Free tool blocks Windows 10 update and nag screens for Windows 7 and 8.1 users

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Free tool blocks Windows 10 update and nag screens for Windows 7 and 8.1 users[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/10/windows-10-reservation-install-95x75.png[/newsimage]

A new free tool blocks the automatic downloading of Windows 10 to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 computers. It also removes the popup asking users to update to Microsoft’s latest operating system.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/free-tool-blocks-windows-10-update-and-nag-screens-for-windows-7-and-8-1-users-77634/](http://www.myce.com/news/free-tool-blocks-windows-10-update-and-nag-screens-for-windows-7-and-8-1-users-77634/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Hmm… I already posted that Registry fix to stop the Nag and Stealth Win10 update already here:

Post #9

A new free tool blocks the automatic downloading of Windows 10 to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 computers. It also removes the popup asking users to update to Microsoft’s latest operating system.

I’ve given it out for free already…if it isn’t working - someone needs to tell me so I can look into it. But as I know of currently - my Windows 7 update doesn’t show the Windows 10 update or the windows nag in the task bar currently. I already bet them to the punch in blocking this update and Windows 10 Update…not sure where they been hiding.

What tool? Where’s the link :stuck_out_tongue:

Windows 10 is a superior OS to anything that predates it. Â jmho.

[QUOTE=Ch3vr0n;2762414]What tool? Where’s the link :p[/QUOTE]
If one didn’t follow the link I posted there is nothing else left one can do to help.

I was talking about in the article itself ;-), that said 2 registry files hardly qualify as a tool

[QUOTE=alan1476;2762418]Windows 10 is a superior OS to anything that predates it. jmho.[/QUOTE]
Could be but the upgrade stories I heard has come to stay otherwise as well. If they just stopped this Metro(tiles) and had the user customize their setup and bring back Aero - people wouldn’t worry but being MS they still want to shove it down our throats…

[QUOTE=alan1476;2762418]Windows 10 is a superior OS to anything that predates it. jmho.[/QUOTE] Nothing is superior if someone else is trying to force it down your throat against your will. :wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2762418]Windows 10 is a superior OS to anything that predates it. jmho.[/QUOTE]
Not if you got nailed by the Windows Update that update to Windows 10 without you even knowing about it.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2762431]Nothing is superior if someone else is trying to force it down your throat against your will. ;)[/QUOTE]
But as DrageMester says is also true but when Win10 was a forced Windows Update to 7/8.1 O/S against the users that tells me they didn’t listen at all. And alot of users had problems because it was forced on them but MS didn’t pay to fix the problem they caused. Alot of Win7/8.1 users that might’ve wanted to go Win10 are now lost because of it and that in itself is evidence enough MS hasn’t learned. Why else would people be asking for Registry edit to kill the Windows Update Windows 10 2.1gig update and to kill the Win10 nag. These two Registy edits wouldn’t come about if MS actually listened.

[QUOTE=Ch3vr0n;2762422]I was talking about in the article itself ;-), that said 2 registry files hardly qualify as a tool[/QUOTE]
One should make it clear as to what they are referring to - cause just from the reading is misleading as to what response is to? To me that is what it sounded like. Registry edits are a tool as well so not sure where one figures it wasn’t a tool but it is a tool regardless of what one may think.

I agree you shouldn’t be forced to upgrade your OS.  That being said I tried out win10 on my laptop for a while and I liked it enough to upgrade my main PC.   I’m not sure I would of ever paid to make the upgrade (win10 doesn’t really seem all that different than win 7).  Can’t argue with free.

Since I can’t seem to find the link to the tool Domi is talking about, here is another one called GWX Control Panel:

ZDNet Article
Download page.

As Kerry suggested, I also recommend the GFX Control Panel. I’ve used it on a couple of Windows 7 machines and it has been completely effective and super easy to use.

Everyone is entitled to their GWX but mine didn’t require a exe to run. And the Windows 10 task nagger is gone.

I’d love Aero on MS Windows 10 as it would be more appealing visually to upgrade… I recently used GFX Control Panel but it still had not removed some of the other MS patches used to spy such as the telemetry data services MS Installs and receives data from.

List of KB’s safe for removal:

KB2876229 SKYPE, If you want Skype then install it.KB2923545 RDPKB2970228KB3035583KB2990214KB3021917KB3068708 TelemetryKB2592687KB2660075KB2506928KB2952664 x2KB3050265KB2726535KB2994023KB3022345 Replaced by KB3068708 TelemetryKB3022345 Caused false sfc resultKB2545698 (IE9)KB3065987

I should also mention I am on Windows 7 Pro and was able to uninstall and hide these updates in Windows Update.

Even when you hide the kb3035583 it comes back, I have hidden it several times and it came back.

Also on Windows 7 Ultimate and Pro

[QUOTE=bean55;2762622]Even when you hide the kb3035583 it comes back, I have hidden it several times and it came back.

Also on Windows 7 Ultimate and Pro[/QUOTE]
Looks like user will keep fighting rather the using a simple Registry edit to stop it from loading even thought it updates. The disable GWX and disable Window10 update stops those Nags from showing up in the Windows Update and Taskbar locations.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2762431]Nothing is superior if someone else is trying to force it down your throat against your will. ;)[/QUOTE]Sometimes people don’t know what best for them, and others that have more knowledge have to make those decisions for them.I admit this new OS still has some small bugs to be worked out, but all in all this is a big step in the right direction, and if you do not want it, just don’t install it. For me, after using it for just a few months I could never go back to Windows 7, for the people that cant get used to newer and better technology’s, times will be harder and you, you will not get the most out of the internet experience, now this is just my personal opinion, if you want to stick with XP or Vista or W7, thats fine but don’t complain when your apps are not performing at optimum standards. Its a shame that when someone gets used to something, change is bad thing. Its time to move on, or be left in the dust.:iagree:

I have [U]no apps[/U],so I don’t need Windows 10 for that

I do have stuff that [U]will not run[/U] on Windows 10

I do have 1 machine with Windows 10 on it. I have found nothing special about it yet for my purposes.