Found "TY / Verbatim" in German retail store

Hi,

today I discovered that Conrad Electronic is selling Tayo Yuden DVD-R x16 (29,95€ for 50 discs), DVD+R x16 (29,95€ for 50 discs) and DVD-RAM (??€ for 1 cartridged disc) media.

So this thread is for those who are searching for them in a retail store nearby and don’t want to order them online, I hope it’s ok to “advertise” this here.

They seem to be genuine TY:

[ul][li]Made in Japan (MIJ)
[/li][li]TY 50x cakebox (“long” lockmechanism, “FIC2-B” on the lid
[/li][li]Shrinkwrap is printed
[/li][li]MID for the ones I bought (DVD+R) is “YUDEN000-T03-00”
[/li][li]The ID number in the hub ring (innermost) is very hard to decypher, it could be: GF743YLO818OPH
[/li][li]Then there’s another ID more off the center on the first ring of the data layer: TH0000xx
[/li][/ul]

The first disc on the top had some slightly damaged “coating” on the data layer side, as if it was handled incorrectly while the lacquer hasn’t dried. :rolleyes: Also the content of the cakebox is a bit “dusty” compared to other media I usually bought (all Made in Taiwan), as if the packaging conditions weren’t that good.

I can’t do a quality test with my NEC-3500AG (2.1B) and I haven’t burned anything yet anyway. But once I’ve done that I will give feedback if it succeeds or not. Not very useful at the moment, but I’ve seen excellent tests with this writer/media combo, so I don’t think there will be any negative surprises.

Can anyone, looking at the characteristics I have given in this post, tell me if the TYs are genuine? Although I’m pretty sure they’re not fakes.

PS: The DVD-RAM, both SL and DL available, have a big fat “Made in Japan” logo printed on the shrinkwrap.

OT: How do I get the attached images to show underneath each other and not beside one another? It messes up the forum design so badly.

[QUOTE=Zottel;1973616]Hi,

today I discovered that Conrad Electronic is selling Tayo Yuden DVD-R x16, DVD+R x16 and DVD-RAM media.

So this thread is for those who are searching for them in a retail store nearby and don’t want to order them online, I hope it’s ok to “advertise” this here.
[/QUOTE]

It’s absolutely fine ;)…and TY don’t make DVD-RAM to my knowledge, but other manufacturers make it in Japan (Panasonic etc).

Regarding the T03 - I haven’t seen it in the new packaging yet, but all the signs are that it’s genuine TY - the TH0000xx practically confirms it. :wink:

Edit: And the images show underneath each other for me.

IMO, that is Verbatim media with the new package, which is widely available now in Germany.

It happens in Opera, not Firefox (not sure about IE).

[QUOTE=chef;1973630]IMO, that is Verbatim media with the new package, which is widely available now in Germany.[/QUOTE]
Well, but not at the big “Blödmärkte” so far. I haven’t seen any TY at Saturn, MediaMarkt and so on… at least not in Hamburg.

[QUOTE=Cressida;1973633]It happens in Opera, not Firefox (not sure about IE).[/QUOTE]
IE shows me “Attached images” and then links, no images. Is that like in FF? (I don’t have FF installed and indeed use Opera 9.5).

[QUOTE=Zottel;1973634]Well, but not at the big “Blödmärkte” so far. I haven’t seen any TY at Saturn, MediaMarkt and so on… at least not in Hamburg.

IE shows me “Attached images” and then links, no images. Is that like in FF? (I don’t have FF installed and indeed use Opera 9.5).[/QUOTE]

FF shows the images on top of each other (links should be only when you’re not logged in?)

Old-style packaging TY Verbatim has been around in retail stores as well in the last 6 months or so (but not so easy to find).

[QUOTE=Zottel;1973616]I can’t do a quality test with my NEC-3500AG (2.1B) and I haven’t burned anything yet anyway. But once I’ve done that I will give feedback if it succeeds or not. Not very useful at the moment, but I’ve seen excellent tests with this writer/media combo, so I don’t think there will be any negative surprises.[/QUOTE]

The burning process was a “typical” one for this combo (looking at the screenshots of others). At ~90% there’s a slowdown from ~16x to ~9x. So T03 doesn’t seem to be much different from T02 in this matter.

Verifying the image succeeded. Unfortunately I don’t have a DVD drive that is able to do a full quality test, so no test pics sorry.

[QUOTE=Cressida;1973643]FF shows the images on top of each other (links should be only when you’re not logged in?)[/QUOTE]
:doh: Yeah, wasn’t logged in with IE. IE works as FF: images are shown on top of each other.

