Freezing and skipping

i have tried just about everything out there as far as burning programs. Shrink, clonedvd2, dvddecrypter,etc… i am using ty discs. i have updated all my firmware for my drives. I have tried everything all the programs i have are all upto date.the newest everything! and still i get 1 or 2 freezes or skips on just about every movie i burn that i own. does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go from here? running xp pro with sony and lite on drives :doh:

Are you trying to run other programs while you burn, that is not a good idea. Also, do you have anything running in the background that might be interfering with the burn?

What speed are you burning at?
I suggest try to burn at 4X and see if it improves the skipping an freezing issus.
The Taiyo Yuden disks are excellent quality so that should not be the problem unless you got a batch of imitations somewhere.

@ mgdking,

For clarity confirmation purposes can you state exactly what versions of CloneDVD-AnyDVD you are currently using.

Saying you are using TY Discs does not fully describe the actual DVD Media you are using. To accurately describe your DVD media you need to provide the Manufacture ID and Media Code (Example- RitekG05). You can obtain the Manufacture ID and Media Code by using DVDInfo Pro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) or similar software utility. Request that you provide the actual Manufacture ID and Media Code of the DVD media you are experiencing your current problem with. There have been reports of “Fake” Taiyo Yuden DVD media appearing recently which has proven to be very problematic.

Some things you can try and see if this helps with your current problem.
Slow down your burning speed. Limit all background activity while Burning DVDs including Ant-Virus programs. Defragment your Hard Drive (Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter). Check for Spyware by running Spybot-Search & Destroy (http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html)

Best Regards,
bjkg

Sorry I forgot to ask, does this skipping and freezing happen on both your stand alone player and PC , or just stand alone?

If only on the stand alone why don’t you try playing them on another unit and confirm it’s the media and not the player that may be causing the problem.

i have identified that they genuion tys. there is nothing running in the backround at all disabeled everything i have that would be running. clonedvd anydvd is the newest 2841 and 5271 for both ver. i burn at 2 speed. trust me i have tried everything? my standalone player is denon not a cheap player. i read somewhere that someone thought maybe the simple fact that it is progressive scan would make a diff? i wouldnt think it would but who knows? i dont ever play movies on my pc just standalone. i have run spybot antivirus prog. everything. anything else anyone could add would be awsome thanks.

@ mgdking,

Perchance do your problematic backup copies play without problems on your computer DVD playing devices using a computer software playback program similar to Power DVD?

Also could you provide the manufacture name and model number of your stand-alone desktop player. Your description statement “standalone player is denon not a cheap player” provides insufficient information to even hazard a guess as exactly what Denon player you using.

Also please provide the Manufacture ID and Media Code (Example- RitekG05) of the problematic Taiyo Yuden DVD media that you are experiencing your current problem with as requested in my previous posting in this thread. Is DVD media +Plus or –Minus DVD media? (Provide Manufacture ID and Media Code)

Also please provide the Model Number and Firmware Version of your “sony and lite on drives”. You fail to accurately and fully describe the actual Model Number and Firmware Version of these devices.

You can obtain the Manufacture ID and Media Code of your Taiyo Yuden DVD media by using DVDInfo Pro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) or similar software utility. You will also be able to determine your Sony And Lite-On drive model number and firmware version by using DVDInfo Pro.

If you are serious in getting to the bottom of your problem you will provide this fundamental information. If you chose not to provide this information it is going to be virtually impossible for Forum members to provide any meaningful assistance.

If you review your two previous postings in this thread the only definite information you have provided is the version numbers of Any DVD and Clone DVD you are using and only after prompting by me to provide this information. You have to realize that Forum member attempting to provide assistance are not sitting in front of your computer but are located thousands of miles away and have no idea of what equipment you actually are using.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Regarding the progressive scan feature on some DVD players, I can say this, both my stand alones are progressive scan and I never experience skippimg or freezing on properly burned disks.

To elaborate on bjkg’s above post, you will need to perform some tests to try to pinpoint the problem. Just because it’s a Denon (I know it’s quality) doesn’t make it immune to problems with incompatibility with media. You never said as I suggested if you tried to play it in another stand alone. Also you never tried to play on the PC. You really should have PowerDVD or similar installed for testing purposes, not asking you to watch the movie on your computer. Identify where the skipping occurs on your Denon, then insert into the PC and go to that scene and see if it is duplicated, it it is then it’s media related, if it doesn’t, chance is the Denon may not like TY’s. Then the next step would be try a different media.

Looks like your doing everything right, however, testing the media as described above is essential in troubleshooting.

ok here is the info.
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID TYG02
Format Capacity Blank Disc
Free Blocks 411107328
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Manufacturer Rated Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 08
2x Speed OPC power 0E
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 06
4x Speed OPC power 13
4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 10 0E 07
4x Write Strategy field 2 97 07 0D 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 80 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 06
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 18
4x Write Strategy field 4 17 85 78 75
4x Write Strategy field 5 D6 89 A8 92 01 20
4x Write Strategy field 6 10 00 D0 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1
my first drive is a lite-on
LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-451S
firmware revision GSBC
my other is a sony
SONY DVD RW DRU-530A FIRmware Revision 2.1G
my standalone player is a Denon Model#DVD-755
Iam sorry i was so veg. before I was at work when i posted and didnt have all the info from there. again i have nothing running ever and i have just reformatted my comp. ran all the virus checks and spybot and removed that stupid spyware that ships out with xp.(thanks microsoft) the only thing i have not tried is installing a good dvd player prog. on my pc and try and see if i can pin point it that way? so i guess i will do that as well. again thankyou guys for all your feed back really do apprecaite it. If you have anyother comments my ears are wide open.

According to your above post you still haven’t tried playing the skipping disks in another stand alone, sorry nothing else to suggest.

yes i have iam sorry forgot to reply about that i have tried it on my other standalone same result. not sure on the model # but it is a pioneer.skipped 2s same location. i even tried custome fit with shrink so it would not burn all the way to the end same result. i did make a copy of my sons haunted mansion last night there was no shrinking involved fit the movie only on 1 disc. my son watched the movie and not one skip or freeze. and that was played on my Denon. makes no sense.???

@ mgdking,

Thank you for providing the information on your hardware devices. Your Denon DVD-755 is capable of playing DVD-R media, your DVD recorders are up to date with the latest firmware, and your DVD media looks OK. That being said I can’t see what’s causing your problem.

You state that all background activities are curtailed during Burning activities. Perchance does that include anti-virus programs or any peer-to-peer file-sharing activities? The reason I ask is that another Forum member having DVD Burning problems stated all background activities were curtailed during Burning activities but then later revealed that peer-to-peer file-sharing activities were being conducted while attempting to copy and burn DVD’s.

Perchance could you check one of your problematic back up copy DVD with DVDInfo Pro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) or similar program for Read Errors? Open DVDInfo and on the opening page look on the top menu bar. There is a little magnifying glass icon (Test Your Media For CRC Read Errors). Insert you problematic DVD into your computer DVD device and click on the magnifying glass icon and check for CRC errors. I am curious to know if these problematic back up copy DVD’s actually contain Read Errors.

Have you looked at your IDE configuration? For optimal performance your DVD Burner should be on a different IDE channel than your Hard Drive Disk. (Example: Hard Drive Disk on Primary IDE Channel and DVD Burner on Secondary IDE Channel.)

Best Regards,
bjkg

Looks like a difficult one to solve, since they skip in others players also.
You don’t compress and it works properly.
Were you ever able to burn a disk without problems or is this something you just started and none of them ever worked. Your equipment is good, quaility media, clean system. Let’s hope somebody can think of something else causing this.

hello no I have nothing at all running what so ever. I dont even have or have had any p2p prog. even installed ever.I havent checked my ide channels for primary and sec. but i will good idea. I have bean burning for sometime now and yes sometimes I have no probs. but its usually when there is not much compression to fit on 1 disk. I only do movie only never menues etc…ive tried cleaning everything of course the drives the discs everything. i actually had some cheap princos at one time had some success with those but it was pretty far and in between. meaning they dont last long and some like maybe everyother one i did would skip or freeze.i dont know just doesnt make much sence maybe iam just not met to do this lol. thanks guys for everything trully do appreciate your time and effort.

mdking
Always nice to hear thank you’s, although at this juncture your problem remains.
I would not give up on the software, they are fine products and do work, and will be very happy with their performance when and if you get the issue resolved.

Since you tried all the suggestions I’m beginning to think perhaps it’s burner related.
I don’t expect you to run out and buy a new burner. Maybe you have a friend that would be kind enough to lend you theirs to perform a test. It’s a bit of a hassle pulling out the two units but will enable you to rule out another possible cause without spending money. Won’t need to do anything with drivers, Windows will recognize the different unit as soon as you boot and install the native Windows Ide drivers. Clonedvd and Any DVD should also recognize the replacement drive.
Just check the Ide channels in device manager and make sure the current transfer mode is set at DMA.

I can understand If you choose not to try this but thought I’d mention it nonetheless.
Maybe somebody else may still come up with other suggestions, the very best of luck in whatever you do.

@ mgdking,

This might be a shot in the dark but I have hear of the Lite-On Burners some how losing their firmware data and there have been reports on the Lite-On Forum that folks have re-flashed their firmware and it “revived” the Burner’s ability to produce quality Burns. So it might work if you re-flashed your DVD Burner firmware and see if that provided a “fix” to your problem. By the way if you are unaware both your SONY DVD RW DRU-530A and LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-451S Burners are actually Lit-On Drives.

Best Regards,
bjkg

bjkp,
Thanks for the info regarding Liteon firmware, didn’t know that.
That just alerted me to the fact that mgdking has two burners in his rig, I thought he had one burner and one reader. Now after reviewing his posts I see both are burners.

mgdking
Now the obvious question, have you tried burning with both burners and got the same skipping freezing problem. Or do you use one exclusively to read and the other to burn.
Have you ever tried copying the Video_TS folder straight from the original DVD to a temp folder using Windows Explorer, then proceed with the copying process just as you would with the original, only this time navigate to the temp folder you copied the files to.

Using this method I would try burning with the Liteon, if that fails try the Sony, if both fail, you’re up the creek without a paddle. Just joking of course, see if that works to correct the problem and maybe that may identify the culprit.

I have tried ripping to my hard drive as you can see in an earllier post I have used dvddecrypter. But at the time I was doing that I was using memorex + and - dvdrs. And burning at 4X. So now that I have tys in my hands I will try that. I used to read with 1 drive and burn with the other. I have heard that each time you burn a movie its like watching it 3 times as far as the laser life goes. Wheather thats true or not I dont really no. So the last movie I burned was the haunted mansion for my son. And I read from the drive I useally burn with and burned with the 1 I used to just read with. And all was fine. No skipping no freezing what so ever. But in the same breath there was no compression. The movie did not need to be shrunk. So with that in mind who really knows? So ill do like you said and try putting on hard drive and burning off the files with both drives. Then of course watch them and see what happens. Wheres the time spent LOL!! The things we do for fun ya know. At any rate thanks again for all the replies I trully appreciate everyones time. Oh and as far as both drives being Lite-ons no I did not know that and I have just reflashed my drives about 4 or 5 movies ago. But still maybe worth a reflash anyways what could it hurt?? Thanks again.