Free DVD Playback software app from AVS - VLC is no longer the only free DVD player

I don’t know how I never heard of these guys, but they are batting 2 for 2 with me today.

They are offering a FREE DVD Player program. Works like PowerDVD or WinDVD but is 100% free. I downloaded it and it plays my Matrix DVD just fine. I didn’t think anyone could offer these things for free. How cool.

http://www.avsmedia.com/

Direct product page:

http://www.avsmedia.com/DVDPlayer/index.aspx

It’s pretty cool. I’d give it a try. Looks loaded with the expected features.

Enjoy,

BK

Nice to know but VLC is SO much more than a DVD Player. :wink:

True dat. :slight_smile:

Still, this thing is kinda like PowerDVD or WinDVD, so while limited, it is pretty familiar feeling when in use.

I remember trying VLC before and found it kind of resource heavy. If AVS is more streamlined, this might be a better alternative for most people.

The part I dig is that it’s free. Seems to work well, though I have not done a comparsion in terms of memory use. It works and feels just like PowerDVD or WinDVD, so it’s familiar. Seems to do a great job. Playback is clear and clean, even at full screen, and the control pod has a few skins to help you find one that works best for you.

I can’t believe I didn’t know about this AVS group. Never heard of them before but BAM, they come out with a few really cool FREE programs that actually work. The DVD player especially - I mean, with the exception of VLC, has there been another free DVD playback app out there for end-users? What a deal.

I tried it and it works pretty well. The interface is simple and easy to use. When PowerDVD started crashing on me awhile ago, I tried VLC and it kept clipping and stuttering during movie playback. I probably spent an hour trying to find a free DVD playback codec or filter but came up empty. I’m really surprised that I didn’t find such an excellent free player like this when I looked so hard before fixing PowerDVD. Since it’s on version 2.2, it seems to have been around for awhile. I wonder why this software isn’t more popular. :confused:

I’m glad it works.

I have to admit - I don’t get it either. I’ve never even HEARD of these guys before, but they have two VERY good little freeware products and it makes me want to go nuts and get all their other pay stuff too. :slight_smile:

Enjoy it - and please spread the word - it is an amazing piece of freeware.

[QUOTE=BeardedKirklander;1583571]I don’t know how I never heard of these guys, but they are batting 2 for 2 with me today.

They are offering a FREE DVD Player program. Works like PowerDVD or WinDVD but is 100% free. I downloaded it and it plays my Matrix DVD just fine. I didn’t think anyone could offer these things for free. How cool.

http://www.avsmedia.com/

Direct product page:

http://www.avsmedia.com/DVDPlayer/index.aspx

It’s pretty cool. I’d give it a try. Looks loaded with the expected features.

Enjoy,

BK[/QUOTE]

BK…I went to the sites you provided and found 6 different downloads, none of which say “DVD Player”. What is the EXACT name of the program to which you are referring?

I.ve already surmised it’s not the one for audio editing, so, please give the EXACT name…Thanks…JPT

[QUOTE=jaypeetee44;2488314]BK…I went to the sites you provided and found 6 different downloads, none of which say “DVD Player”. What is the EXACT name of the program to which you are referring?

I.ve already surmised it’s not the one for audio editing, so, please give the EXACT name…Thanks…JPT[/QUOTE]

My same question as well there nothing there remotely even resembling a dvd player “free” software. So looks like you either gave the wrong site or bad links???

My same question as well there nothing there remotely even resembling a dvd player “free” software. So looks like you either gave the wrong site or bad links???

Or in 3 1/2 years since the last post they expired…

I’m with olyteddy this is a pretty old thread.
I’m not interested in it but you can scrool down this web page & download it.
Or at least it looks like it would.
http://www.avs4you.com/downloads.aspx
I like VLC for my extra player.
I had GOMPlayer which is OK but it want’s to add it’s own codecs for some files.
I’ve always thought it comes with some spyware you have to get rid of.
I do use it on an older computer that has Windows98 & is not internet connected.

[QUOTE=cholla;2488355]I’m with olyteddy this is a pretty old thread.
I’m not interested in it but you can scrool down this web page & download it.
Or at least it looks like it would.
http://www.avs4you.com/downloads.aspx
I like VLC for my extra player.
I had GOMPlayer which is OK but it want’s to add it’s own codecs for some files.
I’ve always thought it comes with some spyware you have to get rid of.
I do use it on an older computer that has Windows98 & is not internet connected.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I clicked on the download link and all of the described programs were there and clicking on one of the “download” options under a program brought up the Windows download box.

I feel sure they WILL download and I only hope the originator of this post will see it and relate the EXACT name of the referred to program.

If this is, indeed, an old thread, maybe somebody out there knows of another freeware BluRay playback program that has surfaced since this post?

I am due to receive my new rig with a BluRay player installed, but I understand this company buys most of its hardware in bulk packaging sans the software discs usually included with the consumer version of same.

Any steerage in the right direction would be appreciated…Thanks…JPT

[QUOTE=jaypeetee44;2488377]
If this is, indeed, an old thread, [/quote]it is. This thread was started on 25-10-2006

maybe somebody out there knows of another freeware BluRay playback program that has surfaced since this post?
Free BluRay players? Forget it. This is patented, copyrighted stuff, so no software company can afford to give away a BD player software for free.

I am due to receive my new rig with a BluRay player installed, but I understand this company buys most of its hardware in bulk packaging sans the software discs usually included with the consumer version of same.
Just ask the vendor. HP for example does ship BD player software with their computers (provided they are equipped with a BD drive).

Michael

:doh::doh:

It is possible to play the main m2ts file of a [B]decrypted[/B] Blu ray movie with Media Player Classic HomeCinema, but it won’t play the menus. That is about the closest you’ll get to a free Blu ray player. It can play a decrypted ISO of the movie from a virtual drive.

welke moet ik hebben ik zie namelijk als ik op de link klik 8 verschillende software en volgens mij is er geen een om een film aftespelen maar ja.

[QUOTE=vijfhuizennaar;2548919]welke moet ik hebben ik zie namelijk als ik op de link klik 8 verschillende software en volgens mij is er geen een om een film aftespelen maar ja.[/QUOTE]
English only in this subforum, we do have a Dutch forum for all our Dutch members though. :wink:

Or you could just download FFDShow. Just go into the video options, enable Mpeg-2 playback by switching it from “disabled” to “libavcodec” or “libmpeg2” (I recommend the second one, as its less resource-heavy). Then place a check mark in the “DVD decoding” box. Then, go into the audio options, and make sure ac3 is enabled. You should also enable DTS, LPCM, and mp2, since there are some dvds that use this technology (although, anything other than Ac3 and DTS is rare).