Free DVD burner!

vbimport

How’s this for a 1st post?!
Officemax.com has the Mad Dog DVD-R burner for FREE after mail-in rebate, today (9-14-04) only! We just ordered one :slight_smile:

Jim

Yup but they are 4x DVD-R/-RW only. With 4x media being phased out that means you will probably need to track down a firmware upgrade too (so you can burn at 4x on 8x media without any problems). The burners might be Toshiba SD-5112 but they could also be some other brand which certainly doesn’t get any praise (not to mention lack of firmware updates). While you can’t argue the price, you can argue that you are still out $40-$50 for about 2-3 months until the rebate comes through.

I only really need it to make back-up copies of some 1 hour “TV show” DVD’s I have, plus some kiddie-safe DVD’s that won’t make me worry about my originals getting damaged. DVD media is so cheap, I could build a stockpile of 4x media that would last me a LONG TIME! And at my age, 2 to 3 months goes by pretty darn quick! By the way, is DVDShrink the most novice friendly, FREE DVD copying program out there?

thanks!
Jim

Most definitely, a great choice that can easily compete with most commercial products.

I personally prefer Nero Recode (which is basically a further developed version of Shrink, by the same author btw., but lacks some key functions DVDShrink has that are “illegal” in the EU now (-> ripping). Recode is free for Nero 6 users) in combination with DVD Decrypter (–> for the ripping). Shrink misses some functions DVD Decrypter has, but you can combine DVDShrink with DVD Decrypter as well, of course (both DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are freeware).

I received the DVD-burner in 1 day! It says “Toshiba” on the label, but unfortunately is “computer beige” (I have read where others got a black faced unit). Installation was a snap. My Compaq PC’s OEM Samsung CD-R drive’s jumper was set to CS (cable select). I reset it to MASTER and set the Mad Dog to SLAVE, on the same IDE cable. I then used DVDShrink to make an .ISO image of a DVD on my hard drive. I then used Nero (included with DVD-burner) to burn the .ISO to a $.50 KPypermedia DVD-R. Does all this sound right? The resulting DVD plays perfectly in both my PS2 and my Sony progressive scan DVD player! :slight_smile:

what is the media id?

How do I determine that?

OK, it is TTG01, which I summise is CMC Magnetics with TDK dye.

“My Compaq PC’s OEM Samsung CD-R drive’s jumper was set to CS (cable select). I reset it to MASTER and set the Mad Dog to SLAVE, on the same IDE cable.”

I would reverse that, put the DVD burner as master and the CD as slave.

I would reverse that, put the DVD burner as master and the CD as slave.

Why? The instructions that came with it said to make it slave.

I’d just like to add that I am AMAZED at the performance of DVDShrink (FREE!) in combination with this FREE DVD burner, the FREE included Nero burning tool and a $.50 single-layered, x4 DVD-R (KHpermedia branded, but CMC Maagnetics manufacturer using TDK dye)!!! I made a back-up of Raiders of the Lost Ark last night. I deleted everything but the movie and the English 5.1 soundtrack. DVDShrink still had to compress the data a lot, but the result is a completely glitch-free DVD that had no visible signs of the compression on my 53" HDTV. Woo hoo!!! :slight_smile:

53"s, are you compensating for something here…? :wink:

DVD Shrink is great for re-authoring episodic discs to either cut down on the amount of discs you use, etc. I love being able to split out each episode independantly of each other. Shrink certainly has its uses - but it’s not my primary DVD backup program like CloneDVD2 and Nero Recode2 are. :wink: