Formatting a portable HDD to use with a TV

vbimport

I have a 1TB Western Digital portable hard drive that I use to watch and store movies and TV programs. I have just switched to an Apple MacBook Pro from a Windows 7 laptop and at first I realised that my MacBook wouldn’t let me write new files to the device, so I formatted it which was fine until I connected it to my Samsung Smart TV via USB and now my TV doesn’t pick it up. I have transferred the contents of the drive onto my MacBook and now I need to format the device so that it will be compatible with both my MacBook and my TV.

This thread from another forum suggests to use exfat instead of ntfs or fat32. I have never used it, but I have a wd portable drive like you and it offers the file system through format. May be worth a try.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22597519

That option worked for that user, but I want my Samsung TV to recognise the hard drive too. I’ve got it working, but there are some other folders on there that I didn’t put there. One is called .Spotlight-V100 and the other is called .Trashes and I was wondering if there might be a way of hiding these other folders

I just formatted a usb flash drive using exfat and can confirm that it plays videos on a Sumsung Smart tv. I have no mac, so I can not help you there. Good luck.

[QUOTE=Garybrown02;2731340]That option worked for that user, but I want my Samsung TV to recognise the hard drive too. I’ve got it working, but there are some other folders on there that I didn’t put there. One is called .Spotlight-V100 and the other is called .Trashes and I was wondering if there might be a way of hiding these other folders[/QUOTE]

The spotlight and trash folders were created by mac. The spotlight folder serves as a catalog index to make it quicker to find any files or folders on the drive. The trash folder is like the recycle bin.

Both can be deleted and cause no harm. It just makes searching for files or folders slightly longer on a Mac system.

If you want, you can hide them through a command prompt:

attrib filename +h

My external is formatted NTFS .
It is a Rosewill dock with a SATA HDD.
It works on my Windows computer & my Aquos Sharp TV via USB.
I don’t know about a Mac.