Formatting bd-re 50gb dual layer blu ray discs

vbimport

Ive gone through the process of ripping blu ray discs to a hard drive using ANY DVD (which is a great easy to use product) then burning them to blank BD discs,however the process has proved costly with the current price of BD discs and the failure rate of turning BD discs into coasters,mainly due to the quality of the blank discs so im trying to suss out how to put these blu ray films onto hard drive and then playing them through a 1080p western digital media player but have been told that i will need to rip them to a different formatt than i am presently using with any dvd, has any one got an easy answer to this one and take it easy on me cause im no techno wizz

[QUOTE=igg;2522192]Ive gone through the process of ripping blu ray discs to a hard drive using ANY DVD (which is a great easy to use product) then burning them to blank BD discs,however the process has proved costly with the current price of BD discs and the failure rate of turning BD discs into coasters,mainly due to the quality of the blank discs so im trying to suss out how to put these blu ray films onto hard drive and then playing them through a 1080p western digital media player but have been told that i will need to rip them to a different formatt than i am presently using with any dvd, has any one got an easy answer to this one and take it easy on me cause im no techno wizz[/QUOTE]

First where are you getting your 50G BD- I have yet to even see them at the most 25G BD. Also what software are you using to rip the BD? Knowing the software you using would help figure what your doing. Also who told you that you need to rip to different format? And not knowing what format your using would help as well. So you see what your asking is to general and not giving enough details of what your trying to do further makes assumptions whether your doing them or not.

firstly the software used to rip the discs to hard drive was explained at the start of my question that you responded to,however i will repeat it it is ANY DVD HD (and it has the ability to rip blu ray discs)
Secondly I was told by two suppliers of media players who advertise on the net that they did not think that any media player on the market would recognise the formatt i am presently using (ANY DVD) however one of the suppliers stated that i could probarbly take the data that i had ripped to hard drive and modify it to a formatt that the media player would recognise but he failed to say how this was done and being an emptyhead i cant work it out myself.
And thirdly if you look up ebay you will find plenty of suppliers of blank BD-R and BD rewritables with the 50 gb dual layers mainly coming from Japan from the likes of JP-GIFT and NIKONEKOYA.com you can also get 25 gb Bd discs from them and i have also got 25 gb bd discs from australian suppliers,but just a word of warning when getting 50gb bd discs go for those that have not been repacked.(for further imfo on this issue go back to the relevant forum on this site).hope tis gives you enough to enable you to give advice on overcoming my problem.

Once you rip a commercially made blu ray movie to the hard drive, it is still in blu ray format, it simply does not have the copy protection anymore. That is removed by AnyDVD HD unless you specifically choose to leave it in (don’t do that by the way).

So, there is nothing wrong or even changed about the format of the movie. It should burn straight to a BD-R or BD-RE disk of the correct size using ImgBurn and the UDF 2.5 setting. If using 50gb BD-RE, you’ll have to format using ImgBurn beforehand, and the very first format has to be a complete format…which will take a very long time. Go to Tools–>Drive–>Erase disk (same as format in ImgBurn)–>Full erase. Or you can hit the little disc icon with red in it on the main window of ImgBurn to do the same thing.

I would suggest using Japanese made 50gb disks for now. I’m not sure if Verbatim is offering them yet.

The regular Verbatim 25gb disks are fine, but I wouldn’t use their LTH 25gb disks unless you are certain that your burner and ALL of your blu ray equipment is compatible with the LTH disks (they use organic dye instead of an inorganic burning layer).

Thank,s Kerry,i am not having problems with either ripping blu ray’s with ANY DVD then burning them using imageburn (except for Avatar) but like a lot of others i am having problems with the quality of the repackaged 50 gb dual layer discs,consequently i am looking at another way of backing up my blu ray discs and that is to rip and store them to an external hard drive then play them on a WD 1080p capable media player but my problem is the suppliers of the media player have told me that they may not recognise the formatt that ANY DVD ripps to,and yet oyhers have told me that the media player will recognise this formatt,hence im utterly confused and looking for advice??

If the player will not recognize blu ray file structure, or blu ray ISO files, then you might have to put them into .mkv files (if the media player can handle that format). I don’t have that WD media player, and haven’t researched its capabilities, so I’m not much help on what it can play.

You can use MakeMKV for free while it is in beta. There is a 60 day time limit, but you should be able to download the latest version to start the 60 day limit again. This program does not reencode the video.
http://www.makemkv.com/

You can also follow this guide, using other tools: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/309479-Blu-Ray-to-MKV-with-optioinal-multi-language-audio-subtitle-support