Free Unlimited/Lifetime Upgrades?

vbimport

I have been using he free versions of dvdfab for quite a while, great product. I just bought DVDFab Platinum 4.x and was wondering if I will still receive free unlimited/lifetime upgrades? I looked all over the site and cannot see any reference to any upgrades at all. The banners over the last few days seem to make me believe that once version 5 comes out, there will not be any more free version upgrades.

Does anyone know?

Thanks
JB

[QUOTE=jbdraco;2054077]I have been using he free versions of dvdfab for quite a while, great product. I just bought DVDFab Platinum 4.x and was wondering if I will still receive free unlimited/lifetime upgrades? I looked all over the site and cannot see any reference to any upgrades at all. The banners over the last few days seem to make me believe that once version 5 comes out, there will not be any more free [U]version[/U] upgrades.

Does anyone know?

Thanks
JB[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should contact them by email on customer service and see what they say to you?

I don’t know how you missed it but users who registered before TODAY (May 9, 2008) will continue to get free lifetime upgrades.

Sorry guys…

I guess I didn’t read the FAQ:

[B]Do I need to pay for upgrades?[/B]

After May 8, 2008, Fengtao Software Inc. has changed the license policy. There isn’t FREE lifetime software upgrades and technical support anymore, but all existing customers who buy before May 8, 2008 will still get it. To encourage us to provide better software and support, new customers need purchase license and renew their license after it’s expired.

As a pre-may 8 licensed user, there’s a couple of question I want to ask. 1.) To upgrade to 5020, do I need to download Platinum and Mobile Option separately and 2) How would the future upgrades be handled? Separately also?

So is my lifetime free upgrade still good for lifetime if I purchased Version 4.XX last year?

My DVDFab Platinum is no longer asking me to update, and the download section of the website no longer shows “UPDATE” but it does show “UPGRADE”. This is why I ask.

How can I update my DVDPlatinum Version 4.XX & still keep DVD to Mobile?

It is all one download, as before. You will need a new (free) registration key for v5+. The installer has or at least had a button to get this or you can also go to the support page on Fengtao’s website. Be sure to select the correct (v5+) key in the drop down selector.

[quote=DREAMLINER;2054152]So is my lifetime free upgrade still good for lifetime if I purchased Version 4.XX last year?

My DVDFab Platinum is no longer asking me to update, and the download section of the website no longer shows “UPDATE” but it does show “UPGRADE”. How can I update my DVDPlatinum Version 4.XX?[/quote]Download from the link in the forum or Fengtao’s website, install it, get a new v5+ key using the methods I just described.

I notice it wants to install it in a new folder Platinum 5 instead of overiting the old folder. Does one delete the platinum 4 folder later or was this installer suppose to do this on its own?

The installer did not show me a drop down menu for V5+.

You can leave the v4 folder inplace or delete it later, they will coexist nicely.

If V5 works nicely I dont see a need to keep the V4 folder, can one simply delete the folder or are there other orphan files floating around with V4 as well.

The reason I ask is Vista has given me problems sometimes me deleted folders like that.

I also notice that V4 has its own uninstaller in the V4 menu. If I did that will it effect the Version 5?
Windows also shows it as a seperate uninstall, but usually one is better of using the programs own uninstaller.

[quote=DREAMLINER;2054177]If V5 works nicely I dont see a need to keep the V4 folder, can one simply delete the folder or are there other orphan files floating around with V4 as well.

The reason I ask is Vista has given me problems sometimes me deleted folders like that.

I also notice that V4 has its own uninstaller in the V4 menu. If I did that will it effect the Version 5?
Windows also shows it as a seperate uninstall, but usually one is better of using the programs own uninstaller.[/quote]I am leaving v4 for testing purposes for the time being, but if v5 is installed and working there is no reson to keep 4. I think I would use the v4 uninstaller. Stormjumper has excellent manual uninstall instructions linked in his sig for Vista and XP, but be careful not to delete a file that v4 and v5 both use. I’m not sure if his instructions account for the fact that you have a version of DVDFab that you want to remain. The file vso_hwe.dll for instance is part of the VSO burning engine and there are others. Run a reg cleaner after the uninstall.

I seen his uninstall guide, and it was helpful last time I used it. V4 gave me problems on my initial install with vista, and his guide was the only way to do a complete uninstall safely. Like you said I do not know if Stormjumper updated it for V5 so I think I will do as you wait a bit and make sure V5 is working O.K. on this end.

I suppose if a total uninstall of V4 did create a problem a reinstall of V5 with the new REG Key should fix it anyway?

Yes, it should. It would replace the missing files, not sure about registry entries.

Maybe Stormjumper could take a look at it and see if his guide still applies. Have not seen him post lately. Will do a search later, gotta get back to work.

Thanks signls

I sent him a PM.

@ DREAMLINER
When you have two versions of DVDFab on your system and want to remove one, most liky you will have to reinstall ver 5 due to the fact uninstalling v4 will have also removed files used by v5.
The Clean unionstall guides are still good for v5

P.S…Would be best to uninstall both versions and do a fresh install of v5
:bigsmile:

[quote=StormJumper;2054786]@ DREAMLINER
When you have two versions of DVDFab on your system and want to remove one, most liky you will have to reinstall ver 5 due to the fact uninstalling v4 will have also removed files used by v5.
The Clean unionstall guides are still good for v5

P.S…Would be best to uninstall both versions and do a fresh install of v5
:bigsmile:[/quote]
I had 4 versions of Fab on my computer starting all the way back to V2. I reformatted my hdds yesterday and just installed the newly released V5.0.2.0 and its works fine. I just had to reset my settings. I already had the VSO burning engine installed because it is used by many other programs.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2054792]I had 4 versions of Fab on my computer starting all the way back to V2. I reformatted my hdds yesterday and just installed the newly released V5.0.2.0 and its works fine. I just had to reset my settings. I already had the VSO burning engine installed because it is used by many other programs.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about the reformat job :frowning: yes having more then one version installed is not bad, but since the OP said something about removing V4 …just had to add my .02 cents in :bigsmile:
have a nice day :flower:

I guess will just uninstall V4 and 5 using the DVD Fab uninstaller, then use Storm Jumpers directions to clean up the registry. That way I can have a fully clean re-install of V5. I am just not sure if the V4 clean & remove instruction from storm jumper applies to V5 as well or if there is an entire new registry to clean there as well.