Forum admins pays 100,000+ € for libellous remarks posted by users in their forum!

vbimport

First discussed at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2366 about a sad affair accounted here : http://www.odebi.org/expl_eng.htm

Now, other webmasters have to pay 200,000 € because users have posted insults in the forum they were in charge : http://opserpir.free.fr/

It's becoming disturbing : any company can have your money. Say that Thingy is manufacturing Cd ROM drives for example. They would just have to register to this forum and post "Thingy is bullshit". Then they sue the administrators and get their money after the trial ! :frowning:

I don’t know about this particular case, but in general you are warned first that something is libellous. If you do not remove that part, then you might face charges.

If you don’t remove the messages posted, then you should be aware of possible consequences.

So far we have not been contacted for anything that is in violation of any laws, at least not to my knowledge.

a few words to this case;

it sucks and won’t work

lmao what a joke:o

Originally posted by Da_Taxman
in general you are warned first that something is libellous. If you do not remove that part, then you might face charges.

That’s exactly what the 2000 act about internet says.
But here this act was ignored. The court based its judgement on the 1881 act about press releases instead.
The webmaster was considered as a publisher and immediately sentenced.

Luckily this server is located in the Netherlands, where different laws apply.

I am not sure about this, but I don’t think CD Freaks could be sued under US law…since neither the server is located in the US nor the owners are American…

Americans and law suits. tsk tsk tsk

This is really sad indeed Pio2002, thanks for the message ! I hope the law of the country I’m in will be able to protect me better, because this is really shit !

so…should we stop saying our opinion???

I wont. I am sure the law of the Netherlands, as my country, protect free speech and free opinions.

good…i am not good in keeping my mouth shut

fight the power :bigsmile:

Anyway, there’s a difference between stating an opinion and an insult. Telling insults is not a right.

But it’s not a reason to sue, and certainly not at such prices, and even less the webmaster (though in the first affair, the webmasters themselves were involved) !

but who judges about what is an insult or what is an opinion??

i can have an opinion, but you can see it as an insult

> but who judges about what is an insult or what is an opinion??

A judge.

then we will have not much time left:(

I remember a sentence (funny german law…):

Someone considered his neighbours dog too loud…a judge decided that this dog must not bark longer than 10min between 12:00 and 13:00…:a:a:a:a:a

lol

…and there are some states in the US, I’ve been said, where it is forbidden to die sunday.

Originally posted by Pio2001
…and there are some states in the US, I’ve been said, where it is forbidden to die sunday.

Suicide is illegal in most countries as well.

But what are they going to do when someone successful commits suicide … lock him up ?

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]

Suicide is illegal in most countries as well.

But what are they going to do when someone successful commits suicide … lock him up ? [/B]

Reanimate him (if possible) :bigsmile: