Forcing slow burn speeds?

vbimport

I’ve got an LG Super Multi drive identifies itself as the below.
Device Description HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20

Now i’m a n00b with regards to this but how do I force slow burns, I select 4x in Burrrrn and it ends up burning at 16x and when I do discs in Nero it will only let me do a 16x.

Is there a programme I can use to force slow burns or do I need a firmware change?

The only reason I want slow burning is for discs for a rather picky Nakamichi car stereo that seemed to skip less when I used to do slow burns on my old Sony Optiarc.

Are there any proven reasoning’s behind this or is it all placebo effect?

Ta very much
James

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download This will let you set your burn speed. It is also free and does so much more.

Are there any proven reasoning’s behind this or is it all placebo effect?

What media are you using?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/slow-write-speeds-modern-drives-modern-media-no-good-247643/

Hi,[quote=Skeelsie;2189675]I’ve got an LG Super Multi drive identifies itself as the below.
Device Description HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20

Now i’m a n00b with regards to this but how do I force slow burns, I select 4x in Burrrrn and it ends up burning at 16x and when I do discs in Nero it will only let me do a 16x.

Is there a programme I can use to force slow burns or do I need a firmware change?[/quote]No. 16x is the lowest speed that is supported by your drive for that media. There is no way to circumvent this “limitation”. Additionally, modern media isn’t designed to be burned at extremely low speeds. Results might be often better at higher speeds.

The only reason I want slow burning is for discs for a rather picky Nakamichi car stereo that seemed to skip less when I used to do slow burns on my old Sony Optiarc.

The playability of CD-R on picky players is determined by the drive [B]and[/B] the media. You might try other media and see if you get better results.

Michael

Thanks for the links and the help.

Img burn installed, great bit of freeware.

At the moment I must say price and in store avaliabilty has dictated my media choice, Kodak branded media seems to cause most grief and has a higher failure rate, it was under £5 for 50 in Tesco (incidently it seems to be identical to their own brand media)

Now using Sony (Green label spindle 50DCQ80SP5A) and that seem less prone to skipping.

I’ve seen a good deal on some older Verbatim media, someone on another forum suggested this may be the same as Taiyo Yuden which I was aware of being top stuff as far back as when they still manufactured compact cassette.

Hi,quote=Skeelsie;2191209
I’ve seen a good deal on some older Verbatim media, someone on another forum suggested this may be the same as Taiyo Yuden which I was aware of being top stuff as far back as when they still manufactured compact cassette.[/quote]Verbatim has several sources for their CD-R (DVD blanks also). Taiyo Yuden made Verbatims can be easily identified by the “Made in Japan” marking on the spindle.
I would not recommend “Made in India” Verbatims for Audio CD in combination with picky players.

Michael

Excellent i’ll look out for Jap discs.

Nice to see they haven’t outsourced everything to China.

Having good results with the Sony x50 (Sony Europe, eastern Europe) blanks from Play.com

Did 12 discs at 24x and all have prooved skip free though the spin up times of the disc seem to be quite long. Is this something to do with the laser measuring the power needed to focus or TOC issues?

When I do a CD-R Audio disc on my standalone Philips CDR870 the discs read almost instantly.

Apologies if i’m not au fait with the technology behind it but i’m eager to learn.

Hi,[quote=Skeelsie;2191730]Excellent i’ll look out for Jap discs.[/quote]These are very rare :slight_smile: Since you live in UK, you may look for Taiyo Yuden at svp.co.uk

Nice to see they haven’t outsourced everything to China.
:disagree: Made in China CD-R are already on the market. “Made in China” Verbatim CD-R aren’t that bad. At least they work with my extremely picky player.

Having good results with the Sony x50 (Sony Europe, eastern Europe) blanks from Play.com
That’s nice :slight_smile:

Did 12 discs at 24x and all have prooved skip free though the spin up times of the disc seem to be quite long. Is this something to do with the laser measuring the power needed to focus or TOC issues?
No idea at the moment. Is that spinup time different if you use different discs?

Cheers,
Michael