Free dvd burning software - What's the best free DVD burning software?

vbimport

*Added by staff:

Looking for free dvd burning software? We recommend:

1. Read the submitted posts below for information and help from other users.
  2. Before and after making any changes to your system or installing any software we strongly recommend you check your computer for Windows registry errors with Registry Booster 2010.

*End

I rip with DVD Shrink, but need to know a good free program to burn my DVDs with. My wife’s PC has Nero, but it was giving me errors and I want a free one for my laptop.

Any suggestions?

RipIt4Me and FixVts as frontends tools to be used with DvD Decrypter or DvD Shrink

Link: http://www.ripit4me.org/

:cool: :cool:

ImgBurn is what you want. It’s about the best free [B]burning[/B] app you can get. Get it @ www.imgburn.com

[QUOTE=TimC;1666049]ImgBurn is what you want. It’s about the best free [B]burning[/B] app you can get. Get it @ www.imgburn.com[/QUOTE]

I’m not so sure I completely agree with that comment. ImageBurn is a little clunky on the file / folder add.

CONS:

You have to choose what you want to add before you look, either files or folders, and IB gives you two choices, instead of one choice–search for files or folders.

When it comes to navigating, IB relies on icons with popups, instead of icons and text.

You get NO explorer type window for dragging and dropping or choosing files or folders to add to a compilation. All you get is a search for file OR folders dialog box, and that is it. This means you cannot see any files on the disk, or on your hard drive–unless you are adding files OR folders–again, you can’t search for both at the same time (this is REALLY annoying).

PROS

It cycles the tray for verification, which is a nice touch.

It has NO bloat at all.

It starts fast.

It burns cleanly and quickly.

It is small!!!

It seems to work well.

It has many advanced options.

It is a great image burner, creating images easily and boot images also, but ok, all burning software should do that.

It supports perhaps ALL image extensions, which means you don’t have to convert it–hello Nero, get your act together.

I can’t burn CDs from wavs, etc.

My conclusion is that I could use this software. However, since Foobar uses the Nero dlls to burn FLAC to CDROM, I’ll probably stick with Nero Bloat 8, and for all the bloat Nero has today, it still is a good program, but it takes too long to boot up. I’d like to find a reliable alternative to Nero that can burn images, data, and audio CDs, although burning audio CDs is something I raely do these days, being that my car stereo and home stereo have USB ports and accept SD cards.

QUOTE=DouglasWD;1958388

You get NO explorer type window for dragging and dropping or choosing files or folders to add to a compilation. [/QUOTE]You can drag’n’drop your files and folders from an Explorer window :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1958390]You can drag’n’drop your files and folders from an Explorer window :wink:

Michael[/QUOTE]

Yes, and I can do it with a command line batch script I could write also, but that’s not the question. Why not have the explorer window there? It’s no big deal for me, but others might like it. Also, it makes the work flow more efficient. All finished programs that do browsing have that option. It’s a simple front end to add.

You have to make an explorer window yourself whereas the file/folder dialog boxes are built into windows and are easily accessible via a single API call.

Also, look at the size of the ImgBurn main window…there’s just no room for an explorer style folder/file picker control!

Build mode was designed to be very basic. It’s really meant for burning an existing disc structure, not making up a new one.

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;1958456]You have to make an explorer window yourself whereas the file/folder dialog boxes are built into windows and are easily accessible via a single API call.

Also, look at the size of the ImgBurn main window…there’s just no room for an explorer style folder/file picker control!

Build mode was designed to be very basic. It’s really meant for burning an existing disc structure, not making up a new one.[/QUOTE]

Sure, I realize what you have done here. Why can’t you make use of the windows explorer through an ASP call, or dll? Maybe at least something that says “Drag files or folders from explorer to this window!”

You could always make the window resizeable. But I know what you are doing here and I agree that it’s a nice piece of software, and it doesn’t use that infernal NET framework that cdXP_burn, or whatever it is uses. I hate going to a computer that is connected through dial-up and get the message–you need NEtframe version blah blah to install this F-ing program.

Also, I didn’t notice a “format” option. Although I know it’s not really necessary, since it willl do it anyway before it tries to write. But other than that, it’s clean and easy to use and seems very reliable and accurate.

Thanks.

On another note–PLEASE NEVER USE DEEP BURNER FREE. I have never gotten that program to run correctly, ever, and sometimes it screws up my machine so badly I have to restore it using a disk image.

CDXP is a nice little program. I’ve loaded and tried several over the last two days, and image burn is nice, and so too is CDXP. CDXP will also allow you to burn audio CDs. It requieres NET Framework though, which is installed in Vista, but you’ll have to install it ini XP, at least if you have not installed it before and you have SP2 or earlier.

CDXP:
http://cdburnerxp.se/

OK I’m out. just wanted to give back to the community a little.

[QUOTE=pstatme;2112340]this link doesn’t lead to the site. I had to Google it and found out that this is a 14 day trial and needed to front up $30.00 for something that may work!
come on![/QUOTE]

Look at this site.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RipIt4Me

RipIt was always free.
It may not do some of new DVD, but it is OK for bout 98% of them.
ImgBurn is a way to go for burning.

So what’s the best free dvd burning sofware at this moment? Still ImageBurn? Or the Nero free version.

And what is the best free dvd burning software for Windows 7? Do both packages work flawless on Windows 7?

I would recommend ImgBurn over anything else Bakst0ne. It works well in Win 7.

ImgBurn is still my choice :iagree:

I would go for ImgBurn.

Same here.

I only Use ImgBurn :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DouglasWD;1958407]Yes, and I can do it with a command line batch script I could write also, but that’s not the question. Why not have the explorer window there? It’s no big deal for me, but others might like it. Also, it makes the work flow more efficient. All finished programs that do browsing have that option. It’s a simple front end to add.[/QUOTE]

I want to clarify my old post here. ImageBurn is great. I recently moved to it full time and it’s a solid foundation. And, I really do like using my own file explorer and just dragging the files over. That keeps the program smaller too.

One other thing: I use to use Infra Recorder: http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=4
Very nice polished small piece of software. I’d still use it, but it has a couple things that need to be updated first, and it hasn’t been updated for a year now. The two things that need fixin’ are (1) You have to choose “burn” from the menu. If you do it in the window, you get an error that the disk is bad. (2) default is not set to UDMA. Other than that, it’s sweet.

As I suspected ImgBurn wins the overall suggestions :iagree:

One Million strong and growing [B]<-[/B] :eek: hope I don’t get it for a copyright infraction :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2538311]As I suspected ImgBurn wins the overall suggestions :iagree:

One Million strong and growing [B]<-[/B] :eek: hope I don’t get it for a copyright infraction :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Have you tried InfraRecorder? Load it and check out its interface if not, and let me know what you think.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2538311]As I suspected ImgBurn wins the overall suggestions :iagree:[/QUOTE]

But I suspect it won’t work on protected DVD though. That will be the realm of paid and recommended program Slysoft and Dvdfab of the two I would recommend more. But I myself have all 4 of the main Slysoft software AnydvdHD, CloneCD, CloneDVD, CloneDVDmobile.