Francksoy re: Samsung 203B

I mainly want to create Windows XP custom boot install CD’s from ISO images etc… create CD’s for friends … and backup images.

your sig lists these as best units and from reading other posts on Cdfreaks forums, is it safe to say I should look into these two ?::
– Samsung 203B and Pioneer 112D –

why do you choose the BenQ over the Pioneer? these are both IDE older units?

is there a similar SATA DVD-R that excels at burning DVD-R media? the only other unit I noted down was the ASUS DRW-2014L1T … because of the good reviews and price at Newegg.

thanks in advance

– Brian / 360freq

[QUOTE=360freq;1986983]I mainly want to create Windows XP custom boot install CD’s from ISO images etc… create CD’s for friends … and backup images.[/quote]If you’re after CDR burning quality, the Samsung 203B is king in my book, on par with the Plextor Premium.

your sig lists these as best units and from reading other posts on Cdfreaks forums, is it safe to say I should look into these two ?:: – Samsung 203B and Pioneer 112D –
The 203B is the best “all-rounder” of the two. The 112D is for people who are anal about DVDR burning quality, and who don’t mind to stick with slower burning speeds (@8X, @12X) in the name of burning quality, count me in. :bigsmile: - it’s a so-so CDR burner and can’t compare with the Samsung reading performance with damaged discs. If you can get only one, get the Sammy and use -R DVDR media, the 203B clearly burns -R better than +R (which is an oddity since about ALL other burners do the contrary :confused:).
why do you choose the BenQ over the Pioneer?
Faster burns, lower jitter even at higher burning speeds. Not all 1650 units are that good, though. :frowning: I have two units and one is clearly superior to the other.

I’m thinking of going with the Pioneer DVR-215D, which I can’t find any reviews on but assume is pretty much on par with the 112D/212D. Just to make sure though, it may not be as good as the Samsung with CDRs, but it is still a decent audio CD ripper and not downright [I]bad[/I] at burning occasional MP3 CDs and Linux ISOs, right?

I have seen numerous reports of the DVDR burning quality of the 115 line, which seem to be totally on par with that of the 112 line, but I haven’t seen enough reports of its [I]CDR[/I] burning quality to have an opinion at this point.

All I can say is that even though the 112 line is not great [I]in my picky book[/I] for CD burning quality and audio ripping, it doesn’t produce coasters with CDR either. No, it’s not downright [I]bad[/I] as you put it. :slight_smile:

I haven’t tested its audio ripping quality, mainly because I don’t want to loose time by ripping with a drive that can’t report C2 pointers within EAC or ECDDA. If you do only occasional audio ripping, you’re not in my shoes though. You’d be better off asking in the Pioneer forum about that. :slight_smile:

phew Thanks for the clarifications; your post had me a bit worried there. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Francksoy;1988774]If you’re after CDR burning quality, the Samsung 203B is king in my book, on par with the Plextor Premium.[/QUOTE]Off topic:

Francksoy to bad your so far away from me i’d send you some CD-R’s and see who can get the best burn between your Sammy and my Premiums. Not saying i can do better with my Premiums but just to see for the fun of it.

[QUOTE=Bob;2013542]Off topic:

Francksoy to bad your so far away from me i’d send you some CD-R’s and see who can get the best burn between your Sammy and my Premiums. Not saying i can do better with my Premiums but just to see for the fun of it.[/QUOTE]Yes it would be nice to compare! :slight_smile: Also it would be very interesting to test 203B CDR burns in a Plextor drive, now that I think about it. Mainly for TA jitter, that Benq/Nexperia drives don’t report.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2013777]Yes it would be nice to compare! :slight_smile: Also it would be very interesting to test 203B CDR burns in a Plextor drive, now that I think about it. Mainly for TA jitter, that Benq/Nexperia drives don’t report.[/QUOTE]:slight_smile: what would you say to a thread say Francksoy and Bob’s CD-R battle?

I have two 203B’s here also.

I have never put all them against each other :disagree:

[QUOTE=Bob;2013778]:slight_smile: what would you say to a thread say Francksoy and Bob’s CD-R battle? [/quote]We would need to have the same testing unit to do that… :frowning: : I don’t believe in comparisons of tests performed in different equipement…

When I compared Premium (v2) burns and 203B burns, it was with the same TY media, burns tested through Advanced Scans in Benq 1650 @24X :

1. 16X burning speed, no clear winner, both outstanding
  2. 24X burning speed, still no clear winner, still both outstanding
  3. 32X burning speed, much lower jitter figures from the 203B. :eek:, still both outstanding but jitter started to be borderline (in my book) in the Plex burn.

We didn’t test lower and higher burning speeds.

I’d like to mention that these TY 97m24s01f are extremely difficult to burn at higher speeds (>24X) without producing significantly high jitter in all of the other burners I tested, and that the results in this area, both in the Plextor and the Sammy, are simply marvelous when compared to the competition.

I can dig the scans up sometime. They’re on an archival CD somewhere in my “to be filed” pile. :doh: :bigsmile:

DAE through EAC with a damaged disc was largely superior with the 203B than with the Premium. :eek: - the Sammy could retrieve all of the damaged song, the Plex failed.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2014001]We would need to have the same testing unit to do that… :frowning: : I don’t believe in comparisons of tests performed in different equipement…

When I compared Premium (v2) burns and 203B burns, it was with the same TY media, burns tested through Advanced Scans in Benq 1650 @24X :

1. 16X burning speed, no clear winner, both outstanding
  2. 24X burning speed, still no clear winner, still both outstanding
  3. 32X burning speed, much lower jitter figures from the 203B. :eek:, still both outstanding but jitter started to be borderline (in my book) in the Plex burn.

We didn’t test lower and higher burning speeds.

I’d like to mention that these TY 97m24s01f are extremely difficult to burn at higher speeds (>24X) without producing significantly high jitter in all of the other burners I tested, and that the results in this area, both in the Plextor and the Sammy, are simply marvelous when compared to the competition.

I can dig the scans up sometime. They’re on an archival CD somewhere in my “to be filed” pile. :doh: :bigsmile:

DAE through EAC with a damaged disc was largely superior with the 203B than with the Premium. :eek: - the Sammy could retrieve all of the damaged song, the Plex failed.[/QUOTE]I see you have done some extensive testing. And yes would need same test machine,drives,media etc…

It was just a wild idea had. I might burn a few CD-R’s with my Sammy’s and see how they test out.

I know my Sammy’s can read really really well.