Found Any QUALITY CDR's Lately?

vbimport

Once again looking for recommendations of current manufactured cdr’s.

I consider a quality burn to have a Nero score of 99 with no more than 200 C1 errors (I get that & better from NOS TY & TDK).

If you’ve recently purchased a batch that you’re pleased with, would greatly appreciate a link to where you purchased from & an sku or link to the exact product!

which 200 do you mean, avg, max, total?
which scan do you mean?
the normal scan is without e22 errors.
only the advanced scan is complete with e22.
what drive do you use to scan?

Asking again, does ANYONE know of ANY batches of quality cdr’s currently available for sale in the USA?

@ MooMooMooMoo: I would recommend JVC CD-R that are genuine Taiyo Yuden, and slightly tougher than unbranded TY silver thermal CD-R. According to Google Product Search these are available in the US as well.

@ memory: You can only do advanced scans with BenQ DVD writers and these are nearly extinct nowadays. Also, LiteOn DVD drives/writers are inaccurate as they do not report all C1 errors, but only E31 errors = C1 failures.
So I’d recommend using an Optiarc DVD writer for CD quality tests. Optiarcs are very good writers as well, and there’s great third party support by [I]Liggy[/I] and [I]Dee[/I] :flower:.

I haven’t tried any branded JVC’s yet, thank you for the tip.

I have also found that my Optiarc 7200a is my most reliable cd scanner. I don’t find the 7200s to be as reliable for cdr’s though the 7200s pretty much duplicates the 7200a’s results on dvdr’s.

I found an excellent price for USA residents, $22.99 per hundred with free shipping. Now to see if they’re any good!

http://www.music123.com/Accessories/Media-Storage-Memory/Recordable-Media/CD-R-Recordable-Media/52X-CD-R-Premium-Grade-Silver-Lacquer-100-Disc-Pack.site7sku485455000000000.sku

Optiarcs are OK for DVD scanning. Nero CD-DVD Speed or Nero DiscSpeed should be configured to use 1ECC instead of 8ECC (behind the Advanced button on the Disc Quality tab) if you are using that software.

eBay seller bidthepost has a pile of old media listed which may be of interest. (Thanks to Two Degrees in the Bargain Basement forum.)

Thanks for the tip! i bought the 300 TDK cdr’s for $28. Hopefully these are the same awesome nos discs I’ve been getting from Jim, but even if not the price is right & i can use them for friends at that price if they are later period junk.

Can anyone tell if their Maxell’s are TY’s? In my experience the Maxell TY’s are great, but most other Maxells are 100% junk. As the seller is a charity, I doubt if they have a clue what they’ve got.

If you can find Verbatim CD-R bearing the DataLifePlus or the Super Azo logo (the eBay seller has some of those) you can go for them as well, very good discs.

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2618781]If you can find Verbatim CD-R bearing the DataLifePlus or the Super Azo logo (the eBay seller has some of those) you can go for them as well, very good discs.[/QUOTE]

Those are still available here in the US – I got a spindle recently from B&H Photo (www.bhphotovideo.com). They are Verbatim #94523 (for the 50-pack spindle) and the ones I bought were made in China.

I’m picking up some of the older ones of these from this eBay seller and will report when I get them.

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2618503]@ MooMooMooMoo: I would recommend JVC CD-R that are genuine Taiyo Yuden, and slightly tougher than unbranded TY silver thermal CD-R. According to Google Product Search these are available in the US as well.

[/QUOTE]

Got the branded JVC today. Burned the first one & 1 from the middle if the cake. Unfortunately, these appear to be some of the worst TY’s I’ve ever had. The first burn had 869 c1’s, the second had 529. Both were 54 minutes.

My suspicion is the problem may be that JVC/TY is now using NO spacers at all in the factory sealed JVC cake, & the discs bounced around a bit in shipping. I remember a couple years back, when i got a pretty bad batch of TY premiums from CD Dimensions, “CD Sam” told me he suspected it was caused by at that time TY had gone to less spacers in the cakes. Again, this one had none.

They were factory sealed, & labeled as JVC Premium 52x. The discs were also labeled JVC. The mid is Taiyo Yuden.

The NOS TDK’s from ebay are likely going to arrive tomorrow (if I can get to the post office in the snow!). Hopefully, they’ll be higher quality.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2613815]I consider a quality burn to have a Nero score of 99 with no more than 200 C1 errors (I get that & better from NOS TY & TDK).[/QUOTE] Your requirements are not realistic; it’s sometimes possible to achieve such numbers, but not in general.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2619154]Unfortunately, these appear to be some of the worst TY’s I’ve ever had. The first burn had 869 c1’s, the second had 529.[/QUOTE] Those are still very low C1 error counts, and using the term “worst” for such results is highly misleading.

If you continue to have completely unrealistic goals of how your CD-R media should scan, you will probably never find acceptable media.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2619180]Your requirements are not realistic; it’s sometimes possible to achieve such numbers, but not in general.

Those are still very low C1 error counts, and using the term “worst” for such results is highly misleading.

If you continue to have completely unrealistic goals of how your CD-R media should scan, you will probably never find acceptable media.[/QUOTE]

My requirements are VERY realistic with true New Old Stock. I have TY Maxells & True TDKS I bought from a forum member that burn to better than 99 score/less than 100 c1 errors almost every time.

Both EARLY FTI & many pre JVC TY premiums also did so.

I am really tired of this argument. FACT: cdr manufacturing has gone way downhill in the last 3 years or so. if you’re content with burns like that, good for you. i am not.

FYI, the 300 supposed NOS TDK’s I bought on ebay arrived today. They are not true TDK’s; they are OEM Riteks.

At least they were cheap…

To once again prove my point, here are 2 scans of cdr’s burned tonight. identical content, burned back to back on the same burner/pc.

The better of the 2 scans is an NOS Maxell branded TY that I purchased from James on this forum. Worse of the 2 is a JVC branded premium that I bought last week on the net.

Do you want to scan at a higher speed such as 32x or 40x? The scans look a bit unrealistic.

The Optiarc AD-7220A is, as far as I know, a LiteOn OEM drive, and it’s not suitable for CD scanning since it ignores the E11 and E21 types of C1 errors (only reports E31 = C1 failures).

Maybe these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/290531237024?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3121wt_1396

Optiarc AD-7220A -> LiteOn iHAP322
Optiarc AD-7220S -> LiteOn iHAS322
Optiarc AD-7221A -> LiteOn iHAP422
Optiarc AD-7221S -> LiteOn iHAS422

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/de/other-drives/

liteon can’t scan cd-r.

use for that a real optiarc such as 7200 / 7201 / 7203 / 5200 / 5201 / 5203.