Freebies Galore

vbimport

^ Yes, I use the paid alternative VMWare Workstation as I am certified for VMWare VSPhere (ESX) a.o. and then you get a free license, and since I have a Server 2012R2 Datacenter ed (it basically registers any and all virtual Windows machines for free), I also use Microsoft Hyper-V

However, I use another one as well which I would like to recommend:

[B]VirtualBox[/B] - Cross platform VM host from Oracle.

[I]VirtualBox 5.0 for Windows. Within VirtualBox openSUSE 13.2 is running.[/I]

Supports even DOS, something VMWare does not any more (How hard can it be to support command-based OSes anyway?)
Not only is VirtualBox extremely feature rich, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software (GPL version 2).

Small efficient hypervisor, excellent for home use, testing out various alternative OSes with no strings attached. If Debian is not to taste, delete and test Ubuntu instead. That way, jumping the Windows world in favor of an open source alternative can be a process as slow as you want it. You may start by virtualizing Linux on Windows and end up by virtualizing Windows on Linux, just in case you need it :wink:

It does not stop there though, for the aspiring developer there are several pre-built development VMs ready to boot.

Of course, one of the better ideas for virtual environments from a home user perspective is to relive some past glory by being able to play their childhood games (you never know when nostalgia hits you) :stuck_out_tongue:

If those games are DOS based, I will recommend you to look at another program:

[B]DOSBox[/B]

[I]In for some serious driving in Testdrive from Accolade? Here goes[/I] :wink:

[I]Now the graphics leaves something to be desired by today’s standards, but hey… I’m back in 1987[/I]

This program may seem confusing, but that is so because it is an open virtual DOS environment which is specifically tailored to be able to run just about any DOS game or application imaginable. There are a few frontends available in the download section, but I will advice you to spend some time in the tutorial section to get the needed understanding as to how to do things.
Once done, there’s no stopping you from reliving som golden moments from way back when (don’t be surprised to find out you’re nowhere near as good as you used to be though) :stuck_out_tongue:

Time for a few web browsers.

Mozilla Firefox.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/

Opera.

http://www.opera.com/

Google Chrome.

https://www.google.com/chrome/

There are more.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2773802]Time for a few web browsers.

Mozilla Firefox - https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/
Opera - http://www.opera.com/
Google Chrome - https://www.google.com/chrome/

There are more.[/QUOTE]

Sure there is :slight_smile: The above three covers two of the most used engines Firefox is powered by the Gecko engine and Opera/Chrome is powered by the Blink (Chromium) engine. Then you got the third in Internet Explorer (Trident) of course.
Outside the big hitters in the browser space (Chrome, IE, Firefox and Opera), there is a surprising number of smaller, independent offerings that cater to more specific tastes.
For Gecko you got among others Ice Dragon, Waterfox and Cyberfox which are popular. Waterfox even shares its data with FireFox if you have it installed. Then you got Dragon and Iron which both use the same engine as Chrome.

Most of us also work in web interfaces locally from time to time, like your firewall or the printer’s web-interface. Have you come across situations where your favorite web-browser fail to make a connection to any of the former devices?
I do so quite frequently as I connect to a lot of devices. To take care of that, I have a portable ‘tri-engine’ browser on my USB stick:

Avant Browser - USB Disk version.

As you can see, I have the option to swap which engine I want to use to connect or render the page.
I have so far only used the USB editon and have never tested the installer version, but I find it very interesting and feature rich as a portable browser :flower:

Most of us also work in web interfaces locally from time to time, like your firewall or the printer’s web-interface. Have you come across situations where your favorite web-browser fail to make a connection to any of the former devices?
I do so quite frequently as I connect to a lot of devices. To take care of that, I have a portable ‘tri-engine’ browser on my USB stick:

Very interesting, thanks.

Take control of your boot loader. EasyBCD supercharges your

Windows PC, allowing you to dual-boot to your heart’s content.

Dual-boot with anything you could want.

Windows 10 and UEFI ready.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

So the question now is Teamviewer, uVNC or something else to control my second PC?
No monitor is hooked in it, no keyboard and mouse, so remote access is something that is a must, I also would like it to be a little secure, assuming that this is possible to a PC that will be connected to the internet.

Any suggestions?

[QUOTE=beef barley;2773694]
I started using this from this thread, mainly for replay gain right now, for which it rocks. Thank you vroom. I don’t have any quotes Xercus, but after researching your post, Secunia PSI is no longer part of my toolkit, thank you.[/QUOTE]

Great to see that you find a use for it, its a nice small little program, and if I remember correctly during the install you can select not to be installed, but to be place in a folder just as a portable application, a feature that has saved me from having to re install it on various systems.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2773878]http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/[/QUOTE]

^ A wee bit too little information on this one beef :flower:

First of all, this is a very advanced program, and I suggest you make a backup before commencing unless you know exactly what you are doing. Another recommendation is to have a windows installation CD available to fix startup problems if necessary.

Next up is to head over to Microsoft and read about the BCD boot environment.

When you start it, you are initially placed on the first of the two screenshots below.

What it says is that this computer waits for 60 seconds for the user to press [F8] and bring up the startup configuration menu at boot. The second screen is where you set the timeout for how long it should wait and, if more operating system, which should be default.
Not sure what the [F6] menu looks like? For Windows 10 it looks like this:

as you can see, you can choose several ways to start your computer. I will not go into detail on each entry here, but if you search the net, you are sure to find info :slight_smile:

Then we have where you can add new entries for other operating systems and even tweak the indivudal entries.

I told you, this is a very advanced program, and without knowledge of BCD, you are bound to fly blindfolded.

Luckily, you got a couple of rescue screens as well.

I would suggest you do back up your configuration :iagree:

This is a graphical user interface and an alternative to the [B]bcdedit.exe[/B] command, it still requires the same knowledge of the BCD boot environment and so please do not try this unless you feel confident in doing so :flower:

[QUOTE=vroom;2773882]So the question now is Teamviewer, uVNC or something else to control my second PC?
No monitor is hooked in it, no keyboard and mouse, so remote access is something that is a must, I also would like it to be a little secure, assuming that this is possible to a PC that will be connected to the internet.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I am not sure I get the full picture: local or internet remoting.

For local, I would probably go for VNC and firewall rules. The traffic itself is not crypted, but at least within the private domain or workgroup that is of lesser concern…

For remote via the internet, I can only speak of TeamViewer as I have never used other services apart from one encounter using LogMeIn. Teamviewer does work and so I never seen the need to check them out.

If you only connect to a few computers, it is free. However, one holiday I had to use the free version, and within a couple of days, it said ‘Commercial use suspected’ - Then a day later, ‘Commercial use detected’ and I was allowed sessions of a five minutes or so. This was v7 or v8 and so I do not know if that limitation exists anymore, but thought I should mention it just in case.

Hi Xercus, most of the time I will be connecting through local network, but there will be a few times that I will also need to have access from outside my network to add a few things on my download list :bigsmile:

So first of all I would like to have only one service running and not sure that I can do that by running only vnc.

I remember that in order to access your home server/PC from outside your local network using vnc you need a domain name, and if I am correct this will also need something like a free-DNS service, like no-ip if my memory serves me well.
So the way I see things now (yes I am thinking about all this now :() will add more work, more firewall rules, in general more work.

So for the simple use that I plan on doing with that PC teamviewer appears to be a the best solution. So will the free version of teamviewer be able to hold some log files with all the login activity?

I know that I am probably over thinking it, but i cant help it.

Logging is not restricted in the free edition to my knowledge and by default it will log all connects.

VNC ‘can’ be done by ip-connect from the net and port-forwarding in the firewall, but if that is a dynamic IP (usually is), it will change over time and so DynDNS may be of help.
I do not recommend VNC unless VPN’ed though as it is insecure. It is a lightweight efficient way inside the LAN though.

Now, for TeamViewer there is no need to overthink it, everything is set up for you :flower:

[ul]
[li] The machine to be remote controlled should have ‘TeamViewer Host’ installed. and if you open up for local connections in the options, you can do local IP connect as well instead of having to go out the door to the TeamViewer server and back again. (Make a note on the 9-number (3x3) address)[/li][li] The Laptop (I guess) should have TeamViewer Full installed. Enter the connection number and password and there you are.[/li][/ul]

Teamviewer it is. Thank for the extra info Xercus.

[QUOTE=vroom;2773904]Teamviewer it is. Thank for the extra info Xercus.[/QUOTE]

My pleasure vroom :flower:

It is a great Idea as well and so I’ll do a Freebies Galore tutorial on the subject as this is a field getting more and more mainstream. That is unless someone like to beat me to it (please do :iagree:)
I am remote here at the keyboard using VNC (not sharing even clipboard), and am remote on the keyboard using TeamViewer on another connection and by the way, are also indeed using RDP on a third at the moment.

