Freebies Galore

vbimport

[QUOTE=Wombler;2776983]Sandboxie is excellent software. :iagree:

I use it all the time but I find it particularly useful for checking out dubious links that are sometimes posted in the forums.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

:iagree: I came to the conclusion that its usefulness outweigh the cons of the 5 second startup-nag after 30 days by far.

I was unable to locate any easily accessible information on a free version, but after a little digging at the site, I found it in the Licensing FAQ:

[B]Q[/B]. Is Sandboxie freeware or shareware?
[B]A[/B]. Sandboxie is shareware software. The free version is missing a few features which are available in the paid version. After 30 days of use, the free version displays reminders to upgrade to the paid version, but remains functional. [B]For personal use, you are encouraged, but not required, to upgrade to the paid version[/B].

A little ‘on the other side’ of this thread, but as you say, excellent software :iagree:

For years I had both front doors and the mid console smack full of cassettes and later CD-Rs in my car, but finally USB became an option on some models and since then I have had no CD-Rs at all in my car.

The trouble with many USB enabled car players is that they will not sort the file list on the USB but list and play the directories/files in the order they are found on the USB storage.
If that is a 32GB with a couple of hundred albums, you can probably imagine that it is a drag finding the correct album.

[B]DriveSort[/B]

DriveSort sorts the directory table of the FAT32 formatted USB drive, and so works around the limitation of your car stereo.
As the screenshot shows, you can choose to sort directories before, after or mixed with loose files at the root of the drive either in ascending or descending order. Once you set your options, select the menu [B]Folder[/B] -> [B]Sort[/B] and then [B]Folder[/B] -> [B]Save[/B]. That is all there is to it :iagree:

When I got my first USB car stereo, I spent the better of two evenings hunting the net for utilities and found quite a few. While they all offered functional sorting routines, this was the one I found best.
The years have passed since then and today there may be others doing it in an even smoother fashion so if you got another program, please provide a short description and link :flower:

[U]EDIT[/U]:
One of the most important considerations for USB storage when used with a car stereo is weight and to some degree size. Transfer speed simply is not interesting in this respect. The reason is that if you hit a bump in the road, a heavier USB stick will possibly fall out of the slot and may even damage the slot in the process.

This may be a tad too advanced for many, but besides being a good tool for advanced users it is also free :stuck_out_tongue:

[B]Active@ Disk Editor[/B]

[B]Full size[/B]

This is both a Disk editor for most common file systems as well as a Hex editor for files. You can navigate to offsets and sectors and provided you got knowledge thereof, manually repair a pesky error on the disk. Since they are few and far between these days, I wanted to make a brief mention of it

I will not go into greater details as knowledge is needed, but it comes with template view, side-by-side compare and edit of bootsector and copies among other features to ease your task including a functional search for data patterns on the disk.

For more free tools in the Active@ series, go [B]here[/B] or [B]here[/B] :slight_smile:

Pixillion Image Converter

Get it Free. A free version of Pixillion is available for non-commercial use only.
You have to scroll down to this, it’s on the right. Be advised there is a nag screen on startup which asks you to confirm non commercial use. It is brought to you by NCH Software.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/imageconverter/index.html?ns=true&gclid=CL6n98mF080CFQcKaQodz1wKjw

IT security is littered with payable options apart from actual malicious removal which is free for the most (it is in general public interest to make sure these are free for better for all).
This is true for security On-Screen-Keyboard programs to defeat key-loggers as well as mouse-loggers and so I thought I should mention a free alternative to aid you if you need one.

[B]Oxynger KeyShield[/B]

(The hardest part was to take a screenshot of the main window as it is protected)

Windows portable, secure, anti-screenshot virtual keyboard to protect sensitive information from malicious programs and hacking. Protects against keystroke logging, screen logging, mouse logging, clipboard logging and shoulder surfing.

As you can see from the first screenshot above, the application does not protect against mouse logging out of the box. This can be rectified by opening ‘Options’ where you may even create a random keyboard-key layout to further harden security. Here you can also set up shoulder surfing protection to avoid anyone looking over your shoulder from behind.

If you take a screenshot while the application is active, this is the screenshot you will get.

Now that is a non-informative screenshot apart from showing the application name :iagree:

This is the best free security OSK I have found, but since I have not looked around for the last two years, there may be others available which I am not aware of. If you got a personal favorite, make a post :flower:

What do you know, Sunday again and a nice time to be a little creative with the computer again. This time I thought I should tell you a little about fonts and if you want to download some to start your own collection, you can go [B]here[/B] (remember to set Word to include used fonts in the document or else others will not be able to see your document as intended).

Having loads of fonts in your system will slow it down and they all use RAM. I have seen a Windows 7 x64 computer with only 2GB ram where Word failed due to not enough memory because of too many fonts. Even if you are not particularly interested in fonts, the fonts folder tend to become crowded with various fonts due to installations from among others, Microsoft, Adobe and Corel. Then if you uninstall a program, it will possibly uninstall a few of your favorite fonts as well because they belonged to the installation…

There is of course a way to handle the situation using a font manager, but before I tell you about that, here is a little program so you can view the fonts installed on your system:

[B]FontViewOK[/B]

If you just need to see what is available at a glance, I will recommend this portable application as it will even display old style monospaced .fon files which none of the font managers will list :rolleyes:
(FYI: A monospaced font file can be truetype .ttf and opentype .otf format as well, but to view a .nfo file containing ASCII art correctly, an old style terminal .fon file is usually needed)
SoftwareOK have many good freewares and so check out the site while you are there :slight_smile:

The old favorite free font manager option for many used to be [B]Cfont Pro[/B], but it is discontinued and will not see any more updates.

[B]Font Runner 3[/B]

A free open source font manager for windows. Supports grouping font in sets by creating projects and will let you search your installed fonts or projects for similar fonts by right-clicking on one of the fonts in the preview window.
What I like about it is that it gives you the option to view the entire font map (all characters) and that you can share fonts with applications.

[B]nexusfont[/B]

nexusfont will let you back up your installed fonts as well as organize them in a sets you can define, just like Font runner’s projects. Contrary to Font runner, it does not display the charmap on the same screen and lists fewer fonts per page. You can however view the charmap by right-clicking a font. The keyboard works to navigate as well as you can simply click [T] to jump to fonts starting with the letter.
All in all, this is a well developed font manager which I like.

As a conclusion, both of the above are good free font managers, but since they do serve different needs, you are the only one who can decide which is the better solution for you :flower:

I would recommend this antispy for Windows

http://dws.wzor.net/

and this to update windows

http://www.wsusoffline.net/docs/

I have not tested yet but it may be interesting :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=andrea1998;2777233]I would recommend this antispy for Windows

http://dws.wzor.net/

and this to update windows

http://www.wsusoffline.net/docs/

I have not tested yet but it may be interesting :)[/QUOTE]

For ‘Destroy Windows Spying’ or DWS, please be aware of what I wrote here:

[B]Destroy Windows 10 Spying[/B]
A tool that among other things, will let you uninstall the ‘Universal’ aka ‘Metro’ apps installed in Windows 10 and indeed has a button for uninstalling all apps including Windows store by clicking clicking just one button. This is a permanent solution and there is no option offered to reinstall the uninstalled applications once they are uninstalled. If you choose to uninstall it all, your installation will be comparable to the LTSB (Long term servicing branch) editions apart from that it will not make it an enterprise edition of course. Make a complete backup of your system and make yourself able to restore offline using a bootable CD/DVD or USB before using!
Also, please observe the Christmas theme on the site which indicate that the tool and site has not seen any updates since late 2015.

[B]W[/B]indows [B]S[/B]erver [B]U[/B]pdate [B]S[/B]ervices Offline Update is a very good tool which I used for Windows 7/8, now with support for Windoes 10, I may go back.

Thanks for sharing :flower:

It’s been a good 25 years since I used a font editor as I never missed a single typeface I could not find. Back in the day, I used it for repairing typefaces (there were no internet and fonts was not as readily available as today).
In other words, I have personally never used the following programs, but since I covered font-managers which I use, I might as well make a mention of them for the aspiring font designer.

[B]FontForge[/B]

FontForge is a Free open source cross platform font editor supporting all common font formats. There is an excellent tutorial [B]here[/B]

[B]Raster Font Editor[/B]

Now for the old, but not dead bitmap font format (.fon), Raster Font Editor seems more appropriate to work in than FontForge. It is reminiscent of the old font-editors from back in the DOS days and so old-timers may enjoy the familiar way of working :flower:

We have covered Auto Mouse Clicker and Auto Key Presser here and today I want to bring attention to redefining the keyboard layout for anyone in need to make things a wee bit easier on their keyboard. That typically includes gamers and others using a PC for just one function.

[B]KeyTweak[/B]

[B]Installer[/B]: - [B]Fileset[/B]:

KeyTweak will let you redefine keys as you see fit with a few limitations as noted by the programmer. Personally I have used it from time to time to move the controls for games from my left hand to my right hand. This is so because when I started playing, the joystick/steering controls was mapped to the right hand and shooting/action was mapped to the left. Today that more or less makes me left-handed for today’s joysticks and I don’t like A,D.W,S controls as I find it awkward.

The program operates on a registry key and as such is only pseudo portable, but will happily run off a USB medium.
There is no homepage for the program anymore which was last updated in 2009 (used to be Yahoo! if memory serves me right). It still works in Windows 10 and if your keyboard does not come with such a utility, I recommend you try it :flower:

Description
KeyTweak is a simple utility that allows users to redefine their keyboard input
signals.  The functionality is made possible by a registry value first
documented in  Windows 2000, but also present in Windows NT 4.0.  and included
in XP, Vista and Windows 7.

How Does It Work? Simply put, KeyTweak is just a front-end interface for editing
a particular registry key.  Microsoft did the low-level heavy lifting by
creating this registry key.  KeyTweak makes the editing of it a little less
geeky.

Your keyboard communicates with your computer typically through a PS/2 port or a
USB port.  The data sent by your keyboard is referred to as Scan Codes.  When
you press a key, the “make” scan code for that key is received by your
computer’s i8042 controller chip.   When you release a key, the “break” scan
code is sent.

Prior to Windows 2000, device drivers had to be written to modify scan codes.
Happily, Microsoft incorporated this feature into their operating system,
thereby allowing fools like you and me to hack our registry and change the
values to anything we see fit.  The only downside is that the system has to be
rebooted to take affect.

The registry key to which I’m referring is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout  and the
binary value in that key is titled “Scancode Map”.   If you forget this, don’t
worry, just click the Show Me The Raw Map button to see what I’m talking about.
Now, I don’t recommend registry hacking to anyone – that’s why I wrote this
utility.  If you don’t know what I’ve been talking about in this section, it’s
probably better left forgotten.

Features
* Simple interface
* Ability to Teach remapping by pressing the keys to be remapped
* Easy-to-read lists of all current and pending re-mappings
* Implementation of Specialty Keys support for certain keyboards
* Remove all re-mappings with a single button
* Enable/disable annoying keys
* Displays what exactly is written to the “Scancode Map” registry value and how
  to interpret its binary data
* User warnings help ensure Ctrl-Alt-Delete sequence is maintained

Limitations
* Keytweak cannot combine keystrokes. You cannot merge Ctrl-Alt-Delete into a
  single key for example, nor can you map Alt+num key sequences into a single
  key.  The reason for this is because each keystroke generates a scancode and
  multiple scancodes are typically combined into a single keycode by the
  keyboard processor.  The keycode combinations take place downstream of
  KeyTweak’s functionality.
* Keytweak cannot affect the Fn key of most laptops.  This because the Fn key
  itself does not generate a scancode, but rather modifies the scancode of other
  keys on the keyboard.  The scancode modifications take place upstream of
  KeyTweak’s functionality.
* The Pause/Break key cannot be remapped.  This special key generates a 3-byte
  scancode, but the Scancode Map registry entry only allows for the remapping of
  2-byte scancodes.
* KeyTweak edits are global.  That is, you can’t specify user-specific,
  application-specific, or keyboard-specific remappings.  The remapping affects
  all users, allapplications, and all keyboards and all users on the machine.
  Note that some games may perform their own keyboard  remapping.  These could
  supersede or be applied in addition to KeyTweak remappings.
* Rebooting is required.  The remapping is read by the operating system upon
  start up.  Any change to the remapping will require a reboot.

