Free Windows 10 on less than 10% of all computers after 3 months

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Free Windows 10 on less than 10% of all computers after 3 months[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/11/StatCounter-os-ww-monthly-201504-201510-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Three months after its release, Windows 10 is installed on 8% of all computers worldwide. Windows 7 remains the most popular operating system, according to statistics from StatCounter.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/free-windows-10-on-less-than-10-of-all-computers-after-3-months-77689/](http://www.myce.com/news/free-windows-10-on-less-than-10-of-all-computers-after-3-months-77689/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Yours stats and graphs are including tablet and console operating systems, should’ve used the Desktop only metric like you’ve done previously.

Every sensible person expected Windows 10’s increase to slow down. but you have to ask how many are still upgrading their old os’s for free vs how many of those are new computers.

Microsoft made a real good O/S with windows 7 and it’s going to be hard to beat, I’m not surprised that less than 10% of computers use 10. It is nowhere near as good as 7. Sorry to all those 10 lovers, fine if that’s what you like. six out of 9 people I know that have upgraded switched back to 7.
Two of them had to pay to get it working on their machines and now wish they hadn’t bothered. the last one is still getting to grips with it.
What’s the real advantage in 10? A new Direct X, what else?

My 10 test rig is still a little unstable at times, mostly at boot up, I never know when it’s going to freeze. A hard reset usually sorts it out. OK, it’s better than 8.1, then again what isn’t. I still can’t rely on it like this always stable 7 rig I use every day.
Will 10 get better? I hope so, but Microsoft has a long way to go yet.

My laptop only sold because the person that wanted it hated 8.1 that was installed on it and didn’t want to go backwards to 7, although they have only ever seriously used XP.
I hope all is well for them.

Isolated there are these obvious candidates:

• Faster boot-up time
  • Faster day to day use
  • Enhanced search function
  • Better file copy interface
  • Storage Spaces including redundancy and hot-swap
  • Enhanced desktop manangement including virtual desktops
  • DX 12 (for players)

Privacy issues are discussed in multiple threads already so go there to get more info thereof.

*Faster boot up time, not as fast as my 7 rig.
*Faster day to day use? Means nothing to me as 10 is unstable.
*Search, I can search adequately on 7.
*Better file copy interface Maybe if used professionally, no real advantage to me.
*Enhanced desktop manangement including virtual desktops. I manage my desktop in 7 perfectly adequate for my needs.
*DX 12, already mentioned, no use to me as I don’t play games.

I feel all of these things could have been achieved in 7 with all be it with a fair bit of work and we could have kept the good stuff in 7.
All 10 was created to achieve was to use it on multi platforms. I cant see a smart phone coping with Aero.
Thanks for the input Xercus. When 10 matures, it will I’m sure be much better, but again at the moment I don’t find it better. Obviously some do.

I upgraded to 10 and it’s decent.  The bootup time isn’t much different than win7 (I use an SSD).

I made a few tweaks and installed classic start menu.   It really doesn’t feel a whole different than win 7.  I’ll need/want dx12 for gaming when it comes out.

I took Win10 for free, but I doubt I would of ever paid for it.

I upgraded to 10 and it’s decent.  The bootup time isn’t much different than win7 (I use an SSD).

I made a few tweaks and installed classic start menu.   It really doesn’t feel a whole different than win 7.  I’ll need/want dx12 for gaming when it comes out.

I took Win10 for free, but I doubt I would of ever paid for it.

@roho, good point, I’ve changed the graph to reflect the numbers without mobile, console and tablets. And I’ve changed the percentages in the text accordingly. The difference for Windows 10 was around 0.7% in case anyone wants to know.

For me, It’s Windows 10 native hardware support that makes it worth while. Then there is all the other enhancements mentioned in this thread.

Try installing Windows 7 on Intel’s new Skylake platform. It can be done but you have to jump through hoops to get it working, Even when you do get it working, trying to find Windows 7 drivers isn’t easy.

Try installing Windows 7 on an NVMe SSD. Again it can be done, but what a hassle. :slight_smile:

Like I have said before, I really like Windows 10 Pro, for me its very stable, I have no issues at all, and I just like the whole setup. :slight_smile:

My windows 7 machine does exactly what I want it to. I use a Samsung 850 SSD boot drive, it’s fast booting. The other drives are WD enterprise velociraptors also faster than standard 5400 rpm drives. Why would I want a NVMe SSD and why at the moment would I want want to spend a huge amount of money on a new mobo and a Skylake CPU with DDR4 RAM. plus whatever else I would need to update.
Dee your reviews are brilliant and you need all the new stuff to do it. I just use a good computer that’s reliable and cost a lot of money not that long ago. I’m not wasting a perfectly good machine with often used apps/programmes that only work on 7.
I dare say I will eventually have to use 10, but until then, I’m sticking with 7 on my daily rig. I do have a 10 rig with some good hardware in it, but it’s for experiment and eval purposes only.

