Freeware ISO editor?

I have searched here and I searched the internet via Google, I found nothing.

Here is my goal: an ISO file resides on my hard disk; I wish to open the ISO file, add a few files and folders, then save the modified ISO file. I would only burn the ISO when it became large enough to fill a CDR.
All the software I found will only burn ISO files, not edit them. Am I missing the point, somewhere?? (I want to edit and save ISO files, I already have ISO burn capability)

WinIso is not freeware, but not very expensive either (only 30 bucks).

Don’t know if IsoBuster is capable of doing this, but as far as I could see it is free…

Both found using the search…

This sounds like you are about to use an ISO as some kind of directory… do I understand right, that you want to collect enough stuff to burn a disc, but you don’t want all the loose files on your harddrive, but only one big file?

In case that’s the case;) I’d suggest to do it the easy way: create a folder, collect in that folder and burn as soon as it reaches 650/700mb…

Originally posted by Da_Taxman
[B]WinIso is not freeware, but not very expensive either (only 30 bucks).

Don’t know if IsoBuster is capable of doing this, but as far as I could see it is free…

Both found using the search… [/B]

IsoBuster is not capable, nor is CDMage. I’m trying to avoid shareware (see title of my first post).

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]This sounds like you are about to use an ISO as some kind of directory… do I understand right, that you want to collect enough stuff to burn a disc, but you don’t want all the loose files on your harddrive, but only one big file?

In case that’s the case;) I’d suggest to do it the easy way: create a folder, collect in that folder and burn as soon as it reaches 650/700mb… [/B]
Sounds like it might work, but I would later discover that some filenames were too long, or maybe some directory structures I have created (or saved) were too deep for ISO standards. Then, when the day arrives (in a few weeks) for me to burn the CDR, I won’t recall as much about the files, and might screwup the directory structure for a web site I downloaded, or some similar blunder, because ISO9660 can’t use Microsoft filename/directory structures on the CDR.
When I add files incrementally, day by day, to the ISO file, I’ll remember better what the structure was because I just created the structure today, and can edit the names or rearrange the directories right now, before I burn the CDR.
Here is part of why all that ‘up front’ effort is so important: I have been in a hurry to get home with some information… I burned it to a CDR and when the burn was done but before closing the CDR, EZCD wanted me to rename 40 or 50 files right then and there, before I could close the CDR. I was late that day, and only because the structure was non compliant to ISO9660 standards. There are more reasons for creating and editing an ISO9660 structure on the fly, but by having the incremental building capability, any ISO9660 structure errors would be caught right then, as I put the files or directories into the ISO file, not some day in the future, when I burn the CD and do not have a clue as to, nor the time to rearrange the structure. And besides, I could then graft and prune whole directory structures and acrhive them as I see fit.

If all you are doing is adding files periodically, you could create a multisession CD. You would add files from day 1 and burn them leaving the session open. The next day you would add more files and burn them. Each time you burn you would leave the session open until you had filled the CD, at which time you would close the session. Nero does a bang up job of this. I use it all the time when creating archive CDs. :eek:

Only two I know is WinISO and WinRAR, which gives you the option to use ISO in version 3.0. Both aren’t free. Isobuster isnt exactly free either, to get full functionality, like to be able to extract UDF files, you need to buy it.

Try UltraISO V5.1, the trial version can edit ISO files below 300MB, no expire date limit.

Originally posted by xoben
Try UltraISO V5.1, the trial version can edit ISO files below 300MB, no expire date limit.

Will do! Thanks for the post!

OOps: not freeware (see post title on first post)

Actually adding stuff to a ISO image is not that trivial, have a look at the ISO 9660 specs and you will understand why. You mentioned that you’d like to add files periodically and then one day burn it. You mention that you fear potential problems with the ISO/Joliet limitations… So there is one simple solution for this: Instead of an iso file create a ZIP file. There are tons of free archivers for this format and on windows XP it’s even almost as transparent as a normal folder.
Benefits:
a) Backup oversized filenames on a cd without problems
b) don’t care about software to handle the file
c) almost as transparent as a normal folder
d) saves a lot of space due to compression

I think ISO is a nice format but why not use the best format for a certain thing?
(Okay, RAR would be even better but alas, it’s not free)

AVS Disc Creator ((Freeware))
http://club.cdfreaks.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=350129#
Smilie

I truly feel bad for poor DUNBAR as this addition to this forum is coming about 4 years after the fact but I figure to post the information anyhow, in hopes that it may be of some good benefit to another person that comes looking for an Iso Editor

It took me almost 2 days to find this. It makes me dismayed that there seems to be a monopoly on ISO Editors to the degree that know one has yet decided to make an ISO Editor that’s not only freeware to the public but a hair more straight forward than this one.

[AVS Disc Creator - [5mb Foot print when installed] This program does the following, (Disc burner for CDRW and DVD’s, ISO Maker, and YES FREEWARE ISO EDITOR <<(Not yelling, just emphasizing for the search engines because that phrase is how I found this forum)

I had run across this forum, and hope that now that I know maybe with the chance that this little addition a couple of years later may just be picked up by a search engine when someone googles it.

