Free LightScribe software?

oh by the way… i too only joined so i could thnk Mr Belvedere even before trying it! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=kwashic;2597564]Silly Lightscribe patent-owning people![/QUOTE]

Have I missed something or does everyone who has replied to this thread in the last four years reside under a rock?

Even Lightscribe gives it away:
http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadsection/

So why would lightscribe care if someone else had it available?

What is “silly” is anyone thinking they’d have to pay for the software.

Lightscribe makes their money from royalties on the drives and discs

Come out from under your rocks!

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2597566]Have I missed something or does everyone who has replied to this thread in the last four years reside under a rock?[/QUOTE] Yes, between a rock and a hard place. :cool:

The SureThing 4SE software is no longer linked to from the LightScribe download section, and hasn’t been linked to while we have been living under our rock. There are links to other software on that site, but not to the SureThing 4SE software.

[B]Mr. Belvedere[/B]'s post makes it possible to download this tool from the LightScribe site, even though they themselves have removed their link.

The SureThing 4SE software is no longer linked to from the LightScribe download section, and hasn’t been linked to while we have been living under our rock. There are links to other software on that site, but not to the SureThing 4SE software.

I don’t know if this is still the best software, becasue it has been several years now. I do know Surething itself does not support this 4SE version anymore and would very much like you to cough up 25 bucks and purchase the better version.

I justed downloaded the program (still works) and executed it on a Windows 7 32bit environment (also works). Can’t test lightscribe, since i do not have a lightscribe writer in this machine.

Like several others, I too registered to this site to say Thank You Mr. Belvedere for the link! :cool: October 2011, and it’s still working! I actually bought and paid-for the SureThing 5 software last year, but now that I’m building another system, I’ll happily give the free 4SE version a try! (Rather than buying another license for the new computer…)

As a follow-up to the most-recent discussion, while following the links I’ve noticed that the LightScribe site now has a program called “Template Labeler” which seems to be an extended version of the “Simple Labeler” program. I haven’t tried it yet, but I may. I know that SureThing 5 allows me to change, shape (curve), resize, and reorient fonts (and use my own BG images). I’m assuming SureThing 4SE will allow all the same, but if it doesn’t, I will look into that Template Labeler program too.

Nonetheless, thanks ALL for a thread worth reading! - Jim

Thank you JimNomina.

I look forward to the results. I wonder what product is the best, both in price and in quality.

Just logged in to say that the link still works!! Using it right now and so far so good. Amazing, 4 years and counting.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2608136]Thank you JimNomina.

I look forward to the results. I wonder what product is the best, both in price and in quality.[/QUOTE]
Okay, I’ve tried both SureThing 5 (bought nearly 2 years ago) and SureThing SE. To be honest, they both look and do the same things, with one or two differences in function. Both work just fine, and both are WYSIWYG editors. (Now if I could just find a reasonably priced DVD authoring program with a completely-user-controlled WYSIWYG menu editor and hi-quality fit-to-disk video recoding! Either the DVD video quality sux, or the menu system is controlled / proprietary, or both.)

SureThing SE is a little more awkward. For example, in both I create a new text frame. In SureThing 5, I click anywhere in the working area once I’ve changed the text, and my mouse pointer changes back to the ‘Select’ (arrow) pointer. I can then move (or delete) the entire text frame, or double-click the text itself to re-edit. In SureThing SE, I have to go to the top-left of the editor window and select the type of pointer I need (I-beam / text-edit, arrow / select, rotate, and transparency). I got stuck in text-edit mode and couldn’t move or delete the text entry for a few minutes. So I tried the same label edit in SureThing 5 and eventually noticed the mouse-pointer selection buttons in SE. I suppose that if someone learns SE first and gets used to the buttons, they won’t notice the difference. SureThing 5 has fewer prefab Layout Styles to choose from (21 vs 27), but the prefab Layout Styles are nicer and less generic looking. No matter, since I seldom use the Layout Styles anyway and create the menu myself. The SureThing 5 interface, while nearly identical to the SE interface, just looks and feels slightly cleaner somehow.

In a cost-effectiveness comparison, SureThing SE beats SureThing 5 hands down. Both do the exact same things, they just go about doing them in a slightly different way. They look almost identical, they act almost identical, and the results are identical. Unless someone wants the slightly nicer prefab Layout Styles or the very-slight increase in ease-of-use, I’d strongly suggest with sticking with the FREE SureThing SE edition.

[QUOTE=JimNomina;2608963]In a cost-effectiveness comparison, SureThing SE beats SureThing 5 hands down. Both do the exact same things, they just go about doing them in a slightly different way. They look almost identical, they act almost identical, and the results are identical. Unless someone wants the slightly nicer prefab Layout Styles or the very-slight increase in ease-of-use, I’d strongly suggest with sticking with the FREE SureThing SE edition.[/QUOTE]

Well, there ya have it folks. Still going strong after 4 years. :cool:

Thank you for posting your results JimNomina! :flower:

Still works… thanks for the posts guys. :clap:

Btw, I’m running win7 64bit.

Still works :slight_smile:

Surething, by the way, is worthy of a Great Vendor Award because of their forum’s administrator, Pete. TOP NOTCH. Sometimes he says “I don’t know but I’ll find out.”

And sometimes he says “No.”

But he uses his product so thoroughly and knows so many Fix-It tips, and often will ‘write up’ complaints to be turned into new features. That forum’s quality is why we buy that product for our customers.

Link still working 5 YEARS! after the original post. Mr. Belvedere, thank you, thank you!!! I too registered jest to say thanks.

Thanks!