Freebies Galore

vbimport

Auslogics: premium products scroll down to free products.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/

We are getting more and more global, We have international forums just like here at club.myce.com and so it has never been more important to know the time it is around the world. As an example, me and beef barley lives 8 time zones apart and so he is likely to answer a question while I am asleep, in other words, I’ll be reading his answer in the morning for the most.
Sure, even Windows lets you add a few clocks and you could go online to [B]flash-clocks.com[/B] or [B]24timezones.com[/B], but personally I enjoy having an alternative installed as it is quicker.
While most free alternatives are basic, but functional this is not always the case.

[B]Sun Clock 7[/B]

[B]Full size[/B]

What I like about the display is that it gives you everything at a glance, even earths shadow and so it is easy to read. As you can see it also displays a lot of information when it comes to my home location :slight_smile:
This is actually a clock that conquers many paid alternatives like when we switch from ‘Map’ to ‘Clock’ at top left.

[B]Full size[/B]

Now, here is information about the moon and solstice/equinox as well as astrology for those interested. If you look at the map, it is correctly centered at my location as well, quite a chronometer in other words.
There is even a sky view, but it didn’t scale to 50% too well and so you will have to look at the [B]Full size[/B].
While we are well off at the moment with a current sunrise at 03:54 and sunset at 22:37 (it never really gets dark this time of the years and so we have dusk 'till dawn :wink: ), if you look at Winter Solstice, we do catch up with barely 6 hours daylight and a long 18 hours night.

The clock is designed around a 1080p display but it works great also on smaller displays, check it out - If you have a personal favorite please make a post :flower:

We had a small discussion in the news section on the subject of Password Managers and security and so I though I should take it to this thread.
Before I begin, to all of you who reuse your password over and over on way too many sites on the net, I will urge you to start using any password manager and stop your practice. Regardless of what I write below about doubts and fears, you are all worst in class security-wise, no offence :flower:

I have to admit that while online Password Managers are convenient to the point you have access to them wherever there is an internet connection, I fear tommorrow’s attacks so much I hesitate in recommending them.
This may of course be a tad more than necessary sceptical, but while the known attacks does not pose any risk, the so far unknown attacks and vulnerabilities must be considered very dangerous until proven otherwise.
If we look at the short history of the internet, we find many examples of security mechanisms that was thought safe until compromised. While we have come a long way since the start, the internet has just left its infancy as far as security goes and in my view, we have yet to see the worst of security breaches. We tend not to think about it, but as long as our PC/Laptop is connected to the internet, we will always be vulnerable as the attack or malware always comes before the cure/vaccine… just like viruses do to humans.

For the online options, [B]LastPass[/B] probably is the most used of the lot and comes with a free basic package as well as paid Premium for private use. What you will miss in the free package is the ability to sync between devices. I am puzzled about what they write on the site though as for the free package it reads ‘Two-factor authentication’ while for the Premium, it reads ‘Premium two-factor’. The latter is mentioned as ‘Additional multifactor authentication options’.
Personally I don’t think companies who choose to keep free users at reduced security can be recommended, but I leave that for you to decide.
In day to day use, this is very easy to use and fills in password automatically and works well on all platforms

The other online Password Manager I’ve heard of is [B]Clipperz[/B] (GitHub page).
Free open source online password manager which works on any web-browser supporting Javascript. You can make an offline copy of your passwords in an encrypted HTML file, but there is no automatic update and so the offline copy is static. What I find interesting is that the site actively welcome researchers to do penetration testing.

With the above two online alternatives, I skip back to more familiar waters and offline alternatives.

[B]KeePass[/B]

One of the most widespread Password Managers out there and comes both as a portable and installable version. The popularity is helped by the application being open source, cross platform Windows, Linux, OS-X and is ported to both iOS and Android. In other words, you can use it on whatever platform you like.
The program also supports plugins for internet browsers and so can fill in passwords automatically. The program is hosted on Sourceforge where you can browse the main downloadable files.
As shown in the screenshot, I really like the fact that you can select which browser you want to use.

[B]Enpass[/B]

This is also a popular password manager out there and is the successor and big brother of WalletX which had many users (may still have for all I know). It is cross platform closed source and is free for desktop operating systems like Windows, MAC and Linux, but for mobile there is only a paid alternative (20 free entries does not count as free).
While it is as easy to use as KeePass and supports browser plugins, I find the installer odd because the user get no choice for where to install (Program Files (x86)), it extracts the Visual C++ redistributables to the root of the drive and does not clean up this clutter after install. Another thing that lets it down a bit is the lack of a portable alternative, but more on that subject last in this post.

[B]Password Safe[/B]

With Password Safe, we are down to a highly secure but old fashioned password keeper. To my knowledge, no security issues has been found in the encryption and so Password Safe really is a fitting name.
There is a portable edition named ‘PasswordSafe2Go’ which is commercial, but even the freeware can be set up to use configuration files in its folder instead of the registry as well. If you look at ‘Related projects’ you will see that there are many ports for mobile and other platforms.

[B]Pass[/B]
A Unix/Linux command line password manager for the advanced old-timer. Supporting Bash completition, you can hit tab after a few characters. No further introduction needed for those interested in this, they will know :slight_smile:

[B]Notes[/B]:
The lack of a portable alternative really makes the security picture very much more complicated and so does plugins in browsers. What it does is make your database exposed to potential hacking at all times which is of almost no concern if the application is kept on a USB device not connected unless used.
Convenience often means a trade-off for security in this respect, one only the individual user can decide for himself and so much as it is said, you are safe even with an online choice as of today.

The above thoughts are general concerns about IT security when it comes to keeping your passwords safe and to help you make an educated decision.

Let me end this as it started with the bottom line: Anything is better than reusing your password over and over. Think about it, would you reuse your PayPal or other passwords where you can pay either directly or indirectly using your credit card? If you answer yes to that question, I would say you have some work to do :flower:

I have used Lastpass free for years, but saying that doesn’t mean that I use it for all.

Part of Firefox’s appeal stems from its powerful add-ons system, which allows users to install plug-ins that add to the browser’s functionality. Here are 40 extensions that will turbocharge your surfing experience. By automating tasks, providing more control over how websites are displayed, and adding new ways to search for information, these extensions will make Firefox faster and easier to use.

by John Corpuz & Rico Mossesgeld Jun 16, 2016

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/304-free-mozilla-firefox-extensions.html

I run Windows Home Server 2011, 500 GB partitioned for the main OS, a TB drive and 5 x 2TB drives. Anyway I have never put anything to do with documents on it except PDF-X Change Viewer and of course I could use this, but I decided to go and get a “free” doc viewer. I had thought about Microsoft’s before, but thought it was too old. I decided to give it a go today, so downloaded and installed Word Viewer and the Microsoft Compatibility Pack. The point of all this rambling is that as old as it is, it works and it’s free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=4

Don’t forget the compatibility pack. The link for this can be found by opening up the Install Instructions.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2776453]I run Windows Home Server 2011, 500 GB partitioned for the main OS, a TB drive and 5 x 2TB drives. Anyway I have never put anything to do with documents on it except PDF-X Change Viewer and of course I could use this, but I decided to go and get a “free” doc viewer. I had thought about Microsoft’s before, but thought it was too old. I decided to give it a go today, so downloaded and installed Word Viewer and the Microsoft Compatibility Pack. The point of all this rambling is that as old as it is, it works and it’s free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4

Don’t forget the compatibility pack. The link for this can be found by opening up the Install Instructions.[/QUOTE]
Information about the necessity of the compatibility pack online [B]here[/B].

To complement your share for the Word viewer, I will add a link to the other free Office viewers from Microsoft in case someone wants them:
[B]Excel[/B]
[B]PowerPoint[/B]
[B]Visio[/B]

E-mail clients, while being in decline among younger users as they all seem to prefer instant messaging to the dated e-mail, they have an account to be able to register programs, accounts on the net and so on.
There are many options out there when it comes to free alternatives and again I will only present a few to make an opening for other readers to make a post with their preferred program :flower:

[B]Mozilla Thunderbird[/B]

This is one of the more widespread e-mail clients and my personal choice to install for users not knowing what they prefer.
Cross-platform, available for all major formats and most languages it has become a favorite for many users. A while back a calendar function was implemented to make it work more like a PIM.
Supporting encryption, RSS feeds and good junk mail ‘Bayesan’ filtering makes it able to even detect scams. Add to it a search function which is quick and easy to use, it all makes for a good alternative to the business standard commercial Outlook application.

[B]Mulberry[/B]

Powerful and versatile open source e-mail client with calendar function for all major formats. The program implements possibility for strong encryption/privacy and is overall a complex mail client not too easy to use for the novice computer user.
While it has great manual filtering capabilities, it does not have the easyness of Thunderbird’s intelligent spam filtering. What you get in return is good manual control which may appeal to more advanced users.

[B]Sylpheed[/B]

I wanted to mention this small efficient Windows program, mostly for the young out there as it is the smallest of the lot. A surprisingly flexible progam for its size.
It is true that it will not let you reflow text (only wordwrap) and it does not support HTML formatting in the internal editor, but younger user are usually not too in for anything but getting their message across :wink:
However, its external search program lets you locate any mail in a breeze and it supports encryption. So if you only need mail support for the occasional message, this is your small effective alternative.
For the old-timers, this program also supports usene t/news accounts just like Thunderbird (that is back to its text origin as the binary heydays are more or less gone :wink: )

There are loads of good competitors out there and so the above does not in any way represent a worthy list of what to use, more three alternatives representing different aspects of usage :flower:

Well, I found another batch of freebies and so far have tested the video cutter joiner. It has 2 ways to join, same formats and not the same formats. I joined 2 files, one 1 hour plus and the other 1 hour plus, it took seconds because of no reencoding. On the install Unchecky came to my rescue on an accept/decline part. If Unchecky hadn’t have been there I would have accepted what I thought was license terms, bit in fact was not, because I was not paying attention.

The easiest video cutter joiner software can cut large video file and remove unwanted parts like commercials, outtakes and trailers. Free Video Cutter Joine works well with many file formats like AVI, MPEG, MP4, WMV, 3GP, FLV,etc…

http://www.dvdvideomedia.com/

I have never used any of the following, but I know about the author and thought they deserved to be in this thread. The latest date I saw on the site was 2013.

http://milesaheadsoftware.org/

Now this one is probably of the better known malware scanners out there and so I guess most of you know it and use it already. If not…

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Now I got a bird singing in my ear that depending on criteria I would not know, you will have to enter contact info to download?
Now, this is a security tool and privacy comes as part of that. Should you run into the request for personal info, you can try this or this address :flower:

The last installer screen looks like this:

To use the free version, you should untick ‘[I]Enable free trial of Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium[/I]’ in the screen above.
What you miss in the free version is most notably the real-time protection (malware monitoring/web-protection).

Once you click ‘Finish’ you get to the main screen or ‘Dashboard’.

As you can see above, no scan has been performed on this computer yet. You can also start a default scan directly, but there are two ways to scan and clicking on the ‘Scan’ button in the toolbar gives you a choice to start either.

As you can see above, the third way of scanning ‘Hyper scan’ is not available in the free edition. I will recommend you do a ‘Threat Scan’ unless you want to check specific files.

The settings are pretty straight forward and if you look to the left, even the free edition will let you exclude files and directories should any files give you a false positive. The most interesting setting is ‘Detection and Protection’ and as you can see, the scan for rootkits is not performed unless you check the box. After you have made your selections, start your scan.

The above is the progress screen and after the scan has finished, the results are presented and you get the possibility to remove threats found :flower:

I clicked the first link you supplied, which took me to here.

Clicked download free version and when the popup showed up, I saved the file, no info required. I have no clue what or where I went yesterday on their website.

@ Xercus could you please elaborate on the scan for rootkit, good or bad?

[QUOTE=beef barley;2776672]I clicked the first link you supplied, which took me to here.

Clicked download free version and when the popup showed up, I saved the file, no info required. I have no clue what or where I went yesterday on their website.

@ Xercus could you please elaborate on the scan for rootkit, good or bad?[/QUOTE]

Probably will not hurt, but since it is unchecked by default it seems to me that even Malwarebytes thinks it is only a light check. Another indication thereof is that they got a dedicated [B]Anti-RootKit[/B] which is in Beta. In other words, it will not be a substitute for scheduled rootkit scans. For more rootkit scanners, check out this search.

There is however a shift towards ransomware and Malwarebytes got a program covering even that field. For some reason I was unable to find it on their site, but it is available for download [B]here[/B]. However, Malwarebytes did release a ‘sneak peek’ youtube video presentation themselves:

//youtu.be/WOkUhGlXnRg

Appreciate the reply and what you said makes sense.

Best Free Windows Desktop Software - Editors Choice Selection

Submitted by MidnightCowboy | Last update on 10th January, 2016

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-windows-desktop-software.htm

What do you think?

There is a private setting within Imgur, does not have to be public.

Imgur is an online image sharing community and image host founded by Alan Schaaf.

http://imgur.com/

We all know we are more vulnerable whenever we communicate online. What can we do to further protect ourselves when we surf the net?

As hinted above, the basics are Anti- Virus/Malware/Ransomware protection and a good firewall configuration which will help, but nothing is foolproof. Then there is the possibility of isolating the browser and run it in a sandbox of course.

[B]SandboxIE[/B]

I downloaded a file in the sandbox. Rightclicking it gives me the option to copy it out of the sandbox as well as run it in the sandboxed environment.

While advertised with a ‘Buy Now’ button up front for both commercial and private use, you can use it for free (after the initial 30 days, it will transform into a ‘nag’-ware of sorts, bringing up a 5 second nag to register when started, but I find the program good and so one 5 second nag pass as acceptable).

The limitation of the free version is that it does not support more than one sandbox and does not support automatic or forced sandboxed programs.

Now when installing, you will get a new handy icon on your desktop (by default without the .lnk extension):

Double-Clicking the icon starts your default web-browser in the sandbox. In Windows Explorer, you can also righ-click programs and from the context menu select to run them sandboxed. Nothing is absolutely secure of course, but surfing this way, you have a great extra layer of security in this seemingly never ending fight to stay as safe as possible.

You can terminate programs in the sandbox and empty the sandbox from the ‘Sandbox’ menu. This way, no traces are left on your computer after you deleted the contents of the sandbox. If you installed any plugins during the sanboxed session, it will be gone as well the next time the browser is started :flower:

Fat32Format

ww.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Windows GUI version of fat32format

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Windows Super-Hidden Files

I thought for a while if I should post this at all, but it may be interesting for some and so here goes. As this is internal to Windows, it is somewhat off topic in this forum thread, but free it is :flower:

Windows does not show file extensions for known file types such as exe, mp3, txt, doc, avi, etc by default.
This was done in an effort to make user experience easier to not confuse users by showing various known file extensions. Windows allows you to show these hidden file extensions if you enable the feature using Folder Options. Just disable “[B]Hide extensions for known file types[/B]” option in Folder Options (You find it in windows 10 by opening an Explorer window and chose [B]File[/B]->[B]Folder and Search options[/B] or [B]File[/B]->[B]Options[/B] depending on if the window is open at ‘[B]This PC[/B]’ or another folder. Once open, choose the [B]View [/B]tab.

Once you disable the option, Windows will start showing almost all file extensions and you’ll be able to distinguish between different file types. In my opinion this feature should come enabled by default as it might be a big security risk. Its very easy to mask an EXE file as TXT or any other filetype by renaming the file to filename.txt.exe. If Windows is set to hide file extensions, you’ll see the file name as filename.txt and you’ll never know that the file is actually an executable (with the default text file icon it is easy to be fooled). As soon as you open the txt file, it’ll execute the exe file and the file could potentially infect your computer.

As is evident from the above screenshot and in the name of security, I have also chosen to ‘[B]Show hidden files, folders and drives[/B]’ as well as unchecked ‘[B]Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)[/B]’. It is [U]NOT[/U] recommended to hide protected operating system files as Microsoft suggests, it means you will never be able to spot malware either as they typically hide as a protected operating system file. It is always advisable to show all file extensions as well as all hidden files in Windows.

Now, even if you ask Windows to show all files and extensions by adjusting the above mentioned options, there are still system reserved file extensions which are not shown in Windows Explorer to beautify Windows’ presentation to the user.
These file extensions include LNK (file shortcuts), URL (Internet shortcuts), PIF (DOS shortcuts), etc.
To achieve this Windows uses a Registry string value called ‘[B]NeverShowExt[/B]’. If you set this string for any desired file extension in Registry Editor, that file extension will never be shown in Windows Explorer.

The following is a list of some common super hidden file extensions which are set to never show in Windows Explorer:

[ul]
[li] LNK (File/Folder Shortcut)[/li][li]PIF (MS-DOS Program Shortcut)[/li][li] SCF (Windows Explorer Command)[/li][li] SHB (Document Shortcut)[/li][li]SHS (Shell Scrap Object)[/li][li]URL (Internet Shortcut)[/li][li]XNK (Exchange Folder Shortcut)[/li][/ul]
Installing any Office version further extends this list with even more hidden extensions.

Again I think it is a big security risk. Anyone can create a scrap object or any other malicious program and rename it to filename.txt.shs. Obviously Windows will not show the .shs extension and you’ll see the filename as filename.txt.

So what’s the solution? How to show all file extensions including these super hidden file extensions in Windows?
Simple, you just need to search for and delete the ‘[B]NeverShowExt[/B]’ string value present in Windows Registry for the super hidden file types you would like to see and the file extension will be shown in Windows.

Personally I have deleted all ‘[B]NeverShowExt[/B]’ from my registry as I am not particularly in for beautifying by removing extensions so my shortcuts all have .lnk at the end of the filename, all web-links have .url and so on.

Sandboxie is excellent software. :iagree:

I use it all the time but I find it particularly useful for checking out dubious links that are sometimes posted in the forums.

[B]Wombler[/B]