When I found this program I was seriously excited at having found a freeware alternative to having to shell out 20 to 50 in green just because I wanted to edit an ISO image. I’m moderately bummed that this doesn’t support any NRG images or any of the other popular to semi popular image formats for discs like bin and cue for example but for now I’m happy that I got part of the puzzle solved.

Here are a few other semi good to really good progs you fellow cd freaks might find handy. Oh yes, They’re FREEWARE ALSO!!!

Visual ISO - Helps you to make an ISO image from scratch. Very handy and a
bit more straight to the point than AVS Disc is, but hey…
Foot Print, roughly 300kb
Image Burn - A very nicely made program that has MASSIVE potential. This
one reminds me of Golden Hawk’s CDRWIN. This program is not
for NOOBS (no offense meant but this prog, deals with some
very low level details of burning disc images) I recommend this
prog for people who are at least an Intermidiate level of
understanding. Foot Print, roughly 800kb

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
=========================Get This One======================
Daemon Tools - If you are a serious user of ISO images then get Daemon
Tools. If you’re poor like me and cannot afford to be const-
antly buying and or wasting CD’s or DVD’s then you need this
prog… Daemon Tools will let you run an ISO image on your
computer, treating the ISO image like a Cd or DVD Rom Drive.
It supports 32 bit OS’s and there’s a 64 bit OS version also.
Being able to do this can help you in testing your image
before burning it. It’s also --FREEWARE!!!–
Foot Print roughly 1.4mb
=========================Get This One======================
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BELOW - NOT FREEWARE

CDRWIN - Shareware w/ full blown functionality. No time bombing on prog.
Know Limitation - Burning speed reduced to 1x to 4x unless you
purchase the program for 35 green ones. Nice progrmam with a
very tiny foot print. About 1mb. I figured I’d mention
some details about this prog. becuase I mentioned it above.

CDRWIN - The last time I checked this prog. would let you pull in iso’s and
edit them. CDRWIN is more of a burning prog than anything else
though. CDRWIN is more a prog for serious CD and DVD people
as it is very low level in it’s detail and what exactly it can do with
a disc.

In conclusion, I’m not going to go into detail about how to open and edit ISO images, nor how to go about making ISO images within AVS Disc Creator because I want to see if anyone gets this posting on the forum. If someone responds, even if it’s a noob and wants help. Well, just ask…

I trully hope someone finds this posting, and above all I hope it’s helpful.

Best Wishes,
Dunbar :slight_smile:

Zband, welcome to the forum and thanks for providing this information.

Resurrecting old threads is generally frowned upon, but in this case I think we can agree that it’s for a good purpose. :slight_smile:

Your link doesn’t point anywhere interesting - it just opens a new reply window:

Maybe this is the link you wanted to provide:

http://www.avsmedia.com/DiscCreator/index.aspx

I’ve accomplished this on Windows XP by using CDmage http://cdmage.orcon.net.nz/frames.html to open/extract the files from a downloaded iso then using ISO Recorder http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm to compile files into a new iso.
Both of these are free and very straight forward.
if downloading CDmage I found the second download link to be much quicker.

incidentally CDmage is 558Kb and ISO Recorder V2 is 320Kb.
:slight_smile:

I did try AVS Disc Creator but couldn’t understand how to make it work and am glad that I kept on looking.

hi, I just saw this thread via a google search andd i’m going to try the software Zband linked. if that doesn’t work i’ll try the other one. Thanks Zband and spiug! :clap:

Thanks Zband. I’ve been looking for a while for a freeware ISO editor and until now I’ve only come across pay-for editors with trial periods or size limitations.

I found this post from google.

Let us not forget the ‘Build ISO’ abilities of ImgBurn

Why omg… if i never found this thread i would of had to result to ultra iso… WinRar cannot yet add files to iso’s and i didnt want another trial it seems AVC or w/e will do the trick just fine

Well I went on a hunt again looking for a Freeware Iso Editor and so far the only thing that I’ve found that approaches it is AVS Disc creator. As far an Iso Editor it’s rather basic in it’s ability but I do hope that some like me have found it useful.

I wanted to post again because I found something rather odd. I hope the powers that be on this site won’t mind but this is useful.

I found a pay for based program called Comprexx Mark 4. Comprexx Mark 4 is about 30 green or so (if they haven’t bumped the price up lately) Now Comprexx is actually a program for Zipping and Unzipping.
I know, I know, what does this have to do with ISO’s. Well the program is rigged to be able to read iso’s like an archive. Sooooo, when you open up an iso image it actually gets opened up in the Windows Explorer like a zip or rar or archive based file and you can actually edit the ISO image itself.

I wouldn’t normally chance to post something like this but I figure someone might like it since Comprexx Mark 4 is actually an archiving program and not an ISO editing program… It will let you edit ISO’s though. You can then turn around and use any pay for or FREEWARE based burning software to burn the ISO. So you kind of get two items for the price of one.

Dear forum master - Please don’t eat me… I am trying to be helpful…
http://club.cdfreaks.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1578201#
Agree

Best to all,

The&lt;&lt;&lt;Zband))))http://club.cdfreaks.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1578201#

Cool

sorry bout the broken funny reply links they’re actually meant to be smiley’s. Guess I’m doin somethin wrong.

Wonder how I missed this info. Freeware = Win.