-Xercus, remoting the world :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2773855] Avant Browser - USB Disk version.[/QUOTE] Looks interesting so I’m checking it out. :slight_smile:

Well then, let me take you to another spot on the net [B]SecurityXploded.com[/B]
SecurityXploded is an Infosec Research & Development organization offering FREE Security Softwares, latest Research Articles and FREE Training on Reverse Engineering & Malware Analysis.
So far offering more than 200 downloads within the field, it ‘almost’ makes me recommending it carte blanch, but not entirely… What you download from the site is an archive containing a password protected archive and a readme with the password. Inside the password-protected archive however, you do not find the installer as you may think… You find the installer downloader which downloads the installer ‘*101.exe’ installer from the site (you can copy the *101.exe from your %temp% directory[just hitWinkey+R and type %temp% and hit Enter] once the installer has started).
This process seems overly complicated and means you will have to do the installation on a computer connected to the net and then move the installation folder to your USB stick if the computer you would like to work on is offline.
Whatever, I find their tools very good and so why don’t you surf over to the site and check if they got something in store for you as well :flower:

I will only present a few tools to give you an Idea…

[B]Encrypted File Scanner[/B] - [B]Quickly scan and discover all the secret Encrypted files on Windows system.[/B]

Encrypting File System (EFS) is the component of NTFS file system that enables transparent encryption and decryption of files on Windows. Personally I absolutely hate file encryption on a general level and as the screenshot shows, none was found on my computer :wink:

[B]WiFi Hotspot Scanner[/B] - [B]Scan and discover Wireless Hotspot devices around you.[/B]

You can save the discovered Wi-Fi Hotspot list to a HTML/XML/TEXT/CSV file after completing the scan. Fully portable and does not require .NET, JAVA or any additional components.
WiFi Hotspot Scanner works on both 32-bit & 64-bit platforms starting from Windows XP SP2 to latest operating systems including new Windows 10 version.

[B]WiFi Network Monitor[/B] - [B]Remotely scan and discover all the systems connected to your Wireless network[/B]

A tool which helps you to keep a watch on your Wi-Fi network and safe guard it from Hackers as well as other unauthorised users. powered by an ‘ARP based Multi-threading’ technique it enables you to scan the entire network in just few seconds.

[B]VirusTotal Scanner[/B] - [B]Desktop tool to quickly perform Anti-virus scan using VirusTotal.com[/B]

VirusTotal.com is a free online scan service that analyzes suspicious files using 40+ Anti-virus applications and so is in reality the only second opinion scanner you will ever need.
‘VirusTotal Scanner’ is the desktop tool which helps you to quickly scan your file using VirusTotal without actually uploading the file. It performs direct Hash based scan on VirusTotal thus reducing the time taken to upload the file.

The site also has a Spy-Keylogger you can install on your machine (saves any keyboard input to a log-file), the difference is of course that you are in charge of this key-logger and not some hacker out there :slight_smile:

^ Ouch! :flower: all tools phone home once on startup, assumingly to check for update or to report a live installation. Forgot to mention…

Isn’t it typical, then we switch page :bigsmile:

I would like to please your opinion for the following software

Portable Update
http://www.portableupdate.com/default.aspx

Vs

Windows Update MiniTool
http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=48142#2

Which is safer and more functional :confused:

[QUOTE=andrea1998;2774035]I would like to please your opinion for the following software

Portable Update
http://www.portableupdate.com/default.aspx

Vs

Windows Update MiniTool
http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=48142#2

Which is safer and more functional :confused:[/QUOTE]
It would depend on… They do the same job, and leave the update service running after quitting the application. In other words, none of them cleans up the changes made to be be able to run, leaving you to it.

[B]Windows Update MiniTool
[/B]

It is less ‘sluggish’ than Portable Update, but insist on saving the updates to ‘C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download’ which is not particularly Portable. I was unable to find a setting to change the default, but for one computer it would be OK.

[FONT=Verdana]For the rest out there: Do remember that you need two downloads
Program x86/x64: https://yadi.sk/d/95eiVNgmj25M4
English language file: https://yadi.sk/d/S8VdlJ5Kj2wX6
The program defaults to Russian and so I got a good laugh when first opening it (I do not understand Russian).
Scroll down on the page to find more language files for German, French Italian and more :iagree:

[B]Portable Update[/B]

It is as I say behaving more ‘sluggish’ and even nags you when exiting, but Portable in design, it makes you able to update many computers without re-downloading the update as long as you keep it on a USB drive.

In other words, it is a question of needs and if only one computer, I would be tempted to use the Russian alternative. :flower:

[/FONT]

until now I used Portable Update.
I don’t need a portable software and maybe Windows MiniTool is comfortable using it, and provides a better description of updates.
I didn’t realize that I must do x 86 and x 64 separated updates.

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=andrea1998;2774041]until now I used Portable Update.
I don’t need a portable software and maybe Windows MiniTool is comfortable using it, and provides a better description of updates.
I didn’t realize that I must do x 86 and x 64 separated updates.

Thanks for the advice :)[/QUOTE]

The one download includes both x86 and x64, it is your OS that will decide which you should use. If uncertain, always try to start x64 first as that will give you an error on a x86 Windows install which will not be the case the other way around as x86 programs runs fine on a x64 Windows install. :flower:

EDIT: That is not to say that you always should run the x64 version. Like for API Monitor mentioned before, you will have to run the x86 version to monitor x86 programs on a x64 computer and the x64 version to monitor x64 programs, but in this case, the above holds true :iagree: