Formatting Error Message

Hello:

I am using InCD and trying to burn my first DVD with it. But:
When I go to Windows Explorer, rt-click the DVD drive, choose "InCD Format’ - Start - I receive the following error message:

“Error writing the disc in D: Please confirm that the disc is compatible with the drive and is not scratched or damaged.”

The disc is indeed compatible and is brand new. It is an Imation DVD+RW and my DVD burner vendor, Lite-On, informs me that there is no reason why this disk should not work with my burner.

I have InCD which came with a limited version of Nero 6 that came with my new Pentium 4 PC. My PC has plenty of resources to handle this operation.

Am I forgetting to do something here? Please let me know. Thank You.

Patrick

I have not found the answer to this in your FAQ or in any other search I did on the web, so does any guru out there have any ideas? Thanks.

packet writing software like InCD is crap, can lead to problems with other software, uninstall it, i’d just use your basic version of nero (version 6 hopefully) to write to your DVD+RW

read this this thread, it may be of some use to you

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=53834&page=1&pp=25

Thanks for your post.

But I am using an imaging program called Acronis True Image 9 that requires packet writing software. Is there another freeware version of packet-writing software that is easy to use and better than InCD so that I can have a replacement for InCD?

I have acronis TI version 8 and i don’t have packet writing installed

Ditto and SONIC DLA

I agree with Bjproc…stick to using Nero in its basic form.

Acronis Tech support told me that Packet writing software is REQUIRED in order to use True Image, version 9. I can’t just turn on Nero and then run True Image 9 and start the Drive Imaging.

BTW, those posts that were critical of packet writing SW were rather old. Are you sure it hasn’t improved substantially since they were written?

If not, give me some options please. I’m stuck with True Image, so what can I do to get some kind of Packet writing sw to work on my PC? Thanks.

I looked at the download page for Sonic DLA. It looks like it’s designed for HP laptops. Are you sure it’s OK for me to use it on my Velocity Micro desktop PC?

1.) No, packet writing software has not improved.

2.) By saying “Ditto and SONIC DLA” he meant that it was other poor software that should not be installed on your machine.

Acronis True Image 9 got excellent reviews in several reliable PC publications. And it requires packet writing software. I wonder how it got such reviews if the pw software is so bad?

The FAQ at Acronis says “DVD-RW, DVD+R(W)". Then this " — requires third-party DVD packet-writing software to be installed.”

So, you only need packet writing when burning to DVD+R(W) and not DVD-RW.

did they provide packet writing software with version 9, as it is needed, they shoud provide it, still think you can uninstall it and use your own burning software, it’ll still burn data etc.

No, the packet writing sw did not come with TI9. If it had, I’d be using it instead of INCD.

You wrote:
“still think you can uninstall it and use your own burning software, it’ll still burn data etc.”

Do you mean I can just start up Nero and then True Image 9 and then burn an image that way? Acronis says nay – I need packet writing sw.

I purchased Acronis ver9 after reading about the program on this site. I could not backup my disc image to DVDs also without InCD. My work around was to backup my image of C: to another partion and then burn the file to a blank DVD with Noro 6. Checked the file for readability with Acronis after each step and all verified OK. Acronis 9 is very easy to use. By the way it must use some form of compression during its backup 7gb of files on my hd. only produced a 3.9gb backup file.

You’re right Kipper. This appears to be the workaround to the problem.
I just created the backup to a secondary hard drive, without any problems. Then I used Nero 6 to burn the image files to DVD’s.

I made a mistake in thinking that packet writing SW was needed to make True Image WORK. It isn’t. You only need it if you are creating the image directly to DVD. That’s what the cause of my confusion was.

It’s too bad that True Image doesn’t let you burn directly to DVD (that would have been a nice, convenient feature), but if the packet writing software just isn’t technologically sound yet, then there’s nothing you can do about it. Using a secondary drive isn’t as simple, but it’s a reasonable second-best solution. So that’s what I’ll do.
Thanks everyone, for your posts.

thats what i did, backed it up to another partition, sorry i didn’t mention it before :o