Free Acronis True Image 2009 w/ purchase of 1000GB WD Black HDD

The HDD alone is a decent deal and currently $5 off w/ free shipping = $94.99. But then Newegg is throwing in True Image Home 2009 OEM - a $40 value – absolutely free, including free shipping!

I was happy enough to find the mentioned drive on sale because I needed to buy one anyway – ASAP. Just for the heck of it I checked the related bundle deals and couldn’t believe they were offering the Aconis app totally free of charge. Might be a typo, but my order went though as advertised… :cool:

My last 1TB WD drive died after only 3 months , with all my movies on it gone.

I’ll pass on WD’s

[QUOTE=bean55;2291094]My last 1TB WD drive died after only 3 months , with all my movies on it gone.

I’ll pass on WD’s[/QUOTE]

I know the pain you’re going through my 1TB Seagate up and died one day with no warning what so ever with around 200+ movies on it.
I’m very,very, glad I have the original disc’s to fall back on but it is just such a pain to have to re rip them all again. :iagree:

I had around 80 on mine already, lot of wasted time that I can not get back.Been using Hitachi ever since with no problems.

I’m very,very, glad I have the original disc’s to fall back on but it is just such a pain to have to re rip them all again.

Amen to that

WD isn’t good? I am shopping for a new HD for a server and was going to go with WD. Ouch!

May only have to do with the 1tb drives

[QUOTE=bean55;2291094]My last 1TB WD drive died after only 3 months , with all my movies on it gone.

I’ll pass on WD’s[/QUOTE]And my friend had a TB Samsung die on him, so they’re all bad. And his friend had a Seagate die on him so THEY’RE all bad too.

But wait… I’ve NEVER had a WD fail on me (all 15TBs of them, some 10 years old) so everyone who says WD is crap must be full of it – right?? Jeeze! Let’s get real here: ALL HDDs are capable of failure and NO brand is 100% perfect nor total crap. You buy the brand/model of HDDs that YOU choose to buy based upon YOUR experences and YOUR interpretation of the product’s design specs, professional reviewer test data, and user reviews.

That said, compare credible Newegg user reviews of the WD Black or Caviar series against any of the competing products and you’ll normally find WD leading them them by 10%-25%. Also, the WD Black series uses a dual processer controller and secures the drive platter at both ends – not just one like most others --THAT’S the data I researched befor choosing this HDD line and the sciences of physics and statistical analysis are behind me all the way.

The main cause of most DOA or early-failing OEM HDDs is due to rough handling by the order filler, packer, or shipper, and not necessarily from a manufacturing defect.

The second most common cause of early HDD failure would include improper installation or handling of it by the owner, including installing it with inadequate cooling and/or power. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen the results of someone installing a new HDD in a hot case and marginal power supply, and then not even taking the time to run a HW monitor app to ensure that it is running a normal temp and has sufficient voltage under load. Instead, they’ll immediatly attempt to transfer a million gigs of pirated media onto it and then piss and moan if it fails early…

[QUOTE=RWP;2291207]And my friend had a TB Samsung die on him, so they’re all bad. And his friend had a Seagate die on him so THEY’RE all bad too.

But wait… I’ve NEVER had a WD fail on me (all 15TBs of them, some 10 years old) so everyone who says WD is crap must be full of it – right?? Jeeze! Let’s get real here: ALL HDDs are capable of failure and NO brand is 100% perfect nor total crap. You buy the brand/model of HDDs that YOU choose to buy based upon YOUR experences and YOUR interpretation of the product’s design specs, professional reviewer test data, and user reviews.

That said, compare credible Newegg user reviews of the WD Black or Caviar series against any of the competing products and you’ll normally find WD leading them them by 10%-25%. Also, the WD Black series uses a dual processer controller and secures the drive platter at both ends – not just one like most others --THAT’S the data I researched befor choosing this HDD line and the sciences of physics and statistical analysis are behind me all the way.

The main cause of most DOA or early-failing OEM HDDs is due to rough handling by the order filler, packer, or shipper, and not necessarily from a manufacturing defect.

The second most common cause of early HDD failure would include improper installation or handling of it by the owner, including installing it with inadequate cooling and/or power. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen the results of someone installing a new HDD in a hot case and marginal power supply, and then not even taking the time to run a HW monitor app to ensure that it is running a normal temp and has sufficient voltage under load. Instead, they’ll immediatly attempt to transfer a million gigs of pirated media onto it and then piss and moan if it fails early…[/QUOTE]

1. I said I’ll pass I did not say everyone else should pass on it.

2. You are correct it usually is not the brand that fails as much as other issues,Mishandling,overheating, so on so on

Instead, they’ll immediatly attempt to transfer a million gigs of pirated media onto it and then piss and moan if it fails early…

This is a seriously wrong assumption on your part.
Like me saying : Are you feeling guilty?

all 15TBs of them, s[U]ome 10 years old[/U]

We were talking about 1TB drives I di not know they had them 10 years ago.

After working with a wide range of hard disks (2.5" & 3.5") and various brands (WD, Seagate, Maxtor, Quantum (both now Seagate), Toshiba, Samsung, Hitachi, Fujitsu, etc.) over the past 10 years as a technician, some hard disks will either gradually fail (accumulate bad sectors) or just die unexpectedly. So unfortunately there is no brand that you can 100% depend on. Even SSDs which have no moving parts are not immune to failure and like HDDs, these can totally fail unexpectedly.

