Forums sloooooow?

All of a sudden, the forums have slowed to a crawl, and the occasional “server busy. Try again later” message pops up.

Is this related to the new frontpage updates?

:slight_smile:

I also have noticed this and was wondering if version 2.0 is the cause of this as that is sssssssssslllllllllooooooowwwwwwwwww too.

Same here Arachne, very slow loading and sometimes the page times out. It is very frustrating, this sometimes lead to double posting.

:a :iagree: :bigsmile:

I feel like I’m on dial-up - I could go and make a cup of tea waiting for one page to load :bigsmile:

The cause of everything being slow is because we have some technical database issues with the CD Freaks v2.0.

Thanks for letting us know. I guess I asked because the forum part wasn’t upgraded, and didn’t know if the two were related or not.

:slight_smile:

They are.
It is a cluster of servers running in 2 locations (7 by now?). Domi can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there is one database server, which is used for the mainpage and forum…This means that if CD Freaks v2 relies heavily on the database server, it also affects the forum.

From what I understand (spoke with MP|3 earlier this evening) a lot is being done to tweak the code for the mainpage, to lower the server load. I must say that the forum is a lot faster now than it was 30 minutes ago…

Ahhhh, thanks for the in-depth info, Tax - shows you how much I know about how these things are run :wink:

Yep, kudos to whoever is doing the tweaking, things are a lot faster now :bow:

But even if things slow down again, at least now we all know what’s going on, and can just ride it through :slight_smile:

We just seem to have narrowed the slowness down to one piece of code. We disabled this for now, hopefully we can rewrite it in such a way that it’ll be faster later tonight.

It is better already, not as fast as usual but good enough for now. Thanks.

For those who want to know more about what servers there are and what they are used for, just have a look at here.

:iagree:

Great to see that kind of info available, Liggy, thanks :)…that’s pretty much the kind of info my ISP has on their site about their servers. :slight_smile:

Also, please keep reporting if you experience problems. I think most problems with the speed are solved at the moment?

Wrong.

It’s still very slow at what is not a peak time.

Yes I estimate it’s currently taking 5-10x more time to navigate (longer if you force a non-cache refresh). Plus now getting “server busy - try again later” messages…

hmm, here it works as usual

Just an update for those that need to be told this…It took me 20 minutes to get to this section to just type my post. I expect it to take 3 to 5 minutes just to submit this post as well. On average it takes a blink of a eye but not now. Can you please see what is going on once again please…Thanks

It’s a bit faster now here :)…10-15 minutes ago, I was struggling to load pages in the LR (thought it was this borrowed PC - just 192MB of RAM :eek: ).