Free programs like any dvd

hey guys
is their any free programs out their that are free and like anydvd
i tried a few and they seem to be all crappy

The basic answer is no.
For copying movie DVDs’ DVDFab will do the same job if that’s what you are after in a software.

[QUOTE=cholla;2413175]The basic answer is no.
For copying movie DVDs’ DVDFab will do the same job if that’s what you are after in a software.[/QUOTE]

Actually your answer is partly right…they should get DVDfab HD which is free but your limited to using only DL media to burn to if the source is DL but if it is SL then you just use SL media. So that free version is near to what Anydvd does but one thing Anydvd only decrypts and rips the movie if you want a 1:1 copy you have to use another software with Anydvd to back the dvd properly. Dvdfab HD on the other hand will do both but as stated is limited to using DL for DL and SL for SL. It’s free but with limitation set forth.

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

@coolcolors;I haven’t tested it for a while but the free version of DVDFab HD doesn’t burn or it didn’t used to.
After the trial DVDFab HD rips to DVD9 then has to be compressed to SL with DVDShrink if SL is what is wanted.
AnyDVD also only rips to DVD9 .
Both decrypt.
What makes AnyDVD different from everything else is it decrypts independently & can be used with other software as their decrypter.Even some that warn you if it’s running.
It also prevents autorun or other problems with CD’s.Like the infamous Sony rootkit ones.
I try to remember to run AnyDVD anytime I load any comercial DVD or CD.

[QUOTE=cholla;2413486]@coolcolors;I haven’t tested it for a while but the free version of DVDFab HD doesn’t burn or it didn’t used to.
After the trial DVDFab HD rips to DVD9 then has to be compressed to SL with DVDShrink if SL is what is wanted.
AnyDVD also only rips to DVD9 .
Both decrypt.
What makes AnyDVD different from everything else is it decrypts independently & can be used with other software as their decrypter.Even some that warn you if it’s running.
It also prevents autorun or other problems with CD’s.Like the infamous Sony rootkit ones.
I try to remember to run AnyDVD anytime I load any comercial DVD or CD.[/QUOTE]

I think your getting the your software confused there is a free version with limited function and burning and a paid version with more functions. Maybe if you followed the link provide you will see the difference. There are some software including dvdfab HD or dvdfab Plat that can’t and won’t work with Anydvd and Imgburn that as well won’t work properly with AnyDVD as well. Any software that gives you a warning that it doesn’t work correctly shouldn’t be used together as you don’t know what problems it created for what your trying to do. I think most people already know too much about that rootkit and plus the programmers at Slysoft are more knowledged about this malicious program from Sony and others.

deleted:

[QUOTE=cholla;2413486]What makes AnyDVD different from everything else is it decrypts independently & can be used with other software as their decrypter.[/QUOTE]

DVD43 operates similarly to AnyDVD and is free.

As far as I know it’s the only other program of this type out there though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Good to know Wombler.I have AnyDVD so I probably won’t need DVD43 but it’s good there is a free similar alternative.
coolcolors;The OP wanted something free .So I don’t beleive I’m confused.
I was only posting about the free version.
I’ve been to the DVDFab site many times.To update the free version of DVDFab HD Decrypter .That’s the one I have since I have already used the trial period.
I don’t have & have never tried the Free DVD program from DVDfab’s site.So I don’t know it’s capabilities.
So correct me if I’m wrong about this .
Does DVDFab HD Decrypter burn DVD’s after the trial period if you don’t buy it ?
I say it doesn’t.It will only rip DVD’s after the trial period.
Also I don’t use AnyDVD with DVDFab HD Decrypter .That would be redundent.
I have ocassionally used it with ImgBurn & DVDShrink.
The only warning ImgBurn gives is :
" AnyDVD can interfere with ImgBurn’s ability to verify accurately, please ensure it’s disabled! " So If I’m not using verify there should be no problem.
I have no doubt the programmers at Slysoft are knowledged about many things.
I just use AnyDVD for extra safety in this way.
I forgot to do this about a month ago & had to get rid of a Sony " context menu handler ".

MHO…There is no software like (as good at doing what it does) as ANY DVD. That is why I purchased it years ago. Dvd Fab at that time would not decrypt a new movie I had, so I tried Any DVD and it worked while DVD shrink was Shrinking the Movie Only. I never put a new DVD in a player except once to copy it.I wanted to watch the new movie and DVD Fab let me down and was about four days before they had it fixed. One day when I die my wife can sell all my Like New in Box dvds for $5 to $7 each.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2415308]DVD43 operates similarly to AnyDVD and is free.

As far as I know it’s the only other program of this type out there though.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

But I don’t think it is in the same league as AnyDVD. Otherwise more people would use it and I doubt the effectiviness of DVD43 compared to AnyDVD any day or night. Now for free I would choose DVDfab HD that would be more worth the word “free”. I haven’t had seen many people tout highly of dvd43. So I would not recommend that software for anyone the one I would say would best fit their needs is dvdfab HD.

[QUOTE=cholla;2415457]Good to know Wombler.I have AnyDVD so I probably won’t need DVD43 but it’s good there is a free similar alternative.
coolcolors;The OP wanted something free .So I don’t beleive I’m confused.
I was only posting about the free version.
I’ve been to the DVDFab site many times.To update the free version of DVDFab HD Decrypter .That’s the one I have since I have already used the trial period.
I don’t have & have never tried the Free DVD program from DVDfab’s site.So I don’t know it’s capabilities.
So correct me if I’m wrong about this .
Does DVDFab HD Decrypter burn DVD’s after the trial period if you don’t buy it ?
I say it doesn’t.It will only rip DVD’s after the trial period.
Also I don’t use AnyDVD with DVDFab HD Decrypter .That would be redundent.
I have ocassionally used it with ImgBurn & DVDShrink.
The only warning ImgBurn gives is :
" AnyDVD can interfere with ImgBurn’s ability to verify accurately, please ensure it’s disabled! " So If I’m not using verify there should be no problem.
I have no doubt the programmers at Slysoft are knowledged about many things.
I just use AnyDVD for extra safety in this way.
I forgot to do this about a month ago & had to get rid of a Sony " context menu handler ".[/QUOTE]

No worries cholla.

AnyDVD is a superb piece of software and has a lot more features.

[B]Wombler[/B]

All DVD43 does is circumvent CSS, I may be wrong but it was my believe that its not even in the same class as AnyDVD, not even close.:wink:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2415557]But I don’t think it is in the same league as AnyDVD. Otherwise more people would use it and I doubt the effectiviness of DVD43 compared to AnyDVD any day or night. Now for free I would choose DVDfab HD that would be more worth the word “free”. I haven’t had seen many people tout highly of dvd43. So I would not recommend that software for anyone the one I would say would best fit their needs is dvdfab HD.[/QUOTE]

I wasn’t actually commenting on the relative merits of the two programs.

The question was is there any free software that operates similarly to AnyDVD and the answer is yes, DVD43, which BTW is relatively well known.

It was popular some time ago then fell out of favour following a very long period during which it wasn’t updated.

The author is now back developing it again and has been for several months now but most users probably don’t realise this is the case and as a result it tends to get overlooked.

From what I understand it performs reasonably well but it’s down to the OP now to assess whether or not it meets their needs.

It’s their only free option though as far as I’m aware.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=alan1476;2415924]All DVD43 does is circumvent CSS, I may be wrong but it was my believe that its not even in the same class as AnyDVD, not even close.;)[/QUOTE]

The changelog seems to suggest that recent updates allow it to circumvent the latest structural protections as well and it certainly does arccos but TBH I don’t use the program myself as I prefer stand alone ripping software.

Worth a try for the OP though I suppose.

[B]Wombler[/B]