Forgotten Laptop Password

vbimport

I have a HP Touchsmart - Model # TX2-1274nr. How can I reset my password as I have forgotten it. HP will not give me technical support as laptop is out of warranty. Clues to the password does not help. Is there a simple way of doing this?

Welcome aboard :slight_smile:

If you’re lucky, you may be able to reset the password by removing both the main battery and the real-time clock battery for 5 minutes.

See page 39 of the service manual on how to remove the real-time clock battery (link)

What Sean proposes might work for the bios password. But if you have a password in the operating system, before you can log on, it won’t.

You can try to reset the operating system password with this tool: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ You should read the FAQ’s at that site before trying to use it.

There is also a walkthrough showing the steps taken while using the program.

Try here at your own risk.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2567068]Try here at your own risk.[/QUOTE]

I’ve given this a try on a neighbour’s Acer TravelMate laptop, as I tried getting into the BIOS to change the boot order only to find that the BIOS setup was password protected. :doh:

The owner did not set it, but with a sticker on it saying “Provided by xxx solutions. Please call (phone #) or bring to (address) for support.”, the store she bought it had the cheek to lock the BIOS. The Phoenix generic brute-force worked, which used the code from the “System Disabled” message to generate the password. Sure enough, once I got in, I saw that the “Press F12 boot menu” option was set to “Disabled” and the boot priority was set to HDD first.

I found a customer’s computer locked and my hidden admin account deleted.

It took all of 20 seconds to bypass their password… I started the computer, but before it finished
booting I chopped the power. then restarted it and then puts up the “windows experienced an unexpected shutdown” and gives you the option of starting in safe mode (or bios) deleting the password in bios often works.

there’s nothing like showing someone that their password only really offers a false sense of security.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2572892]I found a customer’s computer locked and my hidden admin account deleted.

It took all of 20 seconds to bypass their password… I started the computer, but before it finished
booting I chopped the power. then restarted it and then puts up the “windows experienced an unexpected shutdown” and gives you the option of starting in safe mode (or bios) deleting the password in bios often works.

there’s nothing like showing someone that their password only really offers a false sense of security.

AD[/QUOTE]

Not to mention forgetting password that was intended for just the user isn’t a good way of security as well. And also password protecting the HDD is worthless if you forget that password as well. Password protect is just like your said false sense of security especially when the owner forget the password.

easiest thing I have found is ophcrack, go to this link and download the live cd:
http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/
I haven’t tried this software on a computer with windows 7, but I assume the vista disk would work

burn onto a blank CD and then boot the computer with the cd. (make sure the cd/dvd drive is the first device your laptop is using to boot, you can change the options in the BIOS)

Sit back and see what it finds…