As you’ll probably be getting this hard disk to store a huge amount of data, I would suggest getting two. Use one as your main hard disk and do a weekly mirror to a 2nd or set up the two as a RAID1 group. Setting up a RAID1 group (if your PC supports RAID) is straight forward and means that if one HDD fails, you can continue on as usual with the 2nd HDD. Alternatively, use something such as the commandline tool “Robocopy” , which does a great job at mirroring a copy by only copying files that differ or don’t exist on the target. With either, if one HDD fails, you still have the other HDD to depend on. Unlike RAID1, the manual mirroring method has a 2nd advantage in that if you accidentally delete files or a virus gobbles them up, you still have the files on the 2nd HDD. :wink:

Another thing worth doing is downloading HD Tune (the free edition or another HDD SMART reading tool) and periodically check the “Reallocated Sector Count” and “Reallocated Sector Event” values. If these start counting, then there is a good chance this HDD is going to fail soon.

From my experience, WD and Hitachi seem to have the lowest failure rates. I’ve only seen two WD’s fail in the past 10 years (one laptop HDD which accumulated bad sectors and one desktop HDD which totally died). For the Hitachi, I seen one develop bad sectors and the other two totally fail: one started by intermittently cutting out and then decided to password itself and the other was damaged by being run over by car (so not a HDD fault.) For the other brands, I’ve lost count (likely 10+ for each), but most generally failed by accumulating bad sectors.

[QUOTE=bean55;2291211]3.

This is a seriously wrong assumption on your part.
Like me saying : Are you feeling guilty?

We were talking about 1TB drives I di not know they had them 10 years ago.[/QUOTE]

1. I was not directing the comment towards you or anyone else here – just personal experience servicing other peoples’ PCs.

2. I wrote of a [I]total[/I] of around 15TB worth of HDDs, [I]some[/I] dating back 10 years.

I dont’t understand what’s all the fuzz about the free Acronis TrueImage bundled with the latest 1000GB Western Digital.
Seagate offers a,slightly crippled,True Image version for free since ages,
1 fo their Maxtor drives:http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=MaxBlast_5&vgnextoid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD
and 1 for their own Seagate drives:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

I’ll pass on WD’s[/QUOTE]

sorry but that statement can’t be more miss-informed. All HDD fail, every hard drive can die at anytime with no warning. brand doesn’t matter.

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;2291343]sorry but that statement can’t be more miss-informed. All HDD fail, every hard drive can die at anytime with no warning. brand doesn’t matter.[/QUOTE]

My Mistake

I was just stateing a fact about my [U]1TB Drive[/U]

I have other smaller WD drives that are fine, The thread was about a 1TB Drive.I really don’t see where [U]miss-informed [/U]would come into this statement at all.
My 1TB Drive did die .

[QUOTE=roadworker;2291309]I dont’t understand what’s all the fuzz about the free Acronis TrueImage bundled with the latest 1000GB Western Digital.
Seagate offers a,slightly crippled,True Image version for free since ages,
1 fo their Maxtor drives:http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=MaxBlast_5&vgnextoid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD
and 1 for their own Seagate drives:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD[/QUOTE]

Sorry I ever mentioned this deal. There are those who would find fault with it if it was free… :Z

[QUOTE=RWP;2291554]Sorry I ever mentioned this deal. There are those who would find fault with it if it was free… :Z[/QUOTE]:iagree: :bigsmile: but don’t worry about it :wink:

[QUOTE=RWP;2291554]Sorry I ever mentioned this deal. There are those who would find fault with it if it was free… :Z[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I offended you,it wasn’t my intention…,my response was not aimed @ you,but @ newegg’s marketing strategy. :o
They show this WD drive as a great combo deal,making this offer look like something very special,because you can ‘save’ $39.39 on this bundle.
The tools I mentioned in my earlier post,are availble for free,and they work with every Maxtor or Seagate drive…so you don’t have to buy an extra hd to get a free discimaging utility if you already own a drive of 1 of these brands…:wink:

[QUOTE=Bob;2291566]:iagree: :bigsmile: but don’t worry about it ;)[/QUOTE]
x2

It’s a good drive with excellent reviews in both external and internal versions.
I would expect Acronis OEM to have the same features as full retail and be more useful than the hobbled freebie versions.

Hard drive conversations remind me of political conversations…very emotional at times. Some folks have lost years of data and will despise that brand forever.

As stated, they’re mechanical devices that fail…the above mentioned excellent reviews (internal/external) are interlaced with some bad experiences.

There’s a work around for Seagate DiscWizard link in post #11 to have it work on non Seagate drives that I found at http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=Discwizard&thread.id=264. I’ve tried it on 2 non Seagate drives, and it does work.

[QUOTE=RWP;2291554][U]Sorry I ever mentioned this deal.[/U] There are those who would find fault with it if it was free… :Z[/QUOTE]

Please dont be, You did good.You found a deal and let us other members know about it. Thats great.

Being a forum we all put in our thoughts about it , Thats the way it is suppose to work.

Thank You for for letting is on the deal.