Formatting HDD!

Hello all i had a hardrive which was a bit kerplunked, so i decided to Format it but every time i did. It would get half way and stop so i deleted the partition on the drive in computer management and, made a new one then i tryed to format it again and the same thing happens! I dont want to install any games to it yet as i fear they will kerplunk too! Why can’t it just format??!?!

Any help would be very good, thank in advance.

Download diagnostic tools from the drive’s maker and run the long tests. If it fails, throw it away.

Not sure exactly what “a bit kerplunked” is, but I like it and I get the idea.

Recommend a little gem of a utility:
Active@ KillDisk .
I’ve been able to resurrect a few kerpluncked hdds that windows just couldn’t seem to get up and running smoothly using this app.

The freeware version (this is what I’ve used) basically is a watered-down version of the US DoD’s utility for data destruction. The freeware version will do a 1-pass overwrite with all 0’s.

Like I said, it’s free and it’s also easy to use. Be absolutely certain you have selected the correct hdd. You’ll receive several prompts and eventually have to type ERASE-ALL-DATA I usually disconnect the other drives anyway. The method I used was to make a MS-DOS boot disc and then a KILLDISK floppy, which obviously, is DOS program. Best to read the guide.
Simple and very effective.

If this fails, I’d do as CDan suggested and toss it.

Good luck…:wink:

[QUOTE=Melon7;1970254]Hello all i had a hardrive which was a bit kerplunked, so i decided to Format it but every time i did. It would get half way and stop so i deleted the partition on the drive in computer management and, made a new one then i tryed to format it again and the same thing happens! I dont want to install any games to it yet as i fear they will kerplunk too! Why can’t it just format??!?!

Any help would be very good, thank in advance.[/QUOTE]

It would be good to know what kinda HDD you have would go along way to find the correct fix…usually the HDD manufacture has software to wipe the HDD clean for a fresh install…Also what O/S are you installing also would be good to know…How many partitions do you have and what size of HDD is it?

Yeah I was silly not to supply those details im running Windows XP Home and like i said in my first post i made one partition.

and the Drive in question is a Seagate ST380011A.

I ran diagnostic software and its not looking too hopeful the drive failed the Long Generic test i posted on the Seagate forums to see if there is any hope.

Many Thanks Melon7

[QUOTE=Melon7;1970900]Yeah I was silly not to supply those details im running Windows XP Home and like i said in my first post i made one partition.

and the Drive in question is a Seagate ST380011A.

I ran diagnostic software and its not looking too hopeful the drive failed the Long Generic test i posted on the Seagate forums to see if there is any hope.

Many Thanks Melon7[/QUOTE]

Was the seagate program you used able to reformat the drive…So if their program isn’t able to format the drive most likely a fresh XP install won’t do it either…if that is the case your left with getting a new HDD unless that HDD is still under warranty then you should get a replacement…otherwise your left going to buy a new HDD to replace your defunct HDD now…