Formatting RW's

vbimport

A friend of mine just gave me some DVD RW’S. I never really used them much. Can anyone tell me a good program to erase/format these disks’s?

You can use any you want, like Nero or the free ImgBurn :slight_smile:

I second the use of ImgBurn.

[QUOTE=The Kipper;2034297]I second the use of ImgBurn.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply. I tried to erase a DVD+RW and here is what happened.BTW I upgraded the driver before this erasure.
:30:13 Total Physical Memory: 1,038,076 KB - Available: 555,284 KB
I 11:30:13 Initialising SPTI…
I 11:30:13 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
I 11:30:13 Found 1 DVD±RW and 1 DVD±RW/RAM!
I 11:30:36 Operation Started!
I 11:30:36 Device: [0:0:0] LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S MS0R (D:) (ATA)
I 11:30:36 Media Type: DVD+RW (Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x)
I 11:30:36 Quick Erase: No
I 11:30:36 Erasing Disc…
W 11:30:36 DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME) Not Supported! - Update your motherboard / IDE drivers!!!
E 11:30:36 Failed to Erase Disc - Cannot Format Medium - Incompatible Medium
E 11:30:36 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:00

[quote=durkinjt;2034661]Thanks for the reply. I tried to erase a DVD+RW and here is what happened.

I 11:30:36 Media Type: DVD+RW (Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x)[/quote] Something is wrong here; CMC MAG M01 is recordable DVD+R media, NOT re-writable DVD+RW media.

I don’t know why the drive or ImgBurn is reporting them as DVD+RW but they are not re-writable.

The logo for +R/RW media often makes people confused because it says “RW” even for non-rewriteable media.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2034666]Something is wrong here; CMC MAG M01 is recordable DVD+R media, NOT re-writable DVD+RW media.

I don’t know why the drive or ImgBurn is reporting them as DVD+RW but they are not re-writable.

The logo for +R/RW media often makes people confused because it says “RW” even for non-rewriteable media.[/QUOTE] Thanks Upon looking further it does say DVD+R, and it does have a RW on the right side of the disk, but I was confused when Imgburn reported it as RW.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2034685]Thanks Upon looking further it does say DVD+R, and it does have a RW on the right side of the disk, but I was confused when Imgburn reported it as RW.[/QUOTE]

All plus media has the RW logo, its for RW Alliance…
Probably someone managed to put a wrong booktype on the disc???

When you told ImgBurn to erase the disc, were you prompted to select which type of disc it was?

The ‘Media Type’ displayed in the log doesn’t have to come from what ImgBurn gets from the drive, the user gets the chance to select it if it’s not obvious.

i.e.

If the drive says they’re DVD+R, ImgBurn will ask the user what the discs are. This is so it can deal with discs the drive reports as something they’re not.

If the drive says they’re DVD+RW, ImgBurn will NOT ask the user.