, DVD,and Satellte TV both occur when the signal is not being read (DVD) or received(Satellte TV) in the way it was intended. From the problem you’ve described,it seems like your DVD player can barely play DVD recordable discs. Does this happen with every disc that you record,or just one? I’ll check back later for your reply…Good Luck :cool:

>Corruption more aptly describes what’s
>being done,since an uncorrupted DVD wouldn’t do what you’ve >described.

The data ont he DVD itse;f isn’t sorrupt, but the picute being displayed is. It the sort of things that is very hard to descibe in words!

>Ripping is something completely different,this is the process of >taking a CD/DVD with information on it,removing whatever copy >protection exists,and placing that information(music,video,et al) >on your harddrive,for either watching/listening,or later >placement on a blank CD/DVD with a burning program (Nero,et

Sorry, ripping was a bad word to use (I do understand that what ripping is, believe me I have done plenty :wink: ). When I described it as “ripping” it’s liket he image is being torn in a part of the screen. I am trying to get a digital camera shot of it…but it never does it when you want it to!

>al) The color/blocking you describe happens in two mediums, >DVD,and Satellte TV both occur when the signal is not being >read (DVD) or received(Satellte TV) in the way it was intended. >From the problem you’ve described,it seems like your DVD >player can barely play DVD recordable discs. Does this happen >with every disc that you record,or just one? I’ll check back later >for your reply…Good Luck

It doesn’t happen with all DVD’s or DVD-R’s, and it is not consistantly the same part of the DVD that does it. It is random and when it happens most DVD-R’s will do it. if I let it rest a while then lay again it is fine.

I am almost sure it is my DVD player now. I am going to borrow a friends DVD player and try playing all the DVD’s in question. It is the only way to be sure.

However, my DVD player (Toshiba SD-2600) does support DVD-R.

Any other ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Cool, if it doesn’ tplay on your friends’
player,well,you know what that is…Good
Luck!!

Interesting update…

I called Toshiba today and found out that I am not the only one having these problems.

Although the manual states the SD-2600 support DVD-R, several users have contacted Toshiba about the problem I am having.

I also found other users on the Internet that state support of DVD-R’s is marginal at best.

They have sent me to a service centre after being very careful what they told me (i.e. the conversation started like “yeah it’s a know problem” to “your unit may be defective”)

I will post my progress as I think it is a wake up call to people who blame the media/program/whatever without ever for one miniute considering the vendor may be at fault!

Bye