Freeware Equivalents to NeroBurningRom/RoxioEasyMediaCreator?

vbimport

I’m trying to slipstream SP3 with my Windows XP Pro Install CD. To do this, all the instructions I’ve read so far insist on using one of these 3 non-freeware programs:
NeroBurningRom 6 or 8 (not 7)
Roxio Easy Media Creator
Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator

I would like to find a freeware alternative.

The problem has been that every freeware CD/DVD burner I’ve looked at so far does NOT let you set some critical advanced parameters needed to burn the slipstream compilation.

It’s hard to believe that “Nero Burning ROM” and “Roxio Easy Media Creator” or “Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator” are the only programs that will permit adjusting these advanced parameters.

Examples of the advanced parameters from instructions for creating bootable slipstream CDs:[quote]Nero Burning ROM
Then, under “Source of boot image data,” choose “Image file” and select C:\Microsoft Corporation.img by clicking the Browse button. Then, select the option titled “Enable expert settings (for advanced users only)” and change “Kind of emulation” to No Emulation, and change “Number of loaded sectors” to 4. The “Load segment of sectors” option should remain at its default value of 07C0.

Roxio Easy Media Creator
In this dialog, select “No Emulation” for Bootable CD Type, 0x7c0 as the Load Segment (this is the default choice), and 4 for the Sector Count. Then, click the Browse button to locate the Microsoft Corporation.img file and use this as the bootable image. Click OK to close the dialog.
[/quote]
(if you’re interested in the full instructions to slipstreaming, you can check-out http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp)

Can anyone recommend a CD/DVD burner that provides adjustment of these advanced parameters?

Please don’t recommend a vanilla freeware burner like CDburnerXP, DeepBurner, InfraRecorder, etc. Although such vanilla burners do a good job of handling simple burns, they do not allow adjusting these advanced parameters.

Thanks.

Imgburn should fit the bill. You will want to use “Build” mode and choose to make a bootable image in your options under the advanced tab.

[QUOTE=transgenic452;2044577]Please don’t recommend a vanilla freeware burner like CDburnerXP, DeepBurner, InfraRecorder, etc. Although such vanilla burners do a good job of handling simple burns, they do not allow adjusting these advanced parameters.[/QUOTE]
You must be joking. CDBurnerXP has these ‘advanced settings’. There is even a guide that tells you how to do it. :iagree: