Free Software for DVD editing and burning

vbimport

Anybody does know in fact any software to burn films in dvds to be played in most dvd players? There must be several, however I NEED ONE WITH WHICH I MAY INSERT .srt SUBTITLES before the burning. I have windows vista home premium and my dvd player is PAL…

Use DVDFab to rip, DVDSubedit to process the sub-titles, DVDShrink to compress (if required) then ImgBurn to burn to DVD.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2551546]Use DVDFab to rip, DVDSubedit to process the sub-titles, DVDShrink to compress (if required) then ImgBurn to burn to DVD.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]Thx, however, for a start, the DVDFab is not free, Iasked for free software… Perhaps there’s none?

DVDFab has a free section, called DVDFab HD Decrypter. It will continue to function as a decryption/ripping program for you even after the trial for the main part of DVDFab has expired. The only caveat is that it will lag behind the commercial version on updates by 6 to 8 weeks.

DVDFab HD Decrypter is the best free choice for modern films that contain structural protection. If the dvds only have simple CSS encryption, as many do, then DVDShrink or DVDDecrypter will work for those.

Thank you for your efforts, but it remains quite a labyrinth. As far as I can see there’s not any single free software to add/insert .srt file of subtitles to a film and then burn it in a dvd playable in all (or most) dvd players :sad:

What’s wrong with using DVDSubEdit after ripping the movie to the hard drive with one of the decryption programs we’ve mentioned?

If you want to use free tools, you’ll have to get used to the idea of using specific tools for specific tasks…one after the other. The ones Wombler listed should work just fine.

[QUOTE=thesea1965;2551547]Thx, however, for a start, the DVDFab is not free, Iasked for free software… Perhaps there’s none?[/QUOTE]

As stated by other members DVDFab has a free version, however when you first install it there is a 30 day day trial which is fully functional with the various modes e.g Full disc, Main movie, Customize, Split, Custom Split, Merak and Write Data.

After the 30 day trial has expired the free version continues to function, however it will only have the ripper functionality and only rips to the hard drive.

If you are looking for a [B]all-in-one software[/B] thats free then all have to say is good luck in your search, all free software listed by others are very good and at your preferred price range.

[B]SJ[/B]

Yes, I managed to convert and burn! However, how can I insert a .srt file of subtitles? Possible with DVDFab?

As already pointed out several times, there are specific tools/apps/proggies, that you may need to use for the task(s)…
Try this, install Vob2mpg…Use it to extract the video from your DVD…This will result in a single .mpg file…Import this new .mpg file in DVDFlick or AVStoDVD and also include the .srt file…Create/author/burn a new DVD…Done!..
There are other methods but, from what I can tell, seems like you don’t want to try and install more proggies to git-er-done, and instead are looking for the 'perfect All-in-one solution…
Do let us know, when you’ve found it…

[QUOTE=thesea1965;2552097]Yes, I managed to convert and burn! However, how can I insert a .srt file of subtitles? Possible with DVDFab?[/QUOTE]

There is a facilty for DVDFab to add external subtitles which as far as I’m aware relates only to the various mobile formats and not when producing normal DVD Video discs.

In any case the free version of DVDFab (DVDFab HD Decrypter) can only rip.

There are various programs that will let you work directly with SRT files but the problem is that there are different varieties and it’s a non-standard format.

They’ll work fine with the program that created them but when you open them in another program there are always potential compliance issues in relation to non-alphanumeric characters (quotation marks etc.).

So I’m afraid you might have to experiment a bit with different packages.

Try the method suggested by t0nee1 first and see how you get on.

[B]Wombler[/B]