Free Firewall Progam Better then Windows XP

Hi,
I am looking for a free firewall program that is better than the one that
comes with windows XP Pro. I searched the download threads and didn’t
see any.

any help is appreciated and sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

Hi :slight_smile:
Personally I would go with [B][U]Comodopersonalfirewall[/U][/B]

If you are using Windows XP why don’t you keep using the firewall that came with XP ? it’s free and made by Microsoft for XP, Most people at microsoft are saying it’s the best Firewall on the market.

[QUOTE=coathi;2025638]If you are using Windows XP why don’t you keep using the firewall that came with XP ? it’s free and made by Microsoft for XP, Most people at microsoft are saying it’s the best Firewall on the market.[/QUOTE]

That should be taken like a grain of salt on wounds…its a very limited firewall in features that won’t block hard core spyware or malware. It does a decent job in blocking out but knowing M$ history of fixes and updates…should leave one to wonder. Comodo is a very decent free firewall to use but don’t forgot a good free spyware like spybot to keep those spyware or malware at bay…also they do have free AV programs as well to remove rootkits as well as virus…

Chocolate firewall get comodo

Yo-

Suggest a combo of:

Comodo Firewall Pro

SpyBot with ‘teatimer’ turned on

ThreatFire from pctools

AVIRA Antivir PersonalEdition Classic

They are all free and all play nice with each other and all are the best in what they do-eh!!!

I’ve always had good luck with Zonealarm free version on Windows XP Home Ed.
Go to Zonelabs.com, scroll down to bottom right of webpage to download & install free vers.
Once installed, it will have to be ‘tought’ about your frequented websites.
With it running in the background, surf like normal, & you’ll get a pop-up box asking if Zonealarm should allow this.
Check the ‘Remember this’ BEFORE you click allow, or it will ask you everytime you go to your usual websites.
After you’ve ‘trained’ it (only happens in the beginning), you’ll only get the permissions pop-up occcasionally.
It may sound inconvenient, but it’s quite painless.
Also, Zonealarm will notify you when it needs updating. (eg., If you open the control center by double-clicking on the system tray icon, it will say ‘Firewall is up to date.’)
There’s even a quick tutorial that comes with it.
I never been hacked, and I’ve used it for 8 yrs.
It’s free & one of the best out there.

I’ve always had good luck with Zonealarm free version on Windows XP Home Ed.
Go to Zonelabs.com, scroll down to bottom right of webpage to download & install free vers.
Once installed, it will have to be ‘taught’ about your frequented websites.
With it running in the background, surf like normal, & you’ll get a pop-up box asking if Zonealarm should allow this.
Check the ‘Remember this’ BEFORE you click allow, or it will ask you everytime you go to your usual websites.
After you’ve ‘trained’ it (only happens in the beginning), you’ll only get the permissions pop-up occcasionally.
It may sound inconvenient, but it’s quite painless.
Also, Zonealarm will notify you when it needs updating. (eg., If you open the control center by double-clicking on the system tray icon, it will say ‘Firewall is up to date.’)
There’s even a quick tutorial that comes with it.
I never been hacked, and I’ve used it for 8 yrs.
It’s free & one of the best out there.

[QUOTE=ofield;2025613]Hi,
I am looking for a free firewall program that is better than the one that
comes with windows XP Pro. I searched the download threads and didn’t
see any.

any help is appreciated and sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=zebadee;2025623]Hi :slight_smile:
Personally I would go with [B][U]Comodopersonalfirewall[/U][/B][/QUOTE]

I will echo zebadee’s post. It is far better than zone alarm.

Sorry about the double-posting.
Don’t know what happened there.
I’m about to rebuild my hard drive, so I may give the Comodo a try.
Is it as easy to set & use as Zonalarm?

[QUOTE=chosenfew777;2029922]Sorry about the double-posting.
Don’t know what happened there.
I’m about to rebuild my hard drive, so I may give the Comodo a try.
Is it as easy to set & use as Zonalarm?[/QUOTE]

It’s a little more complex when configuring it than ZoneAlarm, but that’s why it’s better as well… gives you far more absolute control, as well as the best in terms of protecting against outbound firewall leaks.

I have Comodo on my main PC and a laptop, and ZoneAlarm on two other PCs and my daughter’s laptop.

I use Comodo 2.4 on one sytem. I’m currently playing with this one on my other (the free version). So far so good.

http://www.tallemu.com/

This is the best firewall, not free, but worth its money:
http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=783&L=1&grpID=46&ukat=kabel08

Any “firewall” application running on the own computer is entirely useless if the user has administrative permissions.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2030631]
Any “firewall” application running on the own computer is entirely useless if the user has administrative permissions.[/QUOTE]

Michael, you probably meant something that was slightly different than how this ended up being worded…no?

HaHa BTW…Knipex, LMAO

[quote=MBK;2030708]Michael, you probably meant something that was slightly different than how this ended up being worded…no?[/quote]:confused: No, I wrote what I meant: “Any Desktop Firewall software is totally useless if the user has adminstrative permissions.”

HaHa BTW…Knipex, LMAO
Hey, they are the best you can buy, pricey, but top quality :slight_smile: Like Plextor in the Good Old Days :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2030631]This is the best firewall, not free, but worth its money:
http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=783&L=1&grpID=46&ukat=kabel08
[/quote]LOL

Any “firewall” application running on the own computer is entirely useless if the user has administrative permissions.
A little debatable but fairly right. If your router has a nice firewall and you’re using OS’es native firewalls you are pretty ok. Especially if you occasionaly scan your system with a virusscanner and test for harmful spyware.