KeyTweak_installer.zip (268 KB)

KeyTweak_noinstall.zip (260 KB)

Index A-Z Freebies Galore posts 1-250

To avoid posting duplicates and navigating the pages a little easier for everyone, I have created an index of the first 250 posts. Hope you find it useful :flower:

Should you notice any flaws, please let me know :iagree:

[B]Programs and tutorials[/B]:
[B]Active@ Disk Editor[/B]
[B]ADF Opus[/B]
[B]ADWCleaner[/B]
[B]AIMP[/B]
[B]All CPU Meter[/B]
[B]Altaro VM Backup[/B]
[B]AnVir Task Manager Free[/B]
[B]Aomei Backupper[/B]
[B]Aomei Partition Manager[/B]
[B]API Monitor[/B]
[B]Arabic <-> Roman Number Converter[/B]
[B]ArtGem (v1.3)[/B]
[B]ASCII Art Maker[/B]
[B]Atom text editor[/B]
[B]Audacity[/B]
[B]Auslogics Duplicate File Finder[/B]
[B]AutoKeyPresser[/B]
[B]AutoMouseClicker[/B]
[B]Autoruns[/B]
[B]Avant Browser[/B]
[B]AXCrypt[/B]
[B]Bat To EXE Converter[/B]
[B]BinDiff[/B]
[B]BinNavi[/B]
[B]BinUhr (Binary clock)[/B]
[B]BlueGriffon[/B]
[B]BRL-CAD[/B]
[B]BSDiff/BSPatch[/B]
[B]Casio fx-9860G SD (calculator)[/B]
[B]CCleaner[/B]
[B]cdrtfe - cdrtools Frontend[/B]
[B]Cdrtools[/B]
[B]CFF Explorer[/B]
[B]Cfont[/B]
[B]Checksum File Calculator[/B]
[B]Chrome[/B]
[B]ClamWin[/B]
[B]Classic Shell[/B]
[B]Control Contents Saver[/B]
[B]Convert for Windows[/B]
[B]CPU-Z[/B]
[B]CrystalDiskInfo[/B]
[B]Cubic Explorer[/B]
[B]Cukoo sandbox environment[/B]
[B]Cyberfox[/B]
[B]Daphne[/B]
[B]Debian[/B]
[B]Destroy Windows 10 Spying[/B]
[B]Detect It Easy[/B]
[B]Dexpot virtual desktops[/B]
[B]Dia[/B]
[B]DinnerWiz[/B]
[B]Dll Export Finder[/B]
[B]DNS Benchmark[/B]
[B]DOSBox[/B]
[B]Double Commander[/B]
[B]Double Driver[/B]
[B]DriverBackup![/B]
[B]DriveSort[/B]
[B]dscrypt[/B]
[B]DupeGuru[/B]
[B]Duplicate Files Finder[/B]
[B]DVDsig[/B]
[B]EaseUS Todo Backup Free[/B]
[B]Easy Watermark Studio Lite[/B]
[B]EasyBCD introduction[/B]
[B]EasyBCD[/B]
[B]EdXOR remastered[/B]
[B]EdXOR[/B]
[B]Emsisoft HiJackFree[/B]
[B]Encrypted File Scanner[/B]
[B]Enpass[/B]
[B]ERDNT[/B]
[B]ERUNT[/B]
[B]ESET SysInspector[/B]
[B]Everything (search)[/B]
[B]Excalibur 32-bit (RPN calculator)[/B]
[B]Excel viewer[/B]
[B]EXEInfoPE[/B]
[B]Explorer++[/B]
[B]Far Manager[/B]
[B]FastStone Image Viewer[/B]
[B]Fat32Format Windows GUI version[/B]
[B]Fat32Format[/B]
[B]File Mover/Copier[/B]
[B]FileHippo App Manager[/B]
[B]Finger utility[/B]
[B]FireFox[/B]
[B]FlightGear 2016[/B]
[B]FontForge[/B]
[B]FontRunner[/B]
[B]FontviewOK[/B]
[B]FooBar 2000[/B]
[B]FOX Calculator[/B]
[B]FreeCAD[/B]
[B]FreeFileViewer[/B]
[B]Frhed[/B]
[B]GeoSetter[/B]
[B]GIMP[/B]
[B]Glest (game)[/B]
[B]GNU Emacs[/B]
[B]Greenfish Icon Editor Pro[/B]
[B]HexEdit[/B]
[B]Hexplorer[/B]
[B]HiEW[/B]
[B]Hijack This[/B]
[B]HTTrack website copier[/B]
[B]HWMonitor[/B]
[B]HxD[/B]
[B]Ice Dragon[/B]
[B]Image Resizer for Windows[/B]
[B]Imagine - Image & Animation Viewer[/B]
[B]InkScape[/B]
[B]IZArc[/B]
[B]KeePass[/B]
[B]KeyTweak[/B]
[B]LibreOffice[/B]
[B]LinkChecker[/B]
[B]Linux Mint[/B]
[B]Little Painter[/B]
[B]LockHunter[/B]
[B]MadVR[/B]
[B]Malm malwaremonitor[/B]
[B]Malwarebytes Anti-Malware[/B]
[B]Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware[/B]
[B]Malwarebytes Anti-RootKit[/B]
[B]MasVis[/B]
[B]MD5Summer[/B]
[B]MediaPlayer Classic (MPC-HC)[/B]
[B]Microsoft Visual Studio Community Edition[/B]
[B]Mozilla Thunderbird[/B]
[B]Mozilla Thunderbird[/B]
[B]MP3TAG[/B]
[B]Mulberry[/B]
[B]MultiPar[/B]
[B]MuseScore[/B]
[B]NexusFont[/B]
[B]Nik Collection[/B]
[B]Nirsoft BlueScreenView[/B]
[B]Nirsoft DriverView[/B]
[B]Nirsoft RunFromProcess[/B]
[B]Not Pacman (game)[/B]
[B]Notepad++[/B]
[B]NoteTab Light[/B]
[B]NTLite[/B]
[B]O&O RegEditor[/B]
[B]OCCT[/B]
[B]OllyDebug[/B]
[B]ON1 Effects 10 FREE[/B]
[B]OpenOffice[/B]
[B]OpenVPN[/B]
[B]Opera[/B]
[B]Oxynger KeyShield[/B]
[B]PabloDraw[/B]
[B]Pacman (Flash Game)[/B]
[B]Paint.net[/B]
[B]Pass[/B]
[B]Passmark App Timer[/B]
[B]Password Safe[/B]
[B]PDF-XChange Editor[/B]
[B]PDF-XChange Viewer[/B]
[B]Personal Software Inspector PSI[/B]
[B]Phil Harvey’s Exif Tool[/B]
[B]PhotoScape[/B]
[B]PI Calc[/B]
[B]PicaJet Free[/B]
[B]Picasa[/B]
[B]Pingus (game)[/B]
[B]Pixillion Image Converter[/B]
[B]Portable Update[/B]
[B]PotPlayer multimedia player[/B]
[B]PowerPoint viewer[/B]
[B]PrivaZer[/B]
[B]Process Explorer[/B]
[B]Process Hacker[/B]
[B]RandGen[/B]
[B]Rapid Environment Editor[/B]
[B]RAR to ZIP Converter[/B]
[B]Raster Font Editor[/B]
[B]RawCopy[/B]
[B]Reg2Exe[/B]
[B]Registrar Registry Manager[/B]
[B]Resource Hacker[/B]
[B]RichEd32.dll[/B]
[B]RocketDock[/B]
[B]Roman Arabic Numerals Converter[/B]
[B]Runscanner[/B]
[B]SandboxIE[/B]
[B]Shellbag Analyzer & Cleaner[/B]
[B]Simple Duplicate Finder[/B]
[B]SimpleTax (Canada)[/B]
[B]SIV - System Information Viewer[/B]
[B]Speccy[/B]
[B]SpeedFan[/B]
[B]Spy-Keylogger[/B]
[B]SRWare Iron[/B]
[B]SSDLife freeware[/B]
[B]Static Import Finder[/B]
[B]Stellarium astronomy software[/B]
[B]Sun Clock 7[/B]
[B]SupeAntiSpyware[/B]
[B]SuperTUX (game)[/B]
[B]Sylpheed[/B]
[B]System Explorer[/B]
[B]TeamViewer[/B]
[B]Thumbcache Viewer[/B]
[B]Thumbs Viewer[/B]
[B]Toolwiz Time Freeze[/B]
[B]TouchPad Blocker[/B]
[B]TreeSize Free[/B]
[B]Ubuntu[/B]
[B]Ultimate Stunts (game)[/B]
[B]UnChecky[/B]
[B]UPX Packer[/B]
[B]VBinDiff[/B]
[B]VIM (VI iMproved)[/B]
[B]VirtualBox[/B]
[B]VirusTotal Scanner[/B]
[B]Visio viewer[/B]
[B]VLC Media Player[/B]
[B]VMWare Workstation 12 Player[/B]
[B]VSDC Free Video Editor[/B]
[B]Waterfox[/B]
[B]WaveShop[/B]
[B]Wavosaur[/B]
[B]WebMon[/B]
[B]WiFi Hotspot Scanner[/B]
[B]WiFi Network Monitor[/B]
[B]WildCrypt[/B]
[B]WinApiOverride[/B]
[B]Windows 10 virtual desktop integration[/B]
[B]Windows Security and Control General[/B]
[B]Windows Super-Hidden Files[/B]
[B]Windows Update MiniTool[/B]
[B]WinKey Disabler[/B]
[B]WinUtilities Process Security[/B]
[B]Word viewer[/B]
[B]WSUS offline[/B]
[B]wxHexEditor[/B]
[B]x64dbg[/B]
[B]XnView MP[/B]
[B]XVI32[/B]
[B]Zimbra[/B]
[B]ZynAddSubFX[/B]
[B]Zynamics Hexer[/B]

