Free Recorder Software to make WAV files?

vbimport

Is there a free Windows recorder program, that doesn’t contain malware, that will record a WAV file of anything I play through my sound card?

What I’d like to do is make audio recordings of soundtrack music from my DVDs of movies and TV shows, so I don’t have to play the DVD each time I want to hear the music.

The reason I want WAV files is so that I can edit the recordings to add fade ins and fade outs, and edit out segments with distracting dialogue or sound effects.

deleted Kerry got it

I had a couple of tools listed, but after trying PGCDemux a few times, it isn’t as foolproof as I’d like. I’ll list a couple of ways to demux the audio and convert here in a minute.

Ok, the old fashioned way will work if nothing else will. Get DVDFab Passkey (which is still free to use while in beta) to break encryption on any modern commercial dvds you’d like to work with. http://www.dvdfab.com/en/passkey.htm Let it run in the background.

Also get DVDDecrypter, http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD_Decrypter the old standby for working with dvds. You can remove the audio stream that you want by using DVDDecrypter in IFO mode.

Start Passkey, then put the dvd in the drive. When you start up DVDDecrypter, go to Tools–>Settings, then remove the check in the box that says [I]Check for Structure Protection[/I]. Then click on Ok. You only have to do this once.

In the main window of DVDDecrypter, Click on Mode, then set it to IFO Mode. The main window will change to IFO mode and you will see a window on the right with two tabs. Click on the Stream Processing tab, then put a check mark in the box that says Enable Stream Processing. You will see a list of all the video, audio and subtitle streams. Leave a check mark next to the audio stream you want, but not in anything else.

Now at the bottom of the window you’ll see three options. Here you select Demux. Keep the audio stream you want highlighted. Click on the disk-to-hard drive icon on the left to start the process. The output will be a .vob file, but it will only have the audio in it. The vast majority of audio files in dvds sold in the US will have ac3 audio, and if that is what you started with, you can safely change the file name with an .ac3 extension. [I] Edit: Wrong…if you use Demux and highlight the audio file it will come out as an ac3 file so disregard this.
[/I]

The next program is HeadAC3he. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/HeadAC3he This one is fairly simple. Just import the ac3 file, designate a spot to put the new .wav file and let it work. If you want to change from 48khz to 44.1khz you can do that with this program too, but it is not necessary unless you eventually want to go to cd audio. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/HeadAC3he

Now, why should you go through all this? Believe it or not, it is faster than recording the dvd as it plays. It will also keep from degrading the audio in any way.

Edited a few incorrect things in here. :frowning:

I use Total Recorder to record what my sound card is playing. It works quite well. I’m not sure if it outputs to WAV or not. I always use it to create MP3. No complicated de-muxing required.

RM

Whew!

Thanks, Kerry56, for taking the time to write that detailed and easy to follow tutorial!

I can’t wait to give it a try.

Will this work for the music that’s played as background for the DVD menus too?

[QUOTE=Clueless in Seattle;2536836]Is there a free Windows recorder program, that doesn’t contain malware, that will record a WAV file of anything I play through my sound card? [/quote]Audacity should do the job. This depends a little from the drivers of your soundcard, if you are able to select “what you hear” or “stereomix” as recording input, then you are fine.
The only relieable source is here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Michael

[QUOTE=Clueless in Seattle;2536955]Whew!

Thanks, Kerry56, for taking the time to write that detailed and easy to follow tutorial!

I can’t wait to give it a try.

Will this work for the music that’s played as background for the DVD menus too?[/QUOTE]

It might be difficult to determine which audio stream is used for the menus. Not sure if that will show up in Decrypter’s list or not.

You can always capture that part with Audacity as mciahel suggests.

Hi Clueless ,
I have some suggestions & options. All I will use is freeware except for a mention of AnyDVD.
The method Kerry56 posted will work well .
DVDFab’s Passkey in in beta & is free for now but will eventually be paidware .When it does I expect it to be comparible in price to AnyDVD. Either of these will work if you are trying to use DVDDecrypter as in Kerry56’s post #4.
As long as you can use the decrypters that method will work.
Instead of changing the name on the .vob from DVDDecrypter to .ac3 & using HeadAC3he . I would use a correctly setup BeSweet with it’s BeLight GUI to convert directly to .wav.
If there is a time when you can’t use Passkey because it is no longer freeware. BeSweet/BeLight can extract .wav’s from the .vobs on a commercial encrypted DVD. At least it did on the two of mine I tested it on. The drawback is it can only do one .vob at a time so you end up with a .wav file for each .vob. These .wavs can be joined or combined with various free software. The easiest one is FormatFactory. I like EAC for this & Audacity can do it but is a bit cumbersome.
Here is some information on BeSweet/BeLight that I posted in this topic:
http://club.myce.com/f34/poweriso-309012/
It was for .mp3 but the links for getting it & using it with .wav files can be applied.

Make sure and backspace the highlighted log file as shown in the image below when using .vob directly from a commercial DVD or a finalized writableDVD.

mciahel is correct Audacity can be used this way but it would be slow & done in real time.
@Kerry56 & Clueless in Seattle , The menu .vob usually VTS_01_0.vob doesn’t display in DVDDecrypter. BeSweet/BeLight is able to extract it directly from the DVD disc.
Of course if you rip the disc with DVDFab free to the harddrive .Then all will be decrypted too. BeSweet/BeLight will work with the .vobs that way too.
FormatFactory will also work this way to do the conversion.
BTW HeadAC3he didn’t work for me on the .ac3 file. I guess the HeadAC3he I already have could be corrupted.

@cholla
I’m not sure Besweet+BeLight would recognize a vob file with just an audio stream within. Only way to tell would be to test it.

HeadAC3he works fine for me. I’ve tested it three times now with no glitches. A 147,000kb ac3 file turns into a 1, 117,000kb wav file using it though, so Clueless should be prepared for the extra space it takes.

@Kerry56 , Besweet+BeLight did the conversion to .wav from the DVDDecrypter vob file with just an audio stream within.
Here are the text files from media info:
This is the DVDDecrypter .vob with audio only:
General #0
Complete name : K:\PATHFINDER\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.vob
Format : MPEG-2 Program
Format/Family : MPEG-2
File size : 373 MiB
PlayTime : 1h 47mn
Bit rate : 486 Kbps

Audio #0
Codec : AC3
Bit rate mode : CBR
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Menu #0
Codec : DVD-Video

This is the.wav from the.vob above with Besweet+BeLight :

General #0
Complete name : C:\Video\VTS_01_1.wav
Format : Wave
Format/Family : RIFF
File size : 1.06 GiB
Bit rate : 1411.2 Kbps

Audio #0
Codec : PCM
Codec/Family : PCM
Codec/Info : Microsoft PCM
Bit rate : 1411.2 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits

I downloaded a fresh copy of HeadAC3he form the link you posted.
This is the error message from HeadAC3he when trying to convert the DVDDecrypter created .vob renamed .ac3 :

I will either try again with the same movie or try a different one & post the results .

[QUOTE=RichMan;2536882]I use Total Recorder to record what my sound card is playing. It works quite well. I’m not sure if it outputs to WAV or not. I always use it to create MP3. No complicated de-muxing required.

RM[/QUOTE]

Thanks RichMan!

I just looked up Total Recorder, and it does say that it can produce WAV files. But, apparently the free version inserts an “Audible noise every 60 seconds.” :frowning:

@cholla
I tried another movie…The Prisoner of Azkaban and HeadAC3he gave me the same error you saw. So it isn’t your setup. The program just isn’t 100% reliable and finds errors in the demuxed ac3 file.

Sorry about that Will. I overlooked the ‘free’ part of your original post. However, I do think that Audacity is free. I’ve not used it yet though.

RM

Format Factory and Super are programs which will allow you to save the soundtracks as WAV, and then you can use Audacity to edit them in whatever way you want.

EDIT: all are free

Another addendum. VLC media player can convert the files with no problems. It will take the ac3 audio, even in the .vob files straight from DVDDecrypter, so there is no need to rename them if using VLC.

Clueless, you can substitute VLC for HeadAC3he in this and have no problems I think. www.videolan.org

To convert with VLC go to the main window and click Media–>Convert/Save. This will bring up a small pop-up window where you can add the .vob file from DVDDecrypter, then at the bottom of this little window there is a drop down box. Click on the down arrow, then Convert. This brings up a second pop up window where you set your output and change the conversion type to Audio CD. You can adjust the conversion properties by clicking the little crossed wrenches icon on the right if you wish, or just start the conversion by clicking Start.

Default settings there are 44.1khz, 2 channel, but as I said, this can be adjusted.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2537012]@cholla

I tried another movie…The Prisoner of Azkaban and HeadAC3he gave me the same error you saw. So it isn’t your setup. The program just isn’t 100% reliable and finds errors in the demuxed ac3 file.[/QUOTE]

Good to know it’s not my setup. I didn’t really think it was.

I also tried another movie with the same results.
I know VLC plays the .vob with the ac3 audio only created with DVDDecrypter fine.
It’s been several versions of VLC back since I used it to conver anything I will have to give it a try . It didn’t do very well back then on conversions for me anyway.
It’s always been mt goto player though.

I was never a fan of the VLC conversion section either. Just poking around for free alternatives.

After a few more experiments, it seems VLC does a fine job when converting multichannel ac3 to 2 channel wav. But if you set it to multichannel wav output, it will produce severely truncated files. :eek: :eek:

BeSweet and BeLight let me import the .vob file only after putting in an addin file called VobInput.dll. Tried experimenting with outputs. 2 channel seems to work fine, but going from 6 channel ac3 to 5.1 16bit WAV produces a truncated file like VLC, though not nearly as much was cut off the end.

Looking at 16 bit 6 Mono Wave output now.
Edit: Yes that seems to work, but what a horrible pain in the butt to work with for most purposes. If you need to isolate certain sounds this would be great I suppose.

@Kerry56 , The link in my post #9 to another club.myce topic .In that topic in post #20 there is a link for a download of the VobInput.dll . The second link it post #20 has downloads for the other files that need to be added to the BeSweet folder.
In post #22 I posted this;

[QUOTE=cholla;2498052]
First create a folder on your C:drive named BeSweet.
Extract the BeSweetv1.5b31.zip , BeLight-0.21.zip , VOBInput.zip , & bsn_20070513.zip into the BeSweet folder.
Some contents of the individual folders the extracting will create all need to be copied into the BeSweet folder.You can then delete the individual folders.
BeLight-0.21 folder copy all contents to the BeSweet folder.
VOBInput folder copy VOBInput.dll to the BeSweet folder.
The bsn_20070513.zip will extract to a bsn folder with a Release folder.Copy bsn.dll from the Release folder to the BeSweet folder.This will replace the older bsn.dll already in the BeSweet folder . [/QUOTE]
I also have added some other files & I need to track down where so I can post those too.
I haven’t worked any with the 6 channel .ac3 or the 5.1 16 bit .wav . I need to see how well they work or not . The conversion to .ac3 with BeSweet is said to have some problems .I have mostly used it to convert a .vob to 2 channel .mp3 or .wav. For those BeSweet works well. IMO it does about the best job on a .2 channel .wav of anything I’ve used.
So over the next week I will do some testing.