So what have the Romans ever done for us. :wink:

Let’s be FAIR here - it’s less the new unexciting OS that destroys Microsoft popularity… it’s the spyware factor that kills MS in the first place.

I am pretty sure no matter what OS Microsoft would invent next it will fail as bad as Win10. Microsoft’s ignorance is touching … as this problem will slowly hound them into extinction.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2762804]Isolated there are these obvious candidates:[/QUOTE]Only if they were truly evolutionary…but not really.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2762804]* Faster boot-up time[/QUOTE]
This is a water shed moment…ok… Eye of the Beholder…

[QUOTE=Xercus;2762804]* Faster day to day use[/QUOTE]
As oppose to using Windows 7?

[QUOTE=Xercus;2762804]* Enhanced search function[/QUOTE]
I call this making your own folders and saving files to it that is a better file search.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2762804]* Better file copy interface[/QUOTE]
And the masses will use this how much?

[QUOTE=Xercus;2762804]* Storage Spaces including redundancy and hot-swap[/QUOTE]
Endusers not using…so wasted resources…

[QUOTE=Xercus;2762804]* Enhanced desktop manangement including virtual desktops[/QUOTE]
And drum roll…

[QUOTE=Xercus;2762804]* DX 12 (for players)[/QUOTE]
I’ll see it when I comes…

[QUOTE=Xercus;2762804]Privacy issues are discussed in multiple threads already so go there to get more info thereof.[/QUOTE]But not at the cost of giving out one information and failing to mentioning to the user of the O/S - ops you just gave us the rights to your information.

[QUOTE=Dee;2762813]For me, It’s Windows 10 native hardware support that makes it worth while. Then there is all the other enhancements mentioned in this thread.[/QUOTE]I see nothing in the Win10 that benefits a Internet users other then Windows 7 doing the same and more.

[QUOTE=Dee;2762813]Try installing Windows 7 on Intel’s new Skylake platform. It can be done but you have to jump through hoops to get it working, Even when you do get it working, trying to find Windows 7 drivers isn’t easy.[/QUOTE]HUH? Intel will get drivers for it how would one say something like this for? Not sure where that came from left field but I doubt Skylake will be a Win10 only platform. When I go Skylake it will still be Windows 7 all the way.

[QUOTE=Dee;2762813]Try installing Windows 7 on an NVMe SSD. Again it can be done, but what a hassle. :)[/QUOTE]Not sure where that is but most users will go Sata SSD the cost would exclude the masses. The speed difference for every Internet browsing they wouldn’t notice it. Waste of MONEY…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2762819]But not at the cost of giving out one information and failing to mentioning to the user of the O/S - ops you just gave us the rights to your information.
[/QUOTE]
What information? The EULA for Win 7 also changed. No information from my system leaks out, but then again, I am at the frontline, not running around in circles behind it. :bigsmile:

I’m sure nothing leaks out of my 10 rig that could be called spying by Microsoft.
That’s not a problem any more.
We can argue all year about this, it’s horses for courses really. I’m getting used to 10, but I can’t update some of the programmes I use regularly and like a lot.
This 7 rig is too good at the moment to update. I need nothing better as yet.
I will continue to play with 10, and see what apps become available to eventually replace the ones I use now. Some of them are being used in compatibility mode.
Eventually 7 will become obsolete, OK when it does, I should be up to speed with 10, but I ain’t there yet. I will miss 7, but I miss Concord and the space shuttle as well.
Xercus, thanks for the help with security on 10, it’s been very helpful and easy to understand and use. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2762819]
HUH? Intel will get drivers for it how would one say something like this for? Not sure where that came from left field but I doubt Skylake will be a Win10 only platform. When I go Skylake it will still be Windows 7 all the way.[/quote]I’m not sure if you’re just ignorant of the facts, or just plain rude.

I say it because it’s true. Skylake does not natively support Windows 7.
Win 8.1 or Win 10 is the only MS OS supported with Skylake and Z170.
Some motherboard manufacturers are slowly adding some support for Win 7, but it is slow, not widespread, and not complete.

When have you seen a Skylake system on sale with an optical drive? That means you either fit one yourself, or install Win 7 from USB. But since Windows 7 doesn’t natively support USB3/3.1. You’ll have to slipstream USB3 drivers before you can install.
As I said, it can be done, but you’ll have to jump through loops to do it.

This year maybe, but NVMe SSD’s will become the norm for a system drive very soon, with SATA SSDs getting larger and probably reserved for storing data, much like HDD’s are used at the moment.

They aren’t much more expensive at the moment than a high end SATA SSD anyway.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2762841]Xercus, thanks for the help with security on 10, it’s been very helpful and easy to understand and use. :)[/QUOTE]

You are welcome. I try to keep explanations simple and by that, hopefully usable regardless of skills… within limits of course. Thank you for verifying that I succeed :flower: