Formula 1 & Motorsport Chat

vbimport

As far as I know there hasn’t been a Formula 1 thread on CDFreaks since 2006 (here). So lets see if this one can last a bit longer.

What did you think of the races so far? (Australia, Malaysia, China & Bahrain)
Do you think that the new regulations have helped the racing?
Can Brawn GP win the championship?
Can Ferrari get their act together?
Is KERS a complete waste of money or the future of motorsport?
If split-level diffusers are so good then why are Red Bull so fast without one, and Williams now well off the pace with one?
Will Nelson Piquet Jr. keep his seat for the whole season?

And feel free to discuss other classes of motorsport if you wish -
DTM: Were Mercedes right to drop Jamie Green in favour of Ralf Schumacher? :rolleyes:
(4 wins from the last 13 races & 2nd best Mercedes driver in 2007 & 2008 vs. Ralf’s single points scoring finish in 2008)
Le Mans: Can Peugeot beat Audi?

[QUOTE=Ibex;2264697]What did you think of the races so far? (Australia, Malaysia, China & Bahrain)[/QUOTE]

Australia was ok, nothing special as usual, Malaysia was was fun, since i dont remember any other rave being red flaged, China was boring and Bahrain was a good race with a lot of action.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2264697]Do you think that the new regulations have helped the racing?[/QUOTE]

For sure it helped BrawnGR and Williams and Red Bull.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2264697]Can Brawn GP win the championship?[/QUOTE]

I hope so.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2264697]Can Ferrari get their act together?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately YES

[QUOTE=Ibex;2264697]Is KERS a complete waste of money or the future of motorsport? [/QUOTE]

Just a big waste of money, also there is nothing on it that helps the environment, so i hope that we wont have KERS next year.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2264697]If split-level diffusers are so good then why are Red Bull so fast without one, and Williams now well off the pace with one?
Will Nelson Piquet Jr. keep his seat for the whole season?[/QUOTE]

Double deck diffusers are just an excuse for Ferrary,BMW,Renault being slow, and red bull is the proof of that.
Piquet Jr. will be leaving the Renault if he doesn’t get any points in Spain and Monaco.

I was a big fan of F1, but many things have taken place over the last couple of years that has turned me off F1.
The McLaren fiasco may well be the last straw for me, it often seems that F1 is always picking on McLaren.

Plus, F1 is supposed to be the premium events in motorsport, yet they are forever trying to slow the cars down.

One thing that has been good about this year. New cars and drivers are winning races, and that’s good IMO.

In the years that I have been watching F1 I have gravitated to being a McLaren fan. The spygate scandal was bad - but not conclusive enough to put me off the team. The stewards’ inquiry fiasco may put me off the team.

Regarding slowing the cars down: have they really slowed down the cars at all?

On KERS: surely using stored kinetic energy to assist in acceleration is basically “free”, i.e. the car is not forced to dump it all to heat in the brake discs to stop the car?

On split level diffuser / rear crash structures: each team has interpreted the new regulations in a different way - some significantly different. It will be interesting to see how all of the teams shape up in Spain as I believe most teams will have an update package to apply to their cars by then.

Is this year more interesting? Absolutely - we have not had the Silver / Red battle for supremacy…

At least this year some interesting things happenend: F1 is interesting again…
And freely available to all viewers over europe too, hey!!!

I like it, vene I also hunt for F1 feeds (actually at 16e and 12w mostly).
Watch out for them.

For me Vetter is the high class shooting star.
BMW Sauber is really off the track, Ferrari is slowly improving, McLaren a bit better and Toyota, BRAWN & RedBull show them their …fingers. LOL

[QUOTE=vroom;2264735]Just a big waste of money, also there is nothing on it that helps the environment, so i hope that we wont have KERS next year. [/QUOTE]
:iagree:
The irony is that it was only BMW’s veto which stopped the introduction of KERS being postponed. They were certain it was going to give them a significant advantage.:doh:

The sooner its gone the better. If everyone has it it won’t make much difference to the overtaking, but I am sure the top teams have spent much more money developing it than the £30 Million budget cap the FIA are talking about.

The BBC had a look at the Mercedes KERS system after the race in Bahrain. and it was amazing just how small it was. The motor/generator looked smaller than the starter motor on a road car, and the battery pack no bigger than a large shoe box.

[QUOTE=vroom;2264735]Double deck diffusers are just an excuse for Ferrary,BMW,Renault being slow, and red bull is the proof of that.[/QUOTE]
When the technical directors from all the teams were meeting to finalise the rules for this year Ross Brawn specifically mentioned the diffuser loophole and suggested that the rules should be ammended to prevent it being exploited. But Renault vetoed it on the ground that it would be too restrictive.:doh:

And who is now saying that Brawn’s TV money from FOM should be given to the other teams to pay their diffuser development costs? Renault’s Flavio Briatore.

But as Adrian Newey & Red Bull have proved, there is as much downforce to be gained (for now at least) by getting the rest of the car right. You don’t need a split-level diffuser to be fast (but it helps). Nice to know that he still has that Newey magic.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2264781]One thing that has been good about this year. New cars and drivers are winning races, and that’s good IMO.[/QUOTE]
Add to that no more adverts, and Eddie Jordan and David Coulthard as pundits.

And don’t get me started on the FIA’s pro-Ferrari bias, not to mention the small matter of their $50,000,000+ annual subsidy from the commercial rights money just for being Ferrari. Just remember that Bernie Ecclestone (commercial rights), Max Mosley (FIA President), Charlie Whiting (FIA Race Director) & Herbie Blash (FIA master of ceremonies) all worked together when Brabham was owned by Bernie in the 1970s & 80s (arguably the golden age of cheating). And maybe there was a reason why Ron Dennis didn’t stay on as Brabham’s chief mechanic after Bernie bought the team.

The irony is that it was only BMW’s veto which stopped the introduction of KERS being postponed. They were certain it was going to give them a significant advantage.:doh:

The sooner its gone the better. If everyone has it it won’t make much difference to the overtaking, but I am sure the top teams have spent much more money developing it than the £30 Million budget cap the FIA are talking about.

The BBC had a look at the Mercedes KERS system after the race in Bahrain. and it was amazing just how small it was. The motor/generator looked smaller than the starter motor on a road car, and the battery pack no bigger than a large shoe box.
[/QUOTE]

This is the fun part of the story, the fact that BMW made all this noise about KERS and look at this race results, 18 & 19 for BMW, only LH manage to get something more from kers.
Money is not the subject for a team like ferrari, they have the resources to develop a new diffuser and they will have it sooner or later, but what those 4 teams didn’t like was the slap in the face they got from a team that didn’t exist until march (or February not sure about that).
You are going to make me search for that :sad:.

QUOTE=Ibex;2264934When the technical directors from all the teams were meeting to finalise the rules for this year Ross Brawn specifically mentioned the diffuser loophole and suggested that the rules should be ammended to prevent it being exploited. But Renault vetoed it on the ground that it would be too restrictive.:doh:

And who is now saying that Brawn’s TV money from FOM should be given to the other teams to pay their diffuser development costs? Renault’s Flavio Briatore.

But as Adrian Newey & Red Bull have proved, there is as much downforce to be gained (for now at least) by getting the rest of the car right. You don’t need a split-level diffuser to be fast (but it helps). Nice to know that he still has that Newey magic.[/QUOTE]

Flavio is a very funny guy:p, and he get funnier when he realized that the Renault car cant keep up with the Brawn and the Toyota :bigsmile:, but strangely Renault had an update with a double diffuser right after the courts decision.
I loved the part when Ross Brawn said “If they think that only the diffuser makes the difference they might be a little disappointed” and probably he is right, Honda had almost 18 months of development.

I do usually watch the F1, but I do find it rather boring sometimes.

Give me BTCC or WTCC any day :slight_smile:

Its interesting whats really ON behind all those masks…

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2265162]I do usually watch the F1, but I do find it rather boring sometimes.

Give me BTCC or WTCC any day :)[/QUOTE]
The BTCC was fantastic in the Super Touring days (1990s) with the 2 race format, but I lost interest from 2001 onwards and I have only managed to watch a whole race once since coverage switched to ITV. The WTCC has become a bit of a joke with the rules for diesel cars, and allowing manufacturer teams to enter so many cars means that too much is dictated by team orders. And I really dislike gimicks such as reverse grids.

[QUOTE=chef;2265186]Its interesting whats really ON behind all those masks…[/QUOTE]
Did you watch the Malaysian Grand Prix? When the cars got back to the grid after the race was red flagged there was a radio conversation between Felipe Massa and his race engineer Rob Smedley. Felipe is in a real panic and says he need a clear visor now, Smedley replies “Felipe baby, stay cool!”.:cool:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2265393]Did you watch the Malaysian Grand Prix? When the cars got back to the grid after the race was red flagged there was a radio conversation between Felipe Massa and his race engineer Rob Smedley. Felipe is in a real panic and says he need a clear visor now, Smedley replies “Felipe baby, stay cool!”.:cool:[/QUOTE]

Yay, I think it was something like “Felipe Baby, stay cool, we bringing you the one visor, stay cool. Remain in your position, okay?” :smiley:

Really something

I don’t think that Felipe was cool, and he was not the only one.

[QUOTE=vroom;2265588]I don’t think that Felipe was cool, and he was not the only one.[/QUOTE]

Without doubt!!!

Have you watched Ferrari onboard channel? Then you would know why almost anyone was panic’ing. :wink:

[QUOTE=chef;2265874]Without doubt!!!

Have you watched Ferrari onboard channel? Then you would know why almost anyone was panic’ing. ;)[/QUOTE]what channel is that?

[QUOTE=chef;2265874]Without doubt!!!

Have you watched Ferrari onboard channel? Then you would know why almost anyone was panic’ing. ;)[/QUOTE]

:iagree:
Only the onbard during the race, and we (include the drivers) couldn’t see anything.

[QUOTE=Auzzie Kid;2265894]what channel is that?[/QUOTE]

I’ts a [B]FEED ONLY channel[/B], not for general viewers, and even more not the normal onboard channel you can see from the BBC…
Usually you can find them on 12.5w, also on 16e and 10e and sometimes on 43w. :slight_smile:

Anyone else think that McLaren were penalised fairly sensibly for the steward’s inquiry incident?

when field position and pit stop sequence determine the race because there are only limited opportunities for overtaking on the course…

Basically I have an issue with F1 course design.

when “team orders” are outlawed F1 will BECOME interesting.

Until then it will remain a game of politics more than “sport”

AD