Free Software to Rip and Burn Dual/Double Layer DVDs?

vbimport

I just discovered that the DVD-RW drive in my hand-me-down computer may be capable of burning dual/double layer DVDs. (The drive is a NEC ND-3550A Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer).

Up to now I’ve been backing up my DVDs to single layer DVD-Rs, and that has meant that sometimes I’ve had to split a movie into two parts.

I’ve been using DVDShrink 3.2 to make the back-ups. I seem to recall that I had to link DVDShrink to a burning program. I can’t remember which one . I think it may be IMGBurn 2.5, but I can’t figure out how to tell which program DVDShrink uses to burn its back-ups.

When I back up my movies I only back up the movie itself, leaving out all the menus, extras, warnings, disclaimers and even the lead-in company logos if they are annoying.

So, now that think I have the capability to put those two part movies onto a single disc, I’d like to take a stab at it.

Is the software I’m now using capable of burning dual layer DVDs?

If so I’d appreciate a referral to a “How to” article.

If not, then I’d be grateful for suggestions. I’m a disabled senior on a small fixed-income so I’d prefer free software if its available

If DVDshrink meets your decrypting needs then just rip to an iso and then use Imgburn to burn that same iso. Only use Verbatim DL media. Newer movies may have encryption that Shrink can’t handle and you will need a more up to date decrypter like DVDFab which has a 30 day free trial.

Actually, DVDFab’s free section (DVDFab HD Decrypter) will continue to function as a decryption/ripping program, so you don’t have to worry about the expiration of the trial.

If you want to burn the movie ripped by DVDFab without compression to a double layer disk, ImgBurn can do this easily in Build Mode.

And of course, Whappo’s advice about Shrink is perfectly correct. If it can decrypt the dvd successfully, it can also output as an ISO, which ImgBurn can use to burn to a DL disk.

If you have the dvd decrypted in full size on the hard drive, here is a guide for burning to a DL dvd using ImgBurn: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1777 Or this one if you prefer: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4643

If you have the dvd decrypted on the hard drive as an ISO, here is the guide for burning with ImgBurn: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

The most important thing to remember is to use Verbatim brand double layer disks. Do not substitute anything else. With your older model NEC burner, I would use the 2.4-6x variety rather than the 8x Verbatim DL disks (though the 8x would probably work). Burn them at 4x speed.

You guys are great!

Thanks for that clear, concise info!

The Verbatim DVD DL discs seem to be available only as +Rs.

I’m asking because on the advice the gal who got me started burning DVDs I’ve been in the habit of using DVD-Rs for my movie back-ups.

I don’t know what the difference is between a +R and a -R disc so I want to make sure I order the right type.

There are such things as -R dual layer disks, but we don’t really recommend them.
Get the Verbatim +R DL disks and you should be fine.

Well, it’s only been a year since I posted this query, and a few days ago I finally got around to trying to burn a dual-layer DVD on my old second-hand PC. (Getting old is hell, the years fly by me now the way the days used to when I was a kid).

I’ll be danged if the test burn didn’t seem to work just fine! Thanks guys!

I put the burned DVD+R into my old DVD player and scanned through it using the remote control buttons to jump through the chapters and menus and they all played just fine.

But I didn’t actually watch the movie straight through. It’s one of my favorite films. I don’t know about you, but I like to save my favorite films for special times. I feel like forcing myself to sit down and watch it to look for technical problems in the burn might spoil my future enjoyment of watching the movie.

But I would like to at least be able to check to see if the transition between the two layers is smooth on my burned back up.

Is there a way to find that transition point and watch it?

Normally the layer break will be very close to the 50% mark in the movie. If you know the movie is 100 minutes, you go to the 50 minute mark and watch from there. (Edit: This is a bit rough, but should work if you are not including anything except the main movie. Extras will complicate this approximation.)

The first layer of the double layer disk will always contain slightly more data than the second layer. They are called Layer 0 and Layer 1 confusingly enough.

Load your burned DL disk into your drive and start up ImgBurn. Click on Discovery mode. On the right side of the window in ImgBurn, you’ll see a scroll screen. Scroll it down till very near the end of the information and you’ll see this:
Layer Information
Layer 0 Sectors
Layer 1 Sectors

Next to the Layer 0 and Layer 1 Sector lines will be the number of sectors, usually something like 1,888,000 and a percentage. This tells you where the layer break was placed. On the disk I’m looking at, it says Layer 0 has 50.37% of the data, and Layer 1 has 49.6%.

[QUOTE=Clueless in Seattle;2625934]But I would like to at least be able to check to see if the transition between the two layers is smooth on my burned back up.

Is there a way to find that transition point and watch it?[/QUOTE]

Or even better choose one that works before you burn the disc.

Check out the layer break guide in my signature for details.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Finally been trying to burn DualLayer DVD’s, not working yet, but these posts will most likely help - I was trying to use Memorex disks, 'cuz that’s all my local store had, but I will go further and find some Verbatim ones.
I will also get a hold of DVDFab and IMGBURN
Many thanks, Bob T.

[QUOTE=turnbub;2626579]Finally been trying to burn DualLayer DVD’s, not working yet, but these posts will most likely help - I was trying to use Memorex disks, 'cuz that’s all my local store had, but I will go further and find some Verbatim ones.
I will also get a hold of DVDFab and IMGBURN
Many thanks, Bob T.[/QUOTE]

With regard to the burning side of things ImgBurn really can’t be beaten IMHO.

If there’s a problem with a burn and you’ve used ImgBurn you can be pretty much 100% certain that it’s not down to the software side of things.

It really is incredibly reliable.

[B]Wombler[/B]

kudos for ImgBurn!

I did get some VERBATIM DVD’s - thank you guys! My newest drive is a LiteON iHAS524, I write on it, reading from a LiteON iHAS324 … all together it worked like a charm.
For dual layers I have been using a program I picked up called “LONGO.” Ya gotta buy it after the free trial period, and I just might do that - it is easy to use for an old guy like me.
However, I do have IMGBURN, so one of these days I will try it with dual layer, taking the time to understand it.

[QUOTE=turnbub;2647945]I did get some VERBATIM DVD’s - thank you guys! My newest drive is a LiteON iHAS524, I write on it, reading from a LiteON iHAS324 … all together it worked like a charm.
For dual layers I have been using a program I picked up called “LONGO.” Ya gotta buy it after the free trial period, and I just might do that - it is easy to use for an old guy like me.
However, I do have IMGBURN, so one of these days I will try it with dual layer, taking the time to understand it.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t trust buying a software that doesn’t tell where it is located or made from. And could possibly have been crippled if it is made in the US. Also there isn’t alot of reviews about it to recommend it for anyone expect the person saying it works so far…

Yeah, don’t buy nothing, just use ImgBurn.
There are tutorials and guides on it so learning how to use it shouldn’t be a problem.
Really quite simple to use anyway, check out their website.

Thanks again, I will take the advice.

ImgBurn is fantastic. I do like Nero Burning ROM also for that.

In past I have used DVD Shrink to rip and create ISO and ImgBurn to burn, or Nero.

For disk DVD Shrink cannot rip, I used DVDFab to rip, DVD Shrink to process, then burn with ImgBurn / Nero