[B]Websites and offsite tutorials[/B]:
[B]20 Educational Websites for Kids[/B]
[B]24timezones[/B]
[B]Active@ freeware[/B]
[B]Astronomy Picture of the Day[/B]
[B]Auslogics free products[/B]
[B]Best free Windows software[/B]
[B]Buzz99[/B]
[B]Clipperz[/B]
[B]Completely Free Software[/B]
[B]Dariusz Stanislawek website[/B]
[B]DevStuff[/B]
[B]Duplicate file finders comparison[/B]
[B]DVDVideoMedia[/B]
[B]Firefox ectensions[/B]
[B]Flash-clocks[/B]
[B]Free Data Recovery Tools[/B]
[B]FTPArmy[/B]
[B]GiveAwayOfTheDay[/B]
[B]GiveAwayRadar[/B]
[B]HGFortune Nearly Forgotten Gems[/B]
[B]How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10[/B]
[B]Hubble Site Gallery[/B]
[B]Hubble Space Telescope Top 100 images[/B]
[B]imgur[/B]
[B]LastPass[/B]
[B]Learning For Kids[/B]
[B]Manifest specification[/B]
[B]MDGx MAX Speed WinDOwS Tricks[/B]
[B]MilesAhead Software[/B]
[B]Mission Pinball Framework[/B]
[B]NirSoft[/B]
[B]SecurityXploded[/B]
[B]Smidgeonsoft Windows Programming Utilities[/B]
[B]SoftwareOK[/B]
[B]Steve Gibson grc.com[/B]
[B]SysInternals[/B]
[B]The Free Country[/B]
[B]ThreatTrack[/B]
[B]VBScript language reference[/B]
[B]VideoTool[/B]
[B]VirusTotal[/B]
[B]WayBack Machine[/B]
[B]Weenysoft[/B]
[B]Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10[/B]
[B]Woodmanns Collaborative RCE Tool Library[/B]
[B]XML format specification[/B]

Another freeware, this time related to forums such as here at club.myce.com.
When doing a post in spare minutes over time, the forum’s editor may time out before you are able to send it. For a shorter post, you could probably prepare it in a text editor, but for a longer post the following may be good.

[B]bbEditor[/B]

A simple portable editor for creating documents in bbCode format which is used widely in online forums. With this you can finish your post even when offline, complete with all formatting like text color, list- code- spoiler- and more tags.

As you can see above, you can even preview your post in your web browser to more easily see if there are any errors. I used it for formatting my post about RAM storage as used in the example and other larger posts I’ve done in the forum.

There may be other bbEditors out there, this one I found searching for other programs and since it works I never checked :flower:

Before I begin, I really do not know how many Freebies Galore posts I’ve started in my text editor that never was finalized, but they are many. Either they ended up too advanced or the tool did not work with Windows 10 and so needs more work.

