Free/inexpensive DVD drive diagnostic apps available?

Hi everyone:

I have a couple of NEC ND drives. I think one is a 3650 and the other is a 3550, if I remember correctly. For a drive that might be questionable, is there free/inexpensive software to test the drive completely, or does everyone just use the standard drive reading and writing tests?

I’m hoping for a true diagnostic app, if possible.

Thanks either way.

I’m not aware of any diagnostic app. People usually only test the quality of written discs with CDSpeed or OptiDriveControl

Liggy:

Thanks for that. And is that enough to know if a drive is reliable? I’m a tech. who needs to step someone through multiple very important burns of system discs. I need them to be reliable (all else being equal).

Even the best DVD-media (which is very rare since years) can also have faulty pieces. Without a quality scan it´s impossible to say the result is good.

I´m not sure whether these NEC-drives can do quality-scans, so I would recommend to buy a cheap LiteOn iHAS 124 or 324 for scanning.

Burn some discs with NEC and LiteOn and scan it, so you will see what´s the best of your drives for burning the media you use