Formatting bd-re 50gb dual layer blu ray discs

vbimport

I am having difficulties with burning data to 50 gb dual layer blu ray discs’I am able to rip the original discs to the computer hard drive using ANY DVD however when attempting to burn this data onto a dual layer disc using imageburn only about 50 % of them burn ok which means I have wasted some 5 discs and as they are quite expensive I thought that by firstly burning them to a rewritable disc to check if they would burn ok I could them burn the data to an non rewritable 50gb blu ray disc.
Well first off I tried the process using a 25gb rewritable and image burn told me the disc required formatting and did I wish them to format the disc, to which I answered yes, and the disc was formatted correctly and was able to have data burnt to it, however when attempting the same procedure with a 50gb dual layer disc, imageburn again told me that the disc required formatting and did I want them to formatt it for me, to which I answered yes however image burn symbols came up telling me that they were erasing the disc and this process was carried out showing the % of erasing being carried out ,but on reaching 100% the tab comes back up telling me the disc needs to be formatted .
Can you tell me how I can formatt this disc,and I must stress I have a very limited knowledge of computer skills.
Regards igg

Hello igg, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Your thread belongs in the ‘Blu-ray Hardware, Software and Media’ forum, also you made a ‘poll’ probably by accident so we will fix that. :wink:

My 5 cents: it took me about 1.5 hours per disk for initial formatting. After that I did the quick eraze and it started burning right away.

Thank’s toshiki can I ask what programme you used to do the quick eraze?(keeping in mind im no whiz with computers,also I have used 50gb discs from jpgift and had problems burning with imageburn,so I am of the opinion the problem lies with imageburn or perhaps the ripping process carried out by ANY DVD however it might be worth your trying to burn a 50gb disc after disabling the verify box in imageburn.

Latest version of ImageBurn 2.5.1.0 has formatting and eraze functions. Tools->Drive->Eraze Disk->Quick/Full
I can format/eraze/burnTDK BD-RE 50 Gb using Imageburn and AnyDVD no problem.

Thank’s toshiki can I ask what programme you used to do the quick eraze?(keeping in mind im no whiz with computers,also I have used 50gb discs from jpgift and had problems burning with imageburn,so I am of the opinion the problem lies with imageburn or perhaps the ripping process carried out by ANY DVD however it might be worth your trying to burn a 50gb disc after disabling the verify box in imageburn.

thank,s toshiki got to go to work will try later on today and let you know how it went,I mentioned disabling verify in imageburn as I have been told that depending what other software you have it may be verifying twice so I tried disabling it and it marginally increased my success rate on 50gb discs and i have not had one failure with 25gb discs

just a stupid question but how did you carry out the initial formatting of the disc? i tried what you said for the quick eraze but on opening up imageburn and clicking on tools the drive tab was greyed out and i do not know how to allow access to drive>eraze disc. when attempting to burn data to the 50gb re disc imageburn tells me that the disc needs to be formatted and would i like them to format it know on clicking yes it goes through the process of erazing the disk and shows the % carried out and on reaching 100% it again tells me that the disc needs formatting, i also understand that once the disc has been initially formatted you can write over it without erazing the present data?

initial formatting
…is only needed once.

You’ll need to put the Imageburn into the write mode and select the file to be burned. Go ahead with the write - it would complain about non-formatted disk and would suggest formatting.

well i tried that but in another form, my way of burning data from the hard drive to a blank disc is to open imageburn click on mode>build then drag and drop the data from the file i have ripped it to and then image burn burns the blu ray image to the disc (sometimes),however after dropping the data into the build mode i went to tools>eraze disc>quick-full i then click on full and imageburn tells me that a full eraze can take a long time as it will eraze all data from the disc i then click on full and then think about what i am going to do for the long time it will take to fully eraze the disc but i dont have long to think because the erazing process is over in approx 30 secs, so i then decide to try quick eraze but image burn tells me it cant do a quick burn’ as this disc requires a full eraze so i dont know what is going on>help>help>help

I don’t Format anything, I use Verbatim BD-R or BD-R DL depending on the size of the Blu-ray Movie. I use ImgBurn Build Mode and put in the Folders BDMV and Certificate, put in the blank BD-R and Burn away. I have no problems ImgBurn does all the work…Great Program! :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2511331]I don’t Format anything, I use Verbatim BD-R or BD-R DL depending on the size of the Blu-ray Movie. I use ImgBurn Build Mode and put in the Folders BDMV and Certificate, put in the blank BD-R and Burn away. I have no problems ImgBurn does all the work…Great Program! :cool:[/QUOTE]

Yeah but the question was about BD-RE media :slight_smile:

yeah the question was about rewritable discs and if he can get away without formatting a RE disc I would love for him to share the method?however I may be on to something as I have attempted to formatt the 50GB-RE disc on another programme I think was called H.P media player or program and it came installed in a H.P notebook which had blu ray reader and writer installed’ and so far ive been able to format one of the three.
And a question for alchad21 if your not having problems burning 50GB BD discs can you tell us if your using repacked discs and if so how do you burn them without failure and the answer might be in who do you purchase these discs from and what is the price (approx)

well it got a little better,T was able to format all three discs ok,and I am having a great success rate in burning 50GB-DL discs,
What I am doing has no logic behind it but here goes 1st I rip the data to my external hard drive using ANY DV I 1st right click on any dvd then enable it where the little fox changes to red then left click any dvd to start the program then click the settings that come up.then click ok and right click on the little red fox symbol then click burn image to hard drive(you have to wait for any dvd to tell you it is scanning the disc then start the ripping process.
Once ripped diable any dvd to where thr little fox goes grey.
I then burn the the data from my hard drive to a 50 GB-DL Rewritable disc using imageburn and if that burns without problems try it on your blu ray player and again if picture is ok go ahead and burn it to a blank 50GB-DL non rewritable disc.and to date have burnt six without failure,so I am keeping my fingers crossed not that I have many more to do,O and one other thing I uncheck the verify box prior to commencing the burn.

[QUOTE=toshik1;2510057]Latest version of ImageBurn 2.5.1.0 has formatting [U][B]and[/B][/U] eraze functions.
Tools->Drive->Eraze Disk->Quick/Full [/QUOTE]
You say ImgBurn 2.5.1.0 has formatting [U][B]and[/B][/U] erase functions

I have now ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 and in Tools->Drive->
I have :

• Erase Disk->Quick/Full
    and
  • SmartErase ->Quick/Full

Is one of these 4 options a [B]« formatting [U]only[/U] function » [/B]?