Freeware DVD to .avi Conversion Program

Can any one tell me what is a good “Reliable” Freeware program that will convert DVD to .avi file format.

All coments and opinions are welcome.

In advance, Thank You to all that replay

[QUOTE=Nosnibor;2156339]Can any one tell me what is a good [B]“Reliable”[/B] Freeware program that will convert DVD to .avi file format.

All coments and opinions are welcome.

In advance, Thank You to all that replay[/QUOTE]

Is there a reason you going from DVD to avi for?

If it’s Xvids you want this little app works well. For ripped DVD files use the VIDEO_TS.IFO.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1018336

The main reason is so that i can store my movies on my new WD 1TB Hard Drive.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2156360]If it’s Xvids you want this little app works well. For ripped DVD files use the VIDEO_TS.IFO.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1018336[/QUOTE]

what are “Xvids”?

There are literally dozens of programs for converting dvd to avi. Look at AutoGK, Megui or Xvid4PSP (misleading name on this one…it can convert to many different formats).

Xvid is a video codec often times used for this type of conversion. Similar to divx.
It can be used inside an avi container file, or mp4, or mkv for that matter.

[QUOTE=Nosnibor;2156362]The main reason is so that i can store my movies on my new WD 1TB Hard Drive.[/QUOTE]

That is true but take in consideration that you be running that HDD constantly to watch movie and that takes a toll on the HDD mechanism itself. And if it goes out your out of 1TB HDD. That the biggest downside. I would say stick with DVD media cause you will and can back those individually and not loose a whole 1TB HDD if everyting goes out. But then again you have to factor the risk or loosing all the data on the 1tb or a single DVD. I myself would just stay with the DVD.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2156500]That is true but take in consideration that you be running that HDD constantly to watch movie and that takes a toll on the HDD mechanism itself. And if it goes out your out of 1TB HDD. That the biggest downside. I would say stick with DVD media cause you will and can back those individually and not loose a whole 1TB HDD if everyting goes out. But then again you have to factor the risk or loosing all the data on the 1tb or a single DVD. I myself would just stay with the DVD.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your input but i think my post that said…[B]The main reason is so that i can store my movies on my new WD 1TB Hard Drive[/B]…was not compleat. I’m wanting to use this “.avi” file formay to store B[/B] my DVD’s to my 1TB HD but still watch them from disk.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2156458]There are literally dozens of programs for converting dvd to avi. Look at AutoGK, Megui or Xvid4PSP (misleading name on this one…it can convert to many different formats).

Xvid is a video codec often times used for this type of conversion. Similar to divx.
It can be used inside an avi container file, or mp4, or mkv for that matter.[/QUOTE]

Thanks i’ll check them out (which one is the best). So does that mean that say 3 different “.avi” files could each have a [B]different[/B] codec?

[QUOTE=Nosnibor;2156773]Thanks i’ll check them out (which one is the best). So does that mean that say 3 different “.avi” files could each have a [B]different[/B] codec?[/QUOTE]
Most times when folks refer to AVI they are talking about Xvids that they have grabbed off the net. AVI is a container. The great majority of the AVI’s floating around are Xvid.