Freebies Galore

vbimport

I receive mail from Tech Support Forum and just received this as part of that mail. The only reason I’m posting it here is that it is convenient and I don’t need to start a new thread.

To start off this month, we have an exciting offer from our friends at Altaro. Click on the first link below to download the latest version of Altaro VM Backup for Hyper-V & VMware for FREE!

http://go.altaro.com/vm-backup/?LP=techsupport-eml-premium&utm_source=techsupportforum&utm_medium=email&utm_content=300x250&utm_campaign=avm-free

No software this time as the reply got quite large…

[QUOTE=beef barley;2772694]Now I understood that, you do not go all the way back, like I thought. I do not know if there is an answer to this question, but here goes. Is there a place in the code where these people like to place there code?[/QUOTE]
It will depend on the size of the code, something simple can be hidden in free space within the file and so not even increase file size. If it is bigger, it may hook itself on as an overlay… Whatever, you grab the entry point to make sure the malicious program gets called. some lame attempts bakes both programs into a cab-archive which is what you start and so starts both programs within. Lots of possibilities, only scepticism can stop :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=beef barley;2772694]Also thank you for the above mentioned program.
The jury is still out on whether the following program works properly in Windows 10 as far as I’m concerned. I have had thoughts about kicking it into touch a few times, but for some reason I have not so far.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/secunia_personal_software_inspector_(psi).html[/QUOTE]
Nah, I think I’ll skip. Here’s why:
Installs a PSI driver “C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\psi_mf_amd64.sys” which for the most is OK… but then:

So unless this program is firmly connected to the net, you do not get to use it. I thought I read something about you needed a registered ID to use the web-support, not any about requiring the download of an ID. Add to it a systemtray-application that started regardless if I had unchecked “Launch the program…”, and the fact that even exiting the system tray application does not stop the program and the test stopped there :flower:

[QUOTE=beef barley;2772700]Did I miss the original name and do you know it?[/QUOTE]
You missed nothing, I simply do not know :slight_smile: - I mention that there is a forum thread which says that the program was renamed to ‘Smart Duplicate Finder’ for a short while while hosted on 12oclocker.com. Could it be that it was renamed after the other ‘stole’ the name and then changed the name back? My website-find seem to vote in that direction. Then again, could mean absolutely nothing.

Its strength is in handling crazy numbers of files and so it deletes the oldest (or was it newest?) duplicates by date (only ever tested the oldest version on the RAID) and is not very flexible.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2772700]I would be really interested on your thoughts on this one?

I know this does not mean better, but the only reason I bring it up is the fact that it is current and looks like they still update it.[/QUOTE]
I find nothing wrong with it. Phones home on startup, probably to check for updates.
Works as it should in my three tests done now, more flexible than 'Simple duplicate finder (which does not say much :bigsmile:).
Clean install too, no exessive registry writes, does not even need the installer:

You may want to go for ‘Custom Install (Advanced)’ to avoid installing ‘BoostSpeed’ or to avoid getting yet another icon on the desktop.
I can not stand the bullshit of routing me to their homepage after install :confused: - I am perfectly able to find the help menu, thank you!
Just before that browser opens ‘gasender.exe’ (Google Analytics Sender) contacts a remote server at port 80 (84.208.42.59). The communication is signed by ‘Auslogics Labs Pty Ltd’.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2772700]I did not want to post this out of context, so I found this at the end of this.

I found the number interesting and regarding the name question I found this interesting.[/QUOTE]
[B]DupeGuru![/B] [B]Now that is what I call non-bragging software[/B]

Hehe, years ago, I surfed by his site and read a rather good piece of text about shareware and donationware. I thought why not support this guy, and so bought all his programs :iagree:
Dupeguru has always been slow, but very accurate… And it fails on my RAID. I have used it on my picture collection and other isolated stuff frequently as it is not only accurate, but fleksible too.

[B]Now about Windows 10, he writes on November 1st, 2015[/B]:
"[I]The last time I used Windows “for real” was more than 10 years ago, in 2005. Since then, the only times I’ve ever used Windows was for building executables or for testing purposes. With time, it grew more and more foreign to me and I came to hate it.
I hate Windows with passion now. It seems to get everything backwards. I came to dread having to launch my Windows VM.
So, why bother with Windows at all? Because many dupeGuru and moneyGuru users are also Windows users and I don’t want to abandon them.
But now, we’re in a situation where Windows 10 was released and I haven’t tried it yet. I see reports of dupeGuru not working well on it and I really, really don’t want to start debugging dupeGuru on Windows 10.[/I]

There is no news update after this message and so the situation seem to be the same. I have not looked into it, but maybe it can be mended by adding a Manifest to get it to run as administrator and/or by saying don’t trigger the compatibility assistant?

I have to admit it, whenever I find something that is still maintained in this field, I get excited as it is something to play with in a creative process. Most anything is possible and you can mix and match as you like :flower:
I have presented Pablo draw earlier, so why not something similar that may be just a tad more easy to use?

[B]ASCII Art Maker[/B] - [B]A program for creating ASCII graphics from images and text[/B].

• create ascii graphics from photos, images
  • save as HTML, TXT, RTF, BMP, JPG, GIF, PNG
  • ascii editor (draw and save your ascii images)
  • change of brightness/contrast/saturation
  • rotation (flip hor, flip ver, 90, 180, 270)
  • change of symbols set
  • custom symbols, sentence
  • change of image size
  • change of font
  • print option
  • set desktop wallpaper

Nothing more to say really :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: As per usual, there are more downloads available :iagree:

Consider me enlightened, appreciated Xercus. You know it’s funny, I never looked into it, but I always wondered how people did the above.

^ At least how to work with the resource section should be pretty straight forward after following the three tutorials. As mentioned earlier, the resource section is also a possibility for hiding malware flexible as it is with virtually no limitations as to what you can put in there without breaking the rest. I covered that in the second tutorial where we indeed exported one executable file and unpacked it, then imported it back and saved the host-file.
Fwiw, about each and every programmer out there is better than me in their respective programming language. As I said in another thread, I came from reversing/cracking and understanding the PE/COFF file structure/be able to reverse or otherwise work directly with the binary format is a benefit in the field of IT security and to get programs working.

I have also thought about other tutorials going a little bit further, but so far I am at loss for keeping it on a basic trivial level and so search the net for tools that can remove some technically advanced stuff from it.

Well then, how about something odd, DinnerWiz, as the website states:

Figuring out what to eat to dinner each night is not an easy thing to do 365 days a year. That’s why I created Dinner Wizard. This free program will assist you by suggesting a weekly menu based on your preferences. It’s very easy to use and the result is a nice looking menu that you can use for inspiration (or follow strictly if you want to).

How’s that for anti-technical pick :bigsmile:

The help page that pops up upon first startup (or when clicking ‘Help’ thereafter), continues:

First you need to enter all dinner suggestions you can think of.
Tip: You will probably not be able to remember everything you normally eat, so make it a habit of writing down new dishes whenever you come to think of one.

After that you will get your suggested menu for the week by simply clicking the Menu heading like I have done in the screenshot above.

I found it a good idea to choose this oddity rather than presenting more typical tools on the RLVision site, but do check the other freewares out as well. :flower:

One part of the RLVison site which can trigger the curious to go on a hunt is probably their old shareware ArtGem (v1.3) which is no longer available for download. To save you the search, it can still be downloaded directly from BMTMicro. I find it fun to work with and it still works in Windows 10. Be aware though that this is a shareware, not freeware and not available for sale since 2003. I am mentioning it since the site still has the tutorial available :iagree:

My one stint at programming was on that 1 year Autocad in a computer class. It was a game scenario, If this is done, then it does this, if it does that then this happens. I don’t think I explained that right, it was a long time ago. Anyway I got my mark back, 50% because I missed one little word at the end, did not pay attention long enough. I was ticked at the time, but the instructor was right, everything that I had written, although correct, would never have completed, because of that one little word.

Freebie time:

SpeedFan is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info and show hard disk temperatures. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too. SpeedFan can even change the FSB on some hardware (but this should be considered a bonus feature). SpeedFan can access digital temperature sensors and can change fan speeds accordingly, thus reducing noise. SpeedFan works fine with Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, Windows 7, 2008, Windows 8, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012. It works with Windows 64 bit too.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

^ :iagree: 3000 lines of code and one mistake, we have all been there, in my case just not in an exam, though I have made that mistake in an infrastructure certification I did a year or so ago :bigsmile:

Now, from time to time you may have trouble with an app using way too much time starting up. To be able to report the challenge back to support unbiased, the following app may be a good starting point.

[B]PassMark AppTimer[/B]

The usage should be pretty straight forward, you can as you see from the screenshot above, even execute the application several times, but due to the more recent use of keeping the program in the cache until the memory is reclaimed by the OS, it may not be particularly interesting to run it more than once.
It also means that you should use this application right after a restart when Windows is fully loaded. Then you have this start the Application first (before starting it yourself) to get the most accurate result. The program will close the application on its own and you have the option of selecting which close method to use.

Limited to just that function, you will not use it often of course, but I have used it to compare files I have optimized to the original file to see how much was gained by the optimizing process :iagree:

[B]CPU-Z[/B] is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system :

[ul]
[li]Processor name and number, codename, process, package, cache levels.[/li]> [li]Mainboard and chipset.[/li]> [li]Memory type, size, timings, and module specifications (SPD).[/li]> [li]Real time measurement of each core’s internal frequency, memory frequency.[/li]> [/ul]

As a compliment to CPU-Z, the following may be of interest…

[B]SIV[/B] - [B]System Information Viewer[/B].

As far as system information goes, this is up there among the best. I only post one image as you can find many more on the page. clicking on the values on screen brings up another screen, or you can use the drop-down menus at the bottom.
Check it out, it’s free :flower:

This is by the same folks as CPU-Z. People can’t complain about a choice of programs in this thread.

HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors :

CPU temperature, voltage, power consumption and utilization.
Mainboard voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
GPU voltage, temperature, utilization.
HDD temperature.

It sure gives you a lot to look at.

How about more advanced tools? I am not going to run any tutorial for it, though we may revisit it in a future ‘Freebies Galore’ project if need be :slight_smile:

[B]API Monitor[/B]

Click to view full size screenshot

API Monitor is a free software that lets you monitor and control API calls made by applications and services. Its a powerful tool for seeing how applications and services work or for tracking down problems that you have in your own applications.
As it says on the page, both 32- and 64-bit versions are available and you will need them both if your OS is 64-bit. This is because the the 64-bit version monitors 64-bit processes while the 32-bit version handles 32-bit processes respectively.
In the screenshot above, I have opened an assembly language binary clock which I did rework a while ago and checked for errors using the APIMonitor

What can you do using the monitor?
Most anything really, apart from debugging and checking the application for erroneous calls, the tutorial section mentions, cracking software, Modify the output of an application, Sniffing internet traffic…
If you want to check it out, start by going through the tutorial at the bottom, monitoring Notepad to get an idea of how to work in the application :iagree:

Which is the best program to check and compare hash?

Very nice ApiMonitor, I have to learn.

[QUOTE=andrea1998;2772994]Which is the best program to check and compare hash?
[/QUOTE] MD5Summer creates and verifies MD5 and SHA1 hashes. It hasn’t been updated since 2006 but it still works on Windows 10 and does what I need.

Great Dragemester :iagree:

It will pretty much depend on what hash, how much you will use it and so on. Now, back in the day, CRC was often used, but today MD5 is more common. Because of it, more amd more utilities has stopped supporting CRC.

A simple universal app for Windows 10 is Hash Checker Supporting MD5, SHA1, SHA256, SHA384, and SHA512
If you need to create check-lists regularly you could try HashCheck Shell Extension supporting CRC, MD4, MD5, SHA-1

Personally, I do not use such utilites anymore (Not since QuickSFV on XP, but that has issues in Windows 7-10) as I use Checsum File Calculator and set the checksum within the file itself and include the checksum in a textfile (bottom of the readme.txt if it exist) in the directory and so Dragemester’s choice may be a good bet if it has the function you are after.

A tool you may want to check out is [B]MultiPar[/B] which may not be what you are after, but will also let you repair the file(s) should they become corrupt:
[B]Homepage[/B] / [B]EU Mirror[/B] (latter link removed; read following posts for explanation -Albert)

If using the installer, it will integrate into Explorer’s context menu:

and this opens the application with the file(s) and/or folder(s):

In the above test screenshot, I have dragged the redundancy slider to almost 10% which means that the file may miss a few bytes and still be recoverable :flower:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2772998]A tool you may want to check out is [B]MultiPar[/B] which may not be what you are after, but will also let you repair the file(s) should they become corrupt:
[B]Homepage[/B] / [B]EU Mirror[/B]
[/QUOTE] I use MultiPar myself and I was considering mentioning it in this thread, thanks. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2772998]A tool you may want to check out is [B]MultiPar[/B] which may not be what you are after, but will also let you repair the file(s) should they become corrupt:
[B]Homepage[/B] / [B]EU Mirror[/B]
[/QUOTE] According to the author of MultiPar, Yutaka Sawada, the “EU Mirror” is not sanctioned and may be intended for spamming or other unknown purposes, so beware. The latest files I downloaded had not been tampered with, but the original author advises caution:

https://www.livebusinesschat.com/smf/index.php?topic=5851.msg43065#msg43065

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2773005]According to the author of MultiPar, Yutaka Sawada, the “EU Mirror” is not sanctioned and may be intended for spamming or other unknown purposes, so beware. The latest files I downloaded had not been tampered with, but the original author advises caution:

https://www.livebusinesschat.com/smf/index.php?topic=5851.msg43065#msg43065[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the information Dragemester. I was unaware of this being the case. Not that it matters as I always have downloaded from the vector.co.jp site, but for the rest, [B]don’t use the EU mirror[/B].

The following two screenshots are available on the homepage, but let me just link them in here to help you along if you want to download. Once you click on a download:

Then you get here:

The application is English language :iagree:
To download the latest beta, will route you to the forum, and the 7zip and zip archives saves by default to ‘index.php’ instead of their correct names and so must be renamed manually. The installer downloads fine though :slight_smile:

[B]thank you[/B]

We’re rockin’ now.

I noticed with the manage attachments, it doesn’t handle RAR files. So what would be needed is something like a RARtoZip Converter.

RAR to ZIP Converter is a free compression file converter, can convert RAR compression files into ZIP compression files, and supports multi-volume RAR archive. This software is a totally Freeware, free to use.

In addition, not only RAR format, this software can also convert other common compression format to ZIP format, supported compression formats include TAR, GZ, BIZ2, GZIP, CAB and more.
http://www.rartozipconverter.com/

It works on Windows 10.

Let’s keep them coming.