[QUOTE=Cressida;1973643]Old-style packaging TY Verbatim has been around in retail stores as well in the last 6 months or so (but not so easy to find).[/QUOTE]I see… can you tell me what retail store chains beside Conrad are selling TY/Verbatims or other branded TYs?

Hi,

[QUOTE=Zottel;1973616]Hi,
today I discovered that Conrad Electronic is selling Tayo Yuden DVD-R x16 (29,95€ for 50 discs), DVD+R x16 (29,95€ for 50 discs)[/quote]too expensive. These are available in some Geiz-n-Geil-stores for about 25 € :wink:

They seem to be genuine TY:
Of course, Verbatim sells genuine stuff. I wouldn’t expect anything else.

The first disc on the top had some slightly damaged “coating” on the data layer side, as if it was handled incorrectly while the lacquer hasn’t dried.
etc. etc.
If you do a search in these forums for Verbatim TY, you’ll find out, that these discs are some kind of B-grade. Very disappointing.

Just one example: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/im-not-too-impressed-my-new-pioneer-112d-230977/#post1965780

[QUOTE=Zottel;1973650]
I see… can you tell me what retail store chains beside Conrad are selling TY/Verbatims or other branded TYs?[/QUOTE]

No need to search for these. You may be better off with MiT MCC.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1973658]
No need to search for these. You may be better off with MiT MCC.
[/QUOTE]

Or a 750GB HDD. :sad: Actually the more I browse these forums, the more I’m thinking of going HDD only for backups.

PS: The one’s I bought are not TYG03 (DVD-R)… but that doesn’t mean the other stuff that is said about Verbatim TY being crap is untrue for the DVD+Rs.

[QUOTE=mciahel;1973658]You may be better off with MiT MCC.[/QUOTE]
Oh, I just remembered, I don’t think so at all:

:Z http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/verbatim-dvd-r-16x-mcc-03rg20-overall-quality-157795/#post1960811 :Z

Although I must admit I had no problems with other MCCs burnt at 16x in the past.

PS: I didn’t get a refund, but at least a coupon out of “management’s goodwill”. Geiz ist nunmal geil.

PPS: Conrad sells these too, in 25s spindles. Both DVD+R and DVD-R 25s Verbatims are Made in Taiwan, whereas both 50s are Made in Japan.

PPPS: I guess I will follow [I]cd pirate[/I]'s advice and do 8x burns only in the future.

[QUOTE=Zottel;1973634]Well, but not at the big “Blödmärkte” so far. I haven’t seen any TY at Saturn, MediaMarkt and so on… at least not in Hamburg.[/QUOTE]They are good at warehousing.

The YUDEN000 T03 can often be better or equally good compared to MCC 004, however TYG03 under the Verbatim brand often comes with questionable quality.

Taiyo Yuden does sell DVD-RAM under the That’s brand, but I assume that it’s made by Panasonic or Maxell in Japan. The “Made in Japan” logo is present on Panasonic packaging, right?

(DVD-RAM DL does not exist, maybe you meant DS?)

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;1973773]Taiyo Yuden does sell DVD-RAM under the That’s brand, but I assume that it’s made by Panasonic or Maxell in Japan. The “Made in Japan” logo is present on Panasonic packaging, right?[/QUOTE]Actually yes, the brand was indeed Panasonic .

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;1973773](DVD-RAM DL does not exist, maybe you meant DS?)[/QUOTE]Oops, yes of course.

IMO the Verbatim T03 media is better than the TYG03, but unless the deal is very good, 99 times out of 100 I will go for the MCC made Verbatim.

But I have been ‘using up’ some TYG03 (GH000155) and I get much better results at 4x over 8x.
I dont have access to my Lite0n 165P6S scans as Hdd’s are on their maintenance cycle :frowning:
So just from the older Lite0n, but it is quite close and the trend is the same …the big 8x spikes are always there and not from the media.

[QUOTE=Zottel;1973751]
PPPS: I guess I will follow [I]cd pirate[/I]'s advice and do 8x burns only in the future.[/QUOTE]
:iagree::bigsmile:

If you tried my latest spindle of MCC004 you’d be extremely disappointed because 16x and even 12x seem to produce way out of spec errors. 16x and higher almost always makes an incredibly bad burn and I’m not talking a few thousand PIF, I’m talking rainbow PIF that hits the jackpots at over 20,000.

Amazingly, 6x in my 111L produce excellent results. One burn scoring 35,000 PIE, 200PIF and very low jitter. And the results seem to be quite repeatable when using the 111L @ 6x on this batch of media.

[QUOTE=Zottel;1973751]
PPPS: I guess I will follow [I]cd pirate[/I]'s advice and do 8x burns only in the future.[/QUOTE]

Good plan, I do the same :slight_smile:

It definitely helps with the Verbie 16x TY. :iagree: