Freebies Galore

vbimport

I didn’t search through the thread, so I don’t know if its been mentioned before, but I’m trying a different audio player, called Winyl. It can be set up to use WASAPI or ASIO as well as DirectSound.

Just starting to explore it, but its working well with my external DAC and amp, so I’m happy with it so far.

Edit: Far less happy with it now. It refuses to lose focus without being restarted. Changing songs is a pain at times. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

I’m not sure if I added this before, but it’s been a while since anything was added to this thread anyway.

SpeedFan is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info and show hard disk temperatures. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

It’s been a while, and it will be some more until I’m back for good. Still, in the freebies thread I’d like to add an entry for a program I found.

Some months back, there was a message from DVDRangerForum which included a message encoded in binary. Now these are easy to decode for us who know the binary number format as well as the ASCII table for PC. For the rest of you it would not be as easy though, but I found an aid for you :slight_smile:

[B]Text Converter[/B]

[ATTACH]335623[/ATTACH]

As is evident, I have a small binary message which I converted to text for you :slight_smile:
Text Converter is a small program for encoding and converting text to various formats. This is useful for sending coded messages to your friends, solving puzzles involving such messages, and more practical things such as decoding a Base64-encoded string found in a URL.

The program supports a few different algorithms of which all are both to and from:
[ATTACH]335624[/ATTACH]

Whatever, the next time you encounter a binary message, even you can decode it. Just make sure you put in a space every 8 characters as the program expects it :cool:

The site contains a few more freewares including a graphics program :flower:

Xercus, The link did not work

[QUOTE=thor21344;2788615]Xercus, The link did not work[/QUOTE]

Hmm, turns out to be an invalid certificate, I’ve updated the link above, but for the record:
http://nookkin.com/software/text-converter.ndoc

Would work :flower:

It will be a while…

LOL I got the message:
Let others join the conversation
This topic is clearly important to you – you’ve posted more than 43% of the replies here.
Are you sure you’re providing adequate time for other people to share their points of view, too?”

Obviously I’ve hijacked the thread along with the thread starter, Beef Barley. We’re both of the better kind sharing whatever we find with the world, that’s my take on that for this thread. On another note, I am very technically curious as a person and happen to know a lot about software among other things :wink:

Since I started the path with my last message, let’s dwell a little in encoding messages, so I’ve covered the binary aspect which is cool but easily spotted by anyone even vaguely knowledgeable of binary. Are there other options? Of course there are, a multitude of options all the way to the more technically challenging like stenography. Another tool I’ve presented in this thread is EdXor which will let you apply even XOR to your message, ROT-13 and more. In common for these methods are the fact that they require no password for decryption, but that does not necessarily means that it is a bad encryption if all you want to do is write privately with a friend, even writing in Morse code would keep most of the world off your back these days (I happen to know it though) :wink:

Now to decrypt some simple algorithms like XOR, there’s even help found on the net.
Go here: http://asl-soft.hostei.com/index.htm and scroll down to ‘XOR Data Uncrypter’ which is a multi-decrypter supporting XOR, ROL, SHL, ADD, NOT, NEG SHR, OR, MUL, DIV as well as a few combinations (with any encryption, there’s got to be a way to decrypt, right?)

One of the more fun ways to hide a message is probably one you’ve seen in a TV series or movie (I know I have but can’t remember where), namely hiding your message in a picture. This obviously has to be done in a lossless format and this one does so in a standard Windows bitmap .bmp file.

InvisibleInk

InvisibleInk was hosted on enlargeyournerd.com, but there’s apparently nothing there at the moment. No worries though, you can get the executable right here:
invisibleink.zip (384.5 KB)

The net is not reliable as a file repository and I would personally consider anything not on my harddrive gone forever. I’ve kept a backup for you in this case though - check it out, it is fun :wink:
This program use an AES Rijndale encryption and should not be decryptable without the password (but could still still be given a million years if you chose a long password meeting common password restrictions) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And since I did mention it:
… - .-- … .-… .-… -… . … — – . - … – . -… . …-. — .-. . … .----. – -… .- -.-. -.- …-. — .-. --. — --- -… .- … … … .- …- . .- … …- -. -… .-. . -… .- -. -… … … -…- - -.-- – … .-… .-… … — -. - … … -. --. … — -. – -.-- … .- -. -… … --…-- -… …- - … — .–. . …-. …- .-… .-… -.-- … - .-- — -. .----. - -… . - — --- .-… — -. --. .-.-.-

What do you know, Sunday again and I want to present yet another odd program or two :wink:

There is a new feature in Windows 10 which many people enjoy, namely the Spotlight pictures which Microsoft present on your lock-screen unless you have disabled it. I even had to do a remote session on a friends computer and re-enable the feature after disabling everything in the name of privacy. Anyway, most of you would not know how to make a copy of them for later viewing, but there are ways…

SpotlightPicView

As you can see, it displays the cached Spotlight pictures on your computer and gives you the option to save the files to a more permanent location - 'nuff said :slight_smile:

Then of course, from the same company (torchsoft.com), they’ve made their excellent ASCI art editor freeware and as I’ve mentioned previously, a tad of my nostalgia lies in relaxing by creating art using just the keyboard and the standard characters :smile:

ASCII Art Studio

I’ve presented a few tools for creating ASCII art and this is one of the programs I’ve used more often :smile:

Previously I mentioned the portable version of the tri-engine Avant Browser as a good alternative to log on to various hardware equipment as it runs both the IE, FireFox and the Chrome engine and so is a good alternative to avoid failed connects.

It was bound to happen I guess and today I hit the wall trying to connect to an old NetGear router. Avant Browser simply failed to make the connect using any of the three engines implemented. Now I was able to do my work using a terminal program (telnet on windows), but while I was waiting for IT to test, I went on a hunt and found another that actually was able to make the connect, you may want to add it to your USB :wink:

QtWeb

Like I mention, this is added to my portable USB app toolbox for compatibility when working with web interfaces locally and I have almost no experience using it for surfing the net. Since it has not seen any updates since 2013, I would advice you not to use it for online web browsing

What is important is that it made the connect and I was able to log in where Avant Browser failed. There is a portable version available for download at the site :flower:

Sorry I haven’t been keeping this thread up, but I did think there would be some others with input.

"What is MemTest86

MemTest86 is the original, free, stand alone memory testing software for x86 computers. MemTest86 boots from a USB flash drive or CD and tests the RAM in your computer for faults using a series of comprehensive algorithms and test patterns."

http://www.memtest86.com/

Recently had a Windows update take out a 2TB drive on our home server. On the reboot, it came back as uninitialized and of course even though I had the data backed up and was willing to initialize the drive which leads to formatting, Windows would not do it. Obviously I tried a few programs, but so far we have a brick. Anyway this leads to the fact that while I was researching what I could do or try, I came across a free utility, Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows) from WD.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en

To finally answer this, I previously used TeamViewer to remotely access my home PC and out of the blue when trying to use the phone app, it started saying “Commercial use suspected”. I figured it was going to get blocked one day, so I decided to replace TeamViewer with Chrome Remote desktop. All I want is remote access to my home PC and the ability to copy/paste clipboard text and the Chrome equivalent does this nicely.

Anyway, when I uninstalled TeamViewer, it asked me to fill out a quick survey and I mentioned about this commercial use issue as I only use it for my own private personal use and to connect to just the one PC at home. To my surprise, they e-mailed me explaining why they considered my usage commercial:

Thank you for contacting TeamViewer.

The personal version is only meant to be used FROM a home network and TO a home network (having nothing to do with servers).

Anything outside of a home to home network is considered commercial use (work wifi, coffee shop wifi, library wifi, university wifi, etc.)

We reviewed your log files and found connections either to or from commercial environments. Using TeamViewer in this manner requires a license.

We have several licensing options available to meet your needs. If you would like a personalized quote, please provide the following information.
[Edited out]
If you have any further questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us back.

According to their wording, connecting to your personal PC from any commercial environment Internet connection such as public Wi-Fi is considered commercial use and requires a licence. This also rules out VPN connections as such a connection would be seen as from a data centre and obviously not a home network.

The only issue I ran into with Chrome Remote desktop is that the Windows client occasionally gives an error when trying to connect. Closing and reopening the client usually does the trick. However, it seems to be just as stable as using TeamViewer and no more pop-ups about licensing or suspect commercial usage. :slight_smile: