Free OS System

vbimport

I’m looking for a good OS for an older computer that is equivalent to xp home. It is used for internet mainly. The user is very green to computers. Which will give him little trouble but can surf the web? I can install and fix any troubles but it is in another city and office so the less I need to help him would be better.

Linux Other OS not free

PCLinuxOS! great system, very easy, lots of support.

Can you give us any specs for the old computer? Cpu, ram, hard drive size, how will it connect to the internet (modem, wired or wireless lan) is there a printer? Although Linux is your best option there are many variations. Knowing a little about the pc could help determine which one would be best for your purposes. Also, to install Linux you will need to be able to boot from the CD drive, meaning the bios must support that option. Some older bios do not.

The thing to do is to find a friend/relative/aquaintance that has either switched from a PC to a MAC OR has (stupidly) upgraded
to XP and thus HAS XP (with the OEM install disc and serial number)
BUT who no longer uses it.

Microsoft might believe and claim that you don’t “own” the software
and thus cannot discontinue using it and selling it as a "used item"
but the Supreme Court of the US disagrees with that position…

Of course if you are in Canada or Europe or some other part of the english speaking world you are operating with different rules.

As the saying goes “YMMV”

I can say that my personal idea of "torture"
is to make someone surf ebay with a Win98 OS computer…
Then deny them rope, sleeping pills or razor blades.

AD

Hi,[quote=zetecpower;2172367]I’m looking for a good OS for an older computer that is equivalent to xp home. It is used for internet mainly. The user is very green to computers. Which will give him little trouble but can surf the web? I can install and fix any troubles but it is in another city and office so the less I need to help him would be better.[/quote]I installed Ubuntu Linux on an older computer (PIII/667 MHz) for a friend, who is totally computer novice. He is very happy with that - he can surf the web, write e-mails and letters, and I have never heard any complaint :slight_smile:

It is really easier to give a computer novice some Linux distro than to people that are used to Windows. In that case, the latter should buy their copy of Windows. I am without mercy there :slight_smile:

Michael

http://vixta.sourceforge.net/
Vixta (aka Simplis) aims to bring a Vista-ish frontend to Linux - main criticism is that this is mostly done as Live CD/DVD and often built on a somewhat less than up to date Fedora core.

Can’t find at the moment, but I recall a couple of recent articles looking at Ubuntu as a possible replacement.

Using Wine allows some windows apps to be run, but not all.

As one of the Win vs Lin arguments goes, it is actually easier to introduce Linux to someone not rooted in recent Windows, well, no different to getting in touch with a current windows version if your old box was on 3.1.

Great replies. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with P1 336mz with 128mb memory a a 4gb HHD. I know…very old but still works great. It was running windows 98SE but was having issues with wireless highspeed and surfing the net was terrible. I " Temporarily" put a copy of XP Home on it to see it it could handle it and it works great, I’m surprised, but my serial number is not being accepted on the net. Not surprised. So I’d rather go to a free OS system. He will not be using Office products, games etc. It is just an internet pc but needs 128bit encryption able for internet banking. Plus I’d like to experiment with a new OS system.

I also have a computer with an AMD Athalon XP Delta Series(K7N2) that I use to hook up to my tv to watch movies and surf the net and use as a PVR. It has 1gig memory, 100GB HDD, TV IN/Out 64mb video card. I have the same issue with the Windows XP OS and the serial #. What can I use that will be able to use the same DVD/AVI software I do now on XP?

It sounds like Ubantu is the way to go? Linux sounds good but you must purchase it like XP.

Thanks Everyone

[QUOTE=zetecpower;2172975]Great replies. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with P1 336mz with 128mb memory a a 4gb HHD.
[/QUOTE]
On this machine I would definitely go with a lightweight* linux distro such as Puppy Linux which is designed with older machines in mind.
It is unbelievable how capable this little distro is and it is very friendly to the wayward Windows refugee :iagree:
Most of it loads in RAM so it is very fast.
Becauase of its small size the initial ISO download is more reasonable with slower internet connections.
http://www.puppylinux.org/

*lightweight:
Small resource footprint

[QUOTE=jflan;2172996]On this machine I would definitely go with a lightweight* linux distro such as Puppy Linux which is designed with older machines in mind.
It is unbelievable how capable this little distro is and it is very friendly to the wayward Windows refugee :iagree:
Most of it loads in RAM so it is very fast.
Becauase of its small size the initial ISO download is more reasonable with slower internet connections.
http://www.puppylinux.org/

*lightweight:
Small resource footprint[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. After seeing the system specs, you should look for something lightweight like puppy linux, vector linux, damn small linux, etc. The laptop should run at acceptably fast speeds with something like that on it and a lightweight window manager. Ubuntu – probably not so much. ; )

Hi,[quote=zetecpower;2172975]
It sounds like Ubantu is the way to go?[/quote]for the older computer another distro like puppy is the better choice.

Linux sounds good but you must purchase it like XP.
Huh? :disagree: You can download the install disc .iso image [I]for free[/I] from the official website of the distribution.