One such I never finalized was when I localized the culprit when it comes to the sluggishness of the Windows 10 Start Menu, but it is a big trade-off to be made to actually get it blazingly fast. You may wonder what I refer to, but click your start menu, then click ‘All apps’ - Notice the delay?
The culprit is SearchUI.exe which is responsible for the results when you tap [WinKey] and start typing the name of the program you want to run. Now that may just be a too big trade-off to make, but disallowing SearchUI.exe to run on your system gets the desired effect, no delay at all, just blazingly fast start menu. I simply could not find a program to present in this respect and so would have been forced to use the Group Policy Editor or Registry edits and so it stopped there :slight_smile:

Where was I… Ooh yes, Sunday again :iagree: Today I do not want to explore creativity, rather want to take you on yet another, but only somewhat advanced trip :wink:
I am saying somewhat as this can be as advanced as I want to explain it and is about the alternate data streams which may be found in files residing on NTFS drives. While you can hide most anything in there, I will only discuss one aspect, the ‘ZoneId’ of a downloaded file. The following program will list any alternate data streams of course

[B]ADS Spy[/B]

Now it says it is only compatible with Windows NT/2000/2003/XP, but this is because it miss the necessary administrative manifest. In the zip-file you will find v1.12 and not v1.11 as listed on the site and used to take the screenshots. This was downloaded from his GitHub page. The difference in v1.12 is compatibility with NTFS formatted USB drives.

Download version 1.12 with ‘Require Administrator’ manifest added: [B][/B]

As you can see from the screenshot above, I have right-clicked one of the streams found and from the context menu chosen ‘View stream contents’ this will take us to a new screen where you can view the actual contents of the stream. You can of course delete the streams from the checked files as well if you like.

So the contents of the stream is [ZoneTransfer] and ZoneId=3, but what does that mean? It is simple really, it tells the OS where the file originated. Let me show you a table to make you understand:

ID - Meaning                - Trust
0  - My Computer            - Trusted
1  - Local Intranet Zone    - Trusted
2  - Trusted sites Zone     - Trusted
3  - Internet Zone          - Not Trusted
4  - Restricted Sites Zone  - Not Trusted

Using the above table it is easy to see, since the ID is 3, that this file originated from the ‘Internet Zone’ which is not trusted and so will produce that ‘are you really, really, really, really, really sure you want to open this file’ requester :bigsmile:

Normally to make the file trusted and avoid the requester, you would right-click it in Windows Explorer choose ‘Properties’ from the context menu and check ‘Unblock’ from the file’s properties as shown below. You can however just remove the stream in ADSSpy to achieve the same result.

You do not need ADSSpy to find alternative streams, but it makes it very much easier. Here are a few commands, let us start in Command prompt
[B]Dir /R[/B] - Will not list the actual contents of the stream, but will tell you it is present like this (for the file used as an example):
[B]scintilla365.tgz: Zone.Identifier:$DATA[/B]

Now in PowerShell you can get the actual data by issuing the command ‘[B]get-content scintilla365.tgz -stream Zone.Identifier[/B]’ which will produce the same as you can see in ADSSpy.
Another feature in powershell is that you can unblock the file which is effectively the same you do in the properties dialog (again using the example): ‘[B]Unblock-File scintilla365.tgz[/B]’

For more on the subject of the ‘Attachement Manager’ and security, read Microsoft’s notes here.

If you find a stream you wonder what is all about, please do not hesitate in asking :flower:

ADSSpy112.zip (33.4 KB)

There’s only one word comes to mind Xercus, “AWESOME,” absolutely great job.

EmEditor Free Version

If you need a best free text editor, EmEditor Free might be right for you. While not at the same level of EmEditor Professional, EmEditor Free allows you to do most of text editing tasks without purchasing the product. You can use it as Notepad-replacement with enhanced features like syntax-colored highlighting, find and replace function, Unicode support, and printing capabilities. However, this free version does not include many features that EmEditor Professional offers, such as very large file support, plug-ins, macros, etc.

Starting with v13, EmEditor Free and EmEditor Professional use the same binary program. Running a single command switches Professional to Free, and vice versa. However, the Free version is available only for personal use.

Once you downgrade the product to EmEditor Free, you will never be asked to upgrade or get any marketing messages, so please go ahead and keep it as the free version as long as you would like!
https://www.emeditor.com/text-editor-features/history/emeditor-free/

[B]New in Version 16.1[/B]

https://www.emeditor.com/text-editor-features/history/new-in-version-16-1/

MediaInfo:

MediaInfo is a convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files.

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Well then, weekend again and how about a trip to what may really surprise you, your use of the computer mouse :bigsmile:

[B]Mousotron[/B]

The above image was snapped in December 2013 after using Mousotron for one month (i splitted it on two lines to make it readable here). Quite interesting if I may add, just look at it… About 17 miles of sliding the mouse around the screen, 182478 left-clicks, 10287 right-clicks, 14201 double-clicks and 335340 scrolls on the mousewheel. The program does not stop there, but also records keystrokes and as you can see I’ve done 237815 during the time. In addition, it can show you what pixel coordinate the mousepointer is at on the screen, but then comes the shocking part… The Idletime… with more than 19 days idle, it clearly shows you that all this was done in about 11 days :eek: - No wonder people develop the mouse arm condition.

the program is very straight forward to use and set up and so I simply show you a screenshot:

Personally I have never had a hurting arm from using the mouse, but I have had a hurting middle finger from a non-smooth rolling mousewheel (you know those that wobble when you roll it) and ever since I have only bought mouse peripherals with a smooth rolling mouse wheel.

Check it out and be surprised :flower:

I have just started to use this and IMO, it is more compatible with .DOC etc than Libre or Open office.

WPS Office 2016 free edition

“The perfect free office suite for home or school.”

https://www.wps.com/office-free

So this also available on android, i think that my phone comes with the free version :slight_smile: i’ll check the windows version.
Thanks.

I recently went from server 2011 R2 to server 2012 R2 and was stumbling around trying to find an anti-virus program that would work and I found the following. I have only been using it for a few days and as you will see I did not go with the full blown security suite, but the essential one.

I forgot to mention that it’s free and I did not install the Avira or Bitdefender scan engines yet. It is also real time protection.

I just got asked a question a little on the other side.

I understand that magnetic hard drives are supposed to refresh themselves during usage, but how do I solve this for my backup drives without copying the data to a new disk? These drives are only connected a few times each year and I worry I could loose data.
Thinking about it for a short while, I came to realize that this is a more relevant question today than it ever was and so I checked … and found this:

[B]DiskFresh[/B]

DiskFresh is a simple yet powerful tool that can refresh your hard disk signal without changing its data by reading and writing each sector and hence making your disk more reliable for storage.
It also informs you if there are any damaged/bad sectors so you know the right time to replace your disk. The best part is, unlike other tools it does all this when Windows is running and it does not interfere with the speed of your work at all.

Sounded nice and so I downloaded it only to be informed by the installer that the tool did not support Windows 10 :doh:
Weeell, since the guy asking had Windows 10 Pro x64, I figured I would have a go and see for myself.
I unpacked the installer manually, making sure I got both the x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64bit) versions out and without further work, the above interface (window) came up.
The installer script notes a destination for the ‘PuranRefreshDriver.sys’ file to be the ‘System32\Drivers’ folder and so I manually copied the file to the folder.

What I found is that the tool happily supports Windows 10, but the installer does not. In other words, if you are on Windows 7 or Windows 8.x, go to the above address, download and install. If you are on Windows 10, download the file corresponding to your OS version, x86 or x64 below and read on:

32-bit:
64-bit:

Unzip the archive to where you want to run it from, a folder named ‘DiskFreshx??’ will be created.
Do not use ‘C:\Program Files’ as your destination though. The tool saves the report to its own folder which is not allowed in ‘C:\Program Files’.
As I’ve noted on several occasions, I have created a folder on C:\ and named it simply ‘Programs’ where I install all older programs. This escapes the restrictions put on the ‘Program Files’ hierarchy and enables the application to write to its own folder.

After unzipping:

1. Open the ‘DiskFreshx86’ or ‘DiskFreshx64’ folder.
  2. Open the ‘Drivers’ subfolder. Once at the location in Windows Explorer you will see only one file: ‘PuranRefreshDriver.sys’
  3. at the top of the Windows Explorer window, choose the file tab and open an administrative command prompt by clicking the choice as shown below:

In the black background command prompt window that opens, issue the command:

Copy PuranRefreshDriver.sys C:\Windows\System32\drivers

If done right, it will say ‘1 file copied’. Now you can start the ‘DiskFresh.exe’ program and refresh hard disk contents as you see fit :flower:

DiskFreshx86.zip (306 KB)

DiskFreshx64.zip (333 KB)