Admitted, there are some distributions that are not available for free, since they contain commercially licensed software. Also, some - normally free - distributions are sold and come with a real book, the install disc and perhaps additional goodies in a more or less colourful box.

Michael

[QUOTE=zetecpower;2172975]Great replies. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with P1 336mz with 128mb memory a a 4gb HHD. I know…very old but still works great. [/QUOTE]

Welcome to CD Freaks

I assume you mean a PII clocked at 336MHz. Full versions of recent
Linux distributions will struggle on this machine. Take jflan’s advice and
go with a lightweight distribution.

[QUOTE=zetecpower;2172975]
It sounds like Ubantu is the way to go? Linux sounds good but you must purchase it like XP.

Thanks Everyone[/QUOTE]

Linux is free, or at least the Linux kernel (core part of OS) is free. Most
but not all Linux distributions are also free (as in free beer).

http://distrowatch.com/

Have fun!

I would also recommend one of the lighter linux distros for that pc.
I have and old Panasonic Toughbook with similar specs (P2 300, 128MB, 6gig hard drive), and have tried a lot of different OS’s: XP, Ubuntu, Suse, Fedora, etc) but the small ones like Puppy or Vector seem to run the best. I went with Vector Lite simply because it comes with the Opera web browser (my favorite) as opposed to Firefox and I had some trouble getting Puppy to automatically find my internet connection on bootup and the desktop of Puppy is a little too busy for my taste (but you can easily clean it up). Also you mention wireless, you will want something with a linux kernel of 2.6 which has much better wireless support than older kernels (damn small linux uses 2.4). One other thing, I’m surprised that this Toshiba is able to boot from the cd drive, you’re lucky. You don’t have to pay for the majority of linux distos. Here’s a link to some of the most popular linux versions available all with download links.

http://distrowatch.com/

Excellent. Thanks all. I will try the puppy linux and reply back!

I didn’t get a reply about the AMD PC? Would it handle Ubuntu?

[quote=zetecpower;2173167]
I didn’t get a reply about the AMD PC? Would it handle Ubuntu?[/quote]Yes, it will. And since there is a good amount of RAM installed, you should have decent performance :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=zetecpower;2173167]Excellent. Thanks all. I will try the puppy linux and reply back!

I didn’t get a reply about the AMD PC? Would it handle Ubuntu?[/QUOTE]
Agree with Michael. Plenty of resources for a full-size distro.
Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop environment whereas Kubuntu, a variant of Ubuntu, uses the KDE desktop environment.
My favorite full-size distro is Kubuntu.

Puppy notes:

1. If possible I would try to add the maximum amount of memory to that old lappy.
  2. For a web browser, Puppy comes with a lightweight browser called Sea Monkey, from the Mozilla family of browsers.
    If preferred, it is easy to add Firefox or Opera (fast) by grabbing a .pet package from the Puppy repository. The D/L and install is very much like Windows if it is a .pet package.
    Post back here or on the official Puppy forum if you have questions.

Your best bet is to try some of the ‘Live CD’s’ that have the *nix install all on and running from a CD/DVD, that way you can see if you can run a larger *nix install. Linux is very un-windows like in that it needs much less hardware than the XP and later windows installs do.

Win2000 not included as it will run fine on what you have, I have a 466 MHz 388 MB box that runs all day long and many XP owners try it and think its got a 1.6~2.0 GHz cpu in it.

I have seen and used many full installs on much lower powered kit than above and things running fine with 32 MB and 66 MHz, that is why you want to give the live CDs a try first, no installing and you get to see what can pick up all of your hardware and save you the waste of install time to find something will not work with your kit quick and easy. The only problem being is that you have to download them, admittedly KDE seem to be doing their best to slow down and bloat up *nix but the less its used the better IMO.

Blackboxand a full Slackwareinstall would be fine with what you have, and that AMD pc could run any *nix install no problem.

As said Distrowatchis a good place to do some quick reading up and getting of the Iso’s.

If you really want to stay close to the windows world React OS might be what you are after
http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

http://www.linuxquestions.org/
http://www.freeos.com/
http://makethemove.net/

[QUOTE=Lenny_Nero;2174768]Your best bet is to try some of the ‘Live CD’s’ that have the *nix install all on and running from a CD/DVD[/QUOTE]
Er, um Puppy Linux LiveCD ?
In fact Puppy takes it one step further than most LiveCD’s, in that it loads its tiny self into RAM, allowing the user to [B]remove[/B] the LiveCD and use the optical drive for other purposes during the “trial”. Very tidy.
Using a [B]typical[/B] LiveCD will be slower than a true install because the OS has to access the optical drive during the trial session.

I dont know of any Live CD’s that cant be loaded into RAM, or at least onto the Hdd, most that I have seen tell you so in the loading bumph.

But just in case something like…
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Live_CD_distributions
can help.

A very nice and extremely light (live) distribution is Slax :slight_smile:

I tested it on a really old laptop and I was able to run also some windows software on it through